TEAM SHELBY FORUM

87 Octane, woops.

Pulled up to the station the other day with about 40 miles till empty. (Around 3.5 gallons left in the tank of 93 octane). It was hot, and I was in a bit of a rush so I told the guy fill it up, 87. Mind you, I drove my wrangler earlier that day so thats maybe why I had 87 stuck in my head. After about 30 seconds or so I realized what I had done, jumped out of the car and stopped the pump. It put about 5.8 gallons of regular 87 octane gas in. I could not believe what I did. I then filled it the rest of the way with 93 and only put in about 4.3 gallons of that. My tank was in between 3/4 and full. Figuring the combo I had in the tank, I was thinking it was around 89 octane? But still, our cars stock require 91 octane MINIMUM.

Driving, I could definitely feel the difference. The car doesn't pull like it normally does and I'm sure it is NOT happy with the fuel in there since I have it dyno tuned for 93 octane. (Along with all of my other engine mods). I decided to just let her idle in my driveway for a while. Then took her for a cruise taking it easy. I'm a little below half a tank now, but figure I might as well just keep going till I'm empty and then fill it with 93. I don't want to keep mixing.

Anyone ever have this "brain fart"? lol :hammer_self: :doh:

Anyone ever have this "brain fart"? lol :hammer_self: :doh:

Yeah, been there and done that, fortunately never in one of my cars (LOL). I was in Central America about 20 years ago and had a Toyota Van rental vehicle on military business. I stopped at a little Podunk gas station in the middle of nowhere to get gas. There were two pumps which I assumed to be premium and regular. I put about 5 gallons in the tank and then noticed a diesel smell. The nozzles were the same size and looked similar. It was then I notice I was pumping diesel fuel unknowing. I stopped the pump and filled it the rest of the way with gasoline. It would only run about 25 mph and smoked like World War I four-stack Destroyer lying down a smoke screen. For the next two weeks each time I got it down to about a quarter tank I’d add more gasoline. By the end of the three-week deployment the van would run about 50 mph and only smoked like an old Chevy with no valve stems left.

I don't think it will hurt it unless there's pinging, would it? Just baby it and keep adding back the 93.

Make sure your dealer doesn't find out, it will void your warranty. Does your fuel door have the 91+ sticker on it? I'm surprised someone filling it up wouldn't notice it.

Look at my mod list in my signature. My warranty is LONG gone haha.

Don't do it. I have, and it screwed the plugs up.

I would never use that stuff. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about octane boosters. I'm almost on empty and will be filling it up with 93 tomorrow!

Nope, can't say I've ever put the wrong octane in or put gas in my diesels (knocking on wood so I don't do it in the future, either).

I don't ever put 93 octane in our SGT. I only put 91 in it. Of course, that's because 91 is the highest pump octane we can put in up at altitude. :D

One of these days, I may try 94 octane (or 98 - whatever the low octane race gas is out here) to see how it likes it.

Archived