TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help validating 1967 Gt500?

maverikb

thanks for the help!

would that plate be pretty noticeable looking under the hood or do you have to search for it?

I opened up the hood but dont see anything like that.

As Cali_KR indicated, this is what you're looking for in the engine bay above the left front wheel well.

KingsBeachCruise019.jpg

Thanks! The larger image helped but hrmmmmm, it is not there! What does that mean?

Can you even buy a car without a vin?

As Cali_KR indicated, this is what you're looking for in the engine bay above the left front wheel well.

KingsBeachCruise019.jpg

from memory I'm going to have to say no (ill double check in a few days when Im over again). my friend who bought it, bought it probably 5 years ago and was rebuilt.

the engine compartment looks clean and smooth, fresh paint, etc.

they gave him, what they claim, is the original registration, which to me looks legit. But of course I can't find proof on the car itself.

Can't go off engine or tranny because I know that is all new too.

Any other place I can check? Does the original title help?

Why would they remove the vin???

maverikb,

Can you see any evidence of 2 rivet holes in the black sheet metal?

from memory I'm going to have to say no (ill double check in a few days when Im over again). my friend who bought it, bought it probably 5 years ago and was rebuilt.

the engine compartment looks clean and smooth, fresh paint, etc.

they gave him, what they claim, is the original registration, which to me looks legit. But of course I can't find proof on the car itself.

Can't go off engine or tranny because I know that is all new too.

Any other place I can check? Does the original title help?

Why would they remove the vin???

There is a secondary location, this one isn't a plate, rather it is hand stamped into the passenger side inner front fender, usually halfway between the radiator support and the firewall.

This are very faint, but are there (assuming someone hasn't "done" something to it)

Under where the Shelby stamped VIN would have been there would be a Ford stamped VIN pressed into metal, so even if the fender isn't original, you can loosen up the existing passenger side fender and there should be a stamping with the original VIN. If it a 4 speed car and has the original tranny, it should also be stamped on case as well.

SAAC has the Ford VINs for all 67 Shelbys on file and can confirm correct numbers.

Regardless of whether the metal badge is there, they had to cut into the fender edge to put it in. If it isn't there then chances are it is either not a real GT500 or the fender has been replaced at some time. SAAC is your best bet.

X 2 , Those guys live to find real ones and weed out the clones and fakes. They can tell you where to look and probably already know any info you'd want to find out on that particular VIN :rockon:

If i cant find it on the car itself, is it even worth a purchase?

does it hurt or affect value if the registration checks out but no vins on the car or can you order new ones?

Is a 1967 shelby gt500 worth anything if not restored with original parts? It doesnt look bad, paint is fine but nothing is original.

-erik

There is a secondary location, this one isn't a plate, rather it is hand stamped into the passenger side inner front fender, usually halfway between the radiator support and the firewall.

This are very faint, but are there (assuming someone hasn't "done" something to it)

how would one see this? do you have to go under the car or take anything apart?

how would one see this? do you have to go under the car or take anything apart?

No, just open the hood, it should be right there

Below is an example...if it is missing this one, and the Shelby plate too...then I'd walk away...

Mustang_vin.jpg

Mustang_vin.jpg

• 10 months later...

took a look at the car and there is 2 rivet holes but no plate. that seems odd to me.

That tells me someone removed the plate. Good news is, it's probably genuine.

That plate is NOT the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), it's the Shelby American Serial Number. You WILL have a VIN or CVIN on the car in a few other places. Look on the door A-pillar and/or B-pillar, on the cowl, front fender clip (as shown in the pic with the star at the end of the VIN), etc. Usually the rear axle will have the VIN on it too, if it's the origainal axle housing. Engine, Trans, Rear axle, Body, (sub) Frame and one other place which I can't remember. Those are called a CVIN, for "Confidential Vehicle Identification Number". Authorities use the CVIN to ID a car that someone removed the VIN from. In Calif. you can get a VIN verified by the Calif. Highway Patrol (CHP) Stolen Vehicle Officer. I know there's one in the Salinas office. Your state (if not CA) should have a counterpart to the CA CHP Stolen Vehicle Officer. Or your DMV may be able to help but most times they'll just send you to the State Troopers.

HTH,

Phill

That tells me someone removed the plate. Good news is, it's probably genuine.

That plate is NOT the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), it's the Shelby American Serial Number. You WILL have a VIN or CVIN on the car in a few other places. Look on the door A-pillar and/or B-pillar, on the cowl, front fender clip (as shown in the pic with the star at the end of the VIN), etc. Usually the rear axle will have the VIN on it too, if it's the origainal axle housing. Engine, Trans, Rear axle, Body, (sub) Frame and one other place which I can't remember. Those are called a CVIN, for "Confidential Vehicle Identification Number". Authorities use the CVIN to ID a car that someone removed the VIN from. In Calif. you can get a VIN verified by the Calif. Highway Patrol (CHP) Stolen Vehicle Officer. I know there's one in the Salinas office. Your state (if not CA) should have a counterpart to the CA CHP Stolen Vehicle Officer. Or your DMV may be able to help but most times they'll just send you to the State Troopers.

HTH,

Phill

Seems easy enough to verify. Can a reproduction "Shelby ID Tag" be purchased if it is a Shelby?

Seems easy enough to verify. Can a reproduction "Shelby ID Tag" be purchased if it is a Shelby?

I can't say for sure but according to the guys on Barrett Jackson, yes. There was a '67 clone that was accurate down to the SN Tag and they commented that you can get one on the Internet.

Cali_KR can probably shed more light on the subject (he has a classic KR too).

Phill

Phill

Curious about the outcome of the VIN. Is it a Shelby?

I don't have the emails any longer, but it didn't feel right if memory serves...

I can't say for sure but according to the guys on Barrett Jackson, yes. There was a '67 clone that was accurate down to the SN Tag and they commented that you can get one on the Internet.

Cali_KR can probably shed more light on the subject (he has a classic KR too).

Phill

Oh yea, real easy to do a repop on the plate...

• 2 years later...

post-43957-0-33862300-1411105521_thumb.jpegpost-43957-0-33862300-1411105521_thumb.jpegAn acquaintance has a quasi rough 67 mustang he claims is a real gt350….the vin is 7R02K182002

The VIN is on the drivers side inner fender…..the plate is missing but its obvious a plate was there at one time.

It has all the markings of a real car…steering wheel, wheels, roll bar etc....needs a hefty restoration

Is there anyone who can give me a yes or no on that VIN being a Genuine Shelby?

Also does it look real?…..price you would pay? Automatic

Many thanks,

The value of the car greatly depends on how original the car is. Does it have the original radiator, fuel pump, carb, water pump, brakes, body panels, engine, trans etc? These type of items greatly effect the value of the car. A thorough inspection is the only way to get a good value on the car.

Thanks! The larger image helped but hrmmmmm, it is not there! What does that mean?

Can you even buy a car without a vin?

I just saw the plate as shown in the pic attached to this quote, on e-bay yesterday. The place where the stamped in number is was blank so it'd be easy to stamp it with your SN or VIN.

I thought I bookmarked it but just checked and it's not in my saved auctions. Search for Shelby Cobra (what I was searching for) and you should find it. Identical to the one in the pic.

Phill

Archived