TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spark Plugs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

41,780 miles. I have to use it as a daily driver. Hopefully I will not have to in the near future.

• 3 months later...

I had the Spark Plugs replaced on my 07 Vert. Last Friday at My Friendly Ford Dealer.

Car has 42,000 miles on it. Three of the plugs had the porcelain broken off at center electrode.

What a difference in the performance.Retail price on the plugs $25.00 ea.

Terry

07H350

Terry

So you had the infamous two piece plug in yours? I just replaced the two piece plugs in mine with the Champion one piece.

Just a suggestion, but if the plugs have never been replaced you may want to consider having a Ford Dealer do the work. The plugs are notorious for breaking and could be a real problem getting out. If Ford breaks them, well the problem is theirs. Just a thought. regards, Larry

Before you remove the spark plugs there is a procedure to keep them from breaking off inside your engine. A procedure to pre lubricate them to take them out and prevent them from binding up. That procedure is listed in the TSB. Also what to do if they break off in your engine:

http://www.phila.gov...7-06%20FORD.pdf

Just a suggestion, but if the plugs have never been replaced you may want to consider having a Ford Dealer do the work. The plugs are notorious for breaking and could be a real problem getting out. If Ford breaks them, well the problem is theirs. Just a thought. regards, Larry

Larry

my understanding is this isn't a warranty item and even if ford breaks them they are going to charge you extra time to fix. I followed the TSB and everything was fine. I have slightly more than 25,000 miles. The sooner you change them the better.

John

I had the Spark Plugs replaced on my 07 Vert. Last Friday at My Friendly Ford Dealer.

Car has 42,000 miles on it. Three of the plugs had the porcelain broken off at center electrode.

What a difference in the performance.Retail price on the plugs $25.00 ea.

Terry

07H350

Terry,

Did the Ford dealership follow the TSB and blow the crap out of the spark plug wells and prep the threads for removal as shown in the attached TSB ?

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%20Recalls/tsb08-07-06%20FORD.pdf

If anyone goes into a Ford dealership to have them remove the pklugs, you should bring a copy of the TSB and make sure they follow it.

I left the car at the dealership in the afternoon.They soaked the plugs overnight.They had no problem getting them out.

Three of the plugs had the porcelain broken off at center electrode.Most likely low octane gas as a rental car.Runs much better now.

Terry

07H350

I left the car at the dealership in the afternoon.They soaked the plugs overnight.They had no problem getting them out.

Three of the plugs had the porcelain broken off at center electrode.Most likely low octane gas as a rental car.Runs much better now.

Terry

07H350

Terry if don't mind me asking how much did your dealer charge for that plug replacement and what else was done? I see that plugs were $25@ retail. What was the labor? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My son just had his replaced on his 3V 5.4 truck at 100,00 miles, two were broken off. The TSB didn't work at that mileage, the ford dealer charge was $535.00 in Kentucky. I don't know if they broke any of the six others or not. I'm having the 07 GTH done at 29,000 miles by ford. Harley

• 4 weeks later...

i have about 45,ooo miles on mine and i removed the plugs on the pass. side yesterday and no problem.sprayed a bit of wd 40 and let sit for a few min.the plugs where in pretty tight but came out ok.just had a bit of carbon build up on the bottom shaft part.they are motocraft pzt1f and 7b platinum on them,not sure where the two pce comes in,i put anti seize on them,will do other side later.are these the two pce ones

Newest motorcraft or the champion.

the TSB works most times, if rushed not so much. The commonly available (these days) removal tool works very well if needed. Lisle is the cheaper version from what I remember,about $60. but a version of the tool can be had off any tool trucks as well. Or you can make your own, which is what I did... Darn you Sunday nights..... B)

NOT covered under warranty, or ESB.. nor aftermarket warranty. Smart shops quote you on the job including the cost for removal of a broken plug…. Making you happy if the total is less when done. Some shops will give you a low cost est no broken plugs, AND a cost per plug if broken.

The poster who said “it’s the dealerships problem if they break” yes and no.. it’s there problem to fix, but at your cost….as it’s a know issue.. They will either pad the est to include breakage, or they will not tell you till it happens, or they will tell you it’s a possibility, it will be on your dime, and what it will cost if/when it happens.

Techs are getting paid on time….so they are motivated to do the job as quick as possible.. This is one of those jobs that, if done in NO RUSH, it can be done most of the time with no broken plugs.. if rushed, you can bet one or more broken.. The fix is well known, easy, and 100% reliable.. but still can be avoided most times.

well i did the drivers side plugs today,no trouble removing .cleaned and put anti seize on them also.it did not look like they had been removed before so i guess i,m one of the lucky one,s.i have done the same on my 03 mach 1,when they said the plugs blow out.i check them once a year and will stay on top of the shelby

Archived