TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Armen Gilliam Dies of Heart Attack

Forty seven year old Armen Gilliam died Tuesday on the court playing a pick up basketball game from an apparent heart attack. Forty seven years old! Yikes!

B/ball players are probably the MOST cardio worked athletes in sports. Now granted, he hadn't played for a while...but nonetheless, these guys are usually speaking, the healthiest cardio wise of all the athletes.

I remember fondly the 'drug years' of the Phoenix Suns and he was a Sun at the time. '85-'87 ish??? Growing up in Phoenix with just the Suns as our professional sports team till '88 when the Cardinals arrived, all eyes were on The Phoenix Suns year after year!

I know 3, yes 3 guys that've all died on the ice playing adult rec league...one guy a goalie collapsed on the ice, he was only 40 at the time. The other two position players both on the bench. One guy I knew real well, finished his shift, came off the ice, sat on the bench, and gently listed to one side and quietly went to sleep, he was 42 at the time (Cheers to you Richie)...and all of these guys were in decent shape...

One reason (besides all of the damn sugar) I do not ingest those energy drinks, I was playing in tournament in Phoenix one year, and had one just before a game, 3-4 shifts in, I get back to the bench and it feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest...

Archived