TEAM SHELBY FORUM

smokers car

Torched10

im looking at a car thatwas owned by a smoker--do any of you folks know if that smell can be removed permanenly?? Seems that once it gets into the headliner--its done.Owner is telling me he can have an ionization process remove the smell--any thoughts would be great thanks

im looking at a car thatwas owned by a smoker--do any of you folks know if that smell can be removed permanenly?? Seems that once it gets into the headliner--its done.Owner is telling me he can have an ionization process remove the smell--any thoughts would be great thanks

I think eventually it will go away. I stopped smoking when I was 23. Had the same car for around 6 years afterwards and it didn't smell.

I think eventually it will go away. I stopped smoking when I was 23. Had the same car for around 6 years afterwards and it didn't smell.

I am a non-smoker. In my opinion it never goes away. There are many masking techniques, but for someone who has never smoked, I can smell beyond the illusion. Find another vehicle.

gut the interior...and this i coming from a smoker anyone who would smoke in a car is not someone I want to buy a car from....convertible or non headlined truck....maybe but not a modern car...smoke is game over...i don't think you can ionize it out....are you talking to a salesman? haha Cheers and i'd pass on this car as well..imo it's ruined.

I say buy it, if it's what you want and you feel it was well taken care of, and no burn marks of course. I used to smoke in my truck (never my stangs though) all the time and I quit close to a year ago and you def. Can not smell smoke....my wife(never a smoker) and my kids who hate cigarettes will also vouch for that....so if it's right and price is sweet don't pass it up, especially he is even offering a cleaning service for it, you would be nuts in my op...

i guess hiw good of a deal is it? there are lots for sale to have a problem.

Better to spend more and have no issues. However, if it's a "smoking deal" see how much a new headliner and related material costs. Or have the guy clean it an give him the dough after it works. If it at a dealer I'd bet they already tried once...;@)

If you live in a climate where some one smoked with the windows up not good.

It also depends on the smoker. I am a smoker and I always have the window partially open when I smoke. When I am done, I roll the window half way or more and let the car air out for a couple of minutes while going down the highway. If he used an ash tray and kept ashes and butts in it, it will smell even worse. So it depends on the smoker and how he takes care of the car. I have seen people going down the road smoking with the windows up all the way. I don't know how they can breath by time they are done. Those are the cars that I would stay away from.

The smell will be difficult to fully remove but it can be done. I worked for Hertz for over 27 years and had the use of any car in the fleet I chose. Frequently a "non-smoking car" would have a heavy smoker odor and I couldn't stand the odor so I developed my own "de-smoking" process. First, clean the interior thoroughly with a cleaner such as 409, lightly misting the headliner. Secondly spray 409 into the A/C vents then drive the car a day or so leaving the A/C in the regular A/C mode NOT Max Air. Lastly, and please don't laugh, but I leave a couple of banana peels in the car on a hot day with all of the windows shut. The peels seem to soak up the odor. Then just drive the car on regular A/C mode until the odor is gone or barely detectable. Changing the Cabin Air Filter located under the passenger side Cowl cover will help greatly also. Not very scientific but it worked for me. regards, Larry

I don't think it can be gotten rid of without gutting it. I can always smell if a car has been smoked in. even hotel rooms that have been designated still smell like smoke.

+1. Also the commercial brands from the major companies stink compared to American Spirits. So brand matters...seriously.

I am a non-smoker. In my opinion it never goes away. There are many masking techniques, but for someone who has never smoked, I can smell beyond the illusion. Find another vehicle.

I agree. Rental cars are in most states by law non smoking. Same with hotels. I can tell instantly if someone has broken the law...

I used a couple of products from Griot's with some success. Odor Exterminator and Stinky-Be-Gone (yes that's the name). I wouldn't count on it fixing the problem completely if the smell in the car is very bad. Mine was barely noticeable in the vert when I purchased it. Spent a significant amount of time cleaning and detailing the interior as well.

thanks for all the inputs--i drove the car again today AFTER it had been treated with the ozone pump deal--it was better but my eyes are still hurting me 4 hours later. I checked with a good frined whos been detailing cars forever and he told me youll never get it out complteely--im very sensitive to smoke, so guess ill move on, and i only drove it for 20 minutes

thanks for all the inputs--i drove the car again today AFTER it had been treated with the ozone pump deal--it was better but my eyes are still hurting me 4 hours later. I checked with a good frined whos been detailing cars forever and he told me youll never get it out complteely--im very sensitive to smoke, so guess ill move on, and i only drove it for 20 minutes

It's not just the oder you have to deal with, it's that yellow film that gets all over the inside of the car.

You would need to replace the headliner and the carpet then clean EVERY surface in the car to get out about 90 percent of the tar left from the cigs so you will NEVER be able to get it all. It gets in the foam in the seats too.

I used to buy a lot of collecable die-casts off of e-bay and you could always tell if it came from a smokers house. Open the shipping box and you could smell cigs right off the bat. And a lot of sellers use that as a selling point "owned by a NON SMOKER IN A NON SMOKING HOME", etc.

If you don't like the smell of smoke, pass on the deal 'cuz contrary to what some are telling you, you will NOT be able to get it all out. Maybe I just have a more sensitive nose but *I* can tell if someone has smoked in a car, regardless of how clean you THINK you get it. And when the car sits in the sun, it brings it out too.

Phill

thanks Phil--i decdied to just buy new--im replacing my 2003 with an 11--Caddy has a special deal thru sunday 6500 rebate---its alot more than the used one,but low mileage EXTs are hard to find

I say buy it, if it's what you want and you feel it was well taken care of, and no burn marks of course. I used to smoke in my truck (never my stangs though) all the time and I quit close to a year ago and you def. Can not smell smoke....my wife(never a smoker) and my kids who hate cigarettes will also vouch for that....so if it's right and price is sweet don't pass it up, especially he is even offering a cleaning service for it, you would be nuts in my op...

I don't want to highjack this thread but I just want to know how you quit. I started smoking when I was 16 and quit easily when I was 18. I got into boxing and swimming so that really helped. But then work got me smoking again and no time to box or swim. I started smoking again around 25 and I'm 29 now and I've finished step 1 to 3 of Nicoderm CQ but got back to smoking again when I got really stressed out. It is starting to scare me that it would be part of my life. You can PM me your response. Thanks.

Oh and I won't buy the car that smells like smoke. I don't even smoke in my car. If I am really itchy to smoke, I pull over and smoke outside.

I don't want to highjack this thread but I just want to know how you quit. I started smoking when I was 16 and quit easily when I was 18. I got into boxing and swimming so that really helped. But then work got me smoking again and no time to box or swim. I started smoking again around 25 and I'm 29 now and I've finished step 1 to 3 of Nicoderm CQ but got back to smoking again when I got really stressed out. It is starting to scare me that it would be part of my life. You can PM me your response. Thanks.

Oh and I won't buy the car that smells like smoke. I don't even smoke in my car. If I am really itchy to smoke, I pull over and smoke outside.

I used chantix, a prescription pill taken twice a day once in the morning and once at night. My results while taken it are....that it makes the cig taste like complete crap, like a metal taste...also what it does is please the receptors in your brain saying you want that nicotine....I highly recommend it but there are some mild side effects like nausea and Bad dreams ( personally I love the dreams though)....good luck ....

Archived