TEAM SHELBY FORUM

POWER SLOT cryo rotors

After reading many topics on brakes I have decided to upgrade my brakes soon.

Anyone heard of "POWER SLOT cryo rotors"?

I will be installing 20" rims so size is not gonna be an issue. Actually larger rotors could look better.

Should I do slotted rotors only, or slotted and drilled, or Baer Eradispeed brakes, or Shelby "GT" Plus Brake ?

Price has its limits, if I was rich i would have a GT500 Super Snake instead of a SGT.

Does cryo help?

Car is for spirited street driving and car shows. What are your opinions? All are welcome.

Dominick

Cryo used to be done to engine parts. The theory was the dropping the temp so low compacted the molecules of the part thus making them stronger and they could hold up better. With technology today it could be just used as a sales gimmic. I would want to see data proving it made a difference.

CC

Ive used them on my explorer with good results but i have also used noncryo treated ones on the race track. I upgraded my 07 in Jan 08 with GT500 Brembos and brakeperformance slotted and dimpled rotors and have had them on the track numerous times with nothing but outstanding performance..

After reading many topics on brakes I have decided to upgrade my brakes soon.

Does cryo help?

Car is for spirited street driving and car shows. What are your opinions? All are welcome.

Dominick

Increased abrasive wear resistance.

Only one permanent treatment required.

Creates a denser molecular structure. The result is a larger contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear.

Changes steel structure, not just the surface.

Eliminates thermal shock through a dry, computer driven process.

Forms micro-fine carbide fillers to enhance large carbide structures.

Decrease residual stresses.

Increases tensile strength, toughness and stability coupled with the release of internal stresses

Many road racers have told me to stay away from drilled, slotted are OK and the two piece rotors even better. It all depends on how often you'll be on the course and type of driving. So far with my GT500 Brembos stock the rotors are holding up quite well but I've added cooling ducts which helps big time in keeping the temps down.

Creates a denser molecular structure. The result is a larger contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear.

Increases tensile strength, toughness and stability coupled with the release of internal stresses

I have been reading into this process....

I think i wanna try the cryo sloted rotors on my truck and

the non cryo slotted rotors on my SGT.

Anyone put them on a truck? I tow all summer, my stock brakes suck once they are warmed up.

"So far with my GT500 Brembos stock the rotors are holding up quite well but I've added cooling ducts which helps big time in keeping the temps down."

I may do that too.

I'm really very skeptical about this.

It seems to me the first heat cycle in even a normal brake procedure will have at least as much effect as cold, and negate whatever changes the "cryo" treatment might have imposed.

I'll bet that careful measurement before and after cryo-treatment will reveal negligible change in surface contact area. And if what I'm after is stopping power, why would I want to reduce friction? Or heat? What brakes do is transform kinetic energy into heat energy, right?

To me the list of benefits reads like one of those Mechanix Illustrated ads for something like "Fire Ring Spark Plugs" or the little fan that sits under a carburetor.

Of course I could be wrong, but "cryo" has been out there for quite a few years, and it hasn't conquered the market.

Plus which, I know that:

"In this universe there are things

that just don't yield to thinking

—plain or fancy—Dude".

—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

I'm really very skeptical about this.

It seems to me the first heat cycle in even a normal brake procedure will have at least as much effect as cold, and negate whatever changes the "cryo" treatment might have imposed.

I'll bet that careful measurement before and after cryo-treatment will reveal negligible change in surface contact area. And if what I'm after is stopping power, why would I want to reduce friction? Or heat? What brakes do is transform kinetic energy into heat energy, right?

To me the list of benefits reads like one of those Mechanix Illustrated ads for something like "Fire Ring Spark Plugs" or the little fan that sits under a carburetor.

Of course I could be wrong, but "cryo" has been out there for quite a few years, and it hasn't conquered the market.

Plus which, I know that:

"In this universe there are things

that just don't yield to thinking

—plain or fancy—Dude".

—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

Yeah it's been around a while and it might be snake oil as far as rotors go but I started having my barrels treated in the late 90's and I'm a believer considering the results.

more info:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=83

002-3.jpg

Archived