TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire

dvkiel

Just recently purchased a 2008 Shelby GT and I have discovered there is no spare tire or jack or tools in the trunk. Did this car come from the factory this way? Will a temporary spare tire work on this car ok, What is the most economical way to get one. Junk yard?

Just recently purchased a 2008 Shelby GT and I have discovered there is no spare tire or jack or tools in the trunk. Did this car come from the factory this way? Will a temporary spare tire work on this car ok, What is the most economical way to get one. Junk yard?

I'm gonna assume it came from the factory like that since my 2010 GT500 came without one as well.

dvkiel, Welcome to Team Shelby. Glad you found us.

You are correct your car was not equipped from Ford with a spare tire. Take a moment to look thru your owners manual for all the details on the inflator kit that replaces the spare tire.

Also if you perform a search here on Team Shelby, you'll find several threads on spare tires no longer being used on the Mustangs and what your options are for retro fitting a spare tire and jack into your trunk.

Steve

No spare tire.

Get yourself one of these. Other than a complete blow out you can keep yourself going. You can fix your own flat in a few minutes without having to squirt some crazy goo into your tires.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit+with+12-volt+air+compressor.do?search=basic&keyword=36851&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

No spare tire.

Get yourself one of these. Other than a complete blow out you can keep yourself going. You can fix your own flat in a few minutes without having to squirt some crazy goo into your tires.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit+with+12-volt+air+compressor.do?search=basic&keyword=36851&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

I got this same kit for my 2010 Gt 500 and looks like it will be easy to use just hope I dont ever have to use it!! I have never been a fan of the "goo" into the tire and have seen some threads that said that it didnt work well at all. I really feel good now that I know I got the same kit that "Torch 40" has since he is my hero!!

No spare tire.

No spare... I recently read that "this" may be common practice in the future for all car makers. There are, however, options, i.e., purchase an OEM set-up and jack, or as you mentioned, a donut, but make sure that it is the same height/circumference of the wheel/tire that you're running or you may cause damage to the gears, axle, etc. Hope that this helps. For further details, search “spare” for a wealth of information on this matter.

dvkiel, Welcome to Team Shelby. Glad you found us.

You are correct your car was not equipped from Ford with a spare tire. Take a moment to look thru your owners manual for all the details on the inflator kit that replaces the spare tire.

Also if you perform a search here on Team Shelby, you'll find several threads on spare tires no longer being used on the Mustangs and what your options are for retro fitting a spare tire and jack into your trunk.

Steve

No spare... I recently read that "this" may be common practice in the future for all car makers. There are, however, options, i.e., purchase an OEM set-up and jack, or as you mentioned, a donut, but make sure that it is the same height/circumference of the wheel/tire that you're running or you may cause damage to the gears, axle, etc. Hope that this helps. For further details, search “spare” for a wealth of information on this matter.

Archived