TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many of you plan on keeping your GT500 for life

Cdvision

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on keeping your GT500 for life?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many of you guys plan on keeping your 2010-12 GT500's for life?

The decision factors that occur to me:

(1) How old are you? I'm 64, and this car can easily outlive me in mechanical soundness & reliability. If you're in your 20s, unless you want to keep your 2010-12 for collector reasons, there are probably some Jetsons' cars in your future.

(2) How do you use the car? If you race or drag it, you'll wear it out faster. I drive mine only off-track, and relatively gently; I enjoy its mechanical power & precision as tactile & sound experiences; I don't need the car to push my skeleton out the back of my body.

(3) How important is Carroll Shelby's blessing (signed dash plaque, build certificate) to you? To me, as a teen in the 1960s, the original Shelby Mustangs were Holy Grails which I couldn't dream of affording. How very considerate of Ol' Snake to hang around until I could afford one and then bring them back! If Ford goes on to more advanced non-Shelby Mustangs, good for them, but I'm not interested.

I have owned many cars over the years, including several exotics, and sold them usually because after living with them awhile, they began to show various inconveniences or imperfections which made them "replaceable". This could be anything from a rattle that I couldn't find, to a windshield angled to reflect the Sun annoyingly, to unfixable rain leaks, to uncomfortable seats, to unreadable instruments/displays, etc.

This 2011 GT500 is so far bulletproof. There were only a few things I felt like tweaking: add a power passenger seat for my wife's comfort, add front & rear parking sensors since it's tricky to sense the car's extremities when parking, and add the Ford Racing touring catbacks for a rich, deep growl at all rpms. Oh, yes, DG window/side scoops to completely recapture the 60s' GT500 æsthetic. Now I'm completely gruntled, and wouldn't trade this car for a Ferrari.

The decision factors that occur to me:

(1) How old are you? I'm 64, and this car can easily outlive me in mechanical soundness & reliability. If you're in your 20s, unless you want to keep your 2010-12 for collector reasons, there are probably some Jetsons' cars in your future.

(2) How do you use the car? If you race or drag it, you'll wear it out faster. I drive mine only off-track, and relatively gently; I enjoy its mechanical power & precision as tactile & sound experiences; I don't need the car to push my skeleton out the back of my body.

(3) How important is Carroll Shelby's blessing (signed dash plaque, build certificate) to you? To me, as a teen in the 1960s, the original Shelby Mustangs were Holy Grails which I couldn't dream of affording. How very considerate of Ol' Snake to hang around until I could afford one and then bring them back! If Ford goes on to more advanced non-Shelby Mustangs, good for them, but I'm not interested.

I have owned many cars over the years, including several exotics, and sold them usually because after living with them awhile, they began to show various inconveniences or imperfections which made them "replaceable". This could be anything from a rattle that I couldn't find, to a windshield angled to reflect the Sun annoyingly, to unfixable rain leaks, to uncomfortable seats, to unreadable instruments/displays, etc.

This 2011 GT500 is so far bulletproof. There were only a few things I felt like tweaking: add a power passenger seat for my wife's comfort, add front & rear parking sensors since it's tricky to sense the car's extremities when parking, and add the Ford Racing touring catbacks for a rich, deep growl at all rpms. Oh, yes, DG window/side scoops to completely recapture the 60s' GT500 æsthetic. Now I'm completely gruntled, and wouldn't trade this car for a Ferrari.

I am much with you, maquino. I'm 53. I WOULD conceivably trade this for the right offer, but it's a great car. Just had the Ford Wipple kit installed - it's great fun, I don't run it hard an awful lot.

I've never considered having such a powerful car in my life. It'll probably be around for a great portion of my life, if not the rest of it.

I'm 32 and I've never felt having a "collector" car made sense for me even though I treat mine like many would a collector.

I'll probably sell mine before it is paid off if I can get my hands on a gently used Ford GT which has been my dream car ever since I rode in one.

I don't really have a complaint about the GT500 itself other than the host of quality issues I've experienced since picking it up last year.

I am 55 and bought mine for life or till I can't drive her any more or my daughter does not want it. I am one of those that paid a high ADM only to learn in a few years that Ford decided to build the GT500 for ever so as it seems so my car is not overly collectable.

I use the car when I have time, for a cruise or car club show and take it to the track once per year for speed and to enjoy the power!

Also love to mod this car.

Purchased mine to fulfill a life time desire to have a Shelby Mustang. I remember back in 1965 my first Shelby GT350 sighting as a kid. Stood there with my mouth open as it rounded my street corner. Turns out the Shelby GT350 was owned by a neighbor up the street from me. Since then I have had a thing for Shelby Mustangs.

After I purchased my current GT500 I felt that my desire for a Shelby had been satiated. Later to discover that it’s just the beginning of things with a Shelby Mustang. For me the true forever car would be a SuperSnake up-fit on the current GT500. Will I keep this GT500 for life...not sure. But I will always have a Shelby someplace in my garage. Preferably a SuperSnake.

I voted yes...

Forever is a long time, but I'll probably keep this car as long as the good lord allows it.

Oh I'm 52... Seems those of us over 50 tend to keep them.

Excellent stories guys!!! Keep 'em coming!! :shift:

What was your vote? Your age?

I'm down for maybe. I'm 32 so I know I'm going to have a lot of other cars in the future and possibly life changing events that could require me to sell it. We'll have to see how future versions pan out in terms of style and performance. I thought I was going to keep my 2010 for life but all the problems soured me. So far so good with my 2011.

You never know what life will throw at you, but for now, I do not plan to sell it. I'm 46 but I tend to keep my cars a long time. Only had 4 cars so far besides the Shelby. I've had my current daily driver (Audi S4) for over 9 years, and use my Shelby around 4,000 miles per year on average, with a bunch of miles on a couple of trips to Dearborn (a third is on the way :happy feet: ).

I still love the car, and plan to keep it as a weekend vehicle to be enjoyed on summer days, as long as it will last. That being said, if I could find an incredible deal on a Ford GT or an Audi R8, I could be tempted to trade for a new toy...

This is the car I've always wanted, but started with a 5.0 litre GT in 1988 and knew I eventually wanted to get a Shelby GT500. Now that time has allowed me to get one at 45 years old, I know that I want to keep this forever. It's a huge personal investment, but well worth it and plan on sticking with it. Just a great car to cruise and enjoy and maybe mod down the road, but I'll see.

I voted yes...

Forever is a long time, but I'll probably keep this car as long as the good lord allows it.

Oh I'm 52... Seems those of us over 50 tend to keep them.

What was your vote? Your age?

If I sell mine it won't be by choice...but sometimes ones life has other plans. I'll be 48 yrs old next month. But I usually get pegged for 34-35 yrs old...I still have a full head of non-dyed, non-grey hair, non-smoker and I keep pretty fit. Having a wife that's 11 yrs younger and no kids also helps. Lol

247398_10150256725595469_659030468_9323178_4717793_n.jpg

If I sell mine it won't be by choice...but sometimes ones life has other plans. I'll be 48 yrs old next month. But I usually get pegged for 34-35 yrs old...I still have a full head of non-dyed, non-grey hair, non-smoker and I keep pretty fit. Having a wife that's 11 yrs younger and no kids also helps. Lol

You are WINNING in life! :)

I just got mine today, and would like to think I would keep it. But you know how that goes! I'm 35.

My previous car was a 1997 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl...had it for 14 years and 273,000 miles. SO yeah...you could say I upgraded!

As an aside, I think this could be the last golden age of muscle cars. It's cool that they came back, but I can foresee several reasons why it could end soon, the main one being a push towards fuel efficiency, which would be worse

if gas went to 5,6,7 or higher per gallon. That could result in new legislation forcing auto makers to NOT sell gas guzzlers. Just a thought...could happen.

Luckily, I live in the middle of Oklahoma where we care not about fuel efficiency!

I just got mine today, and would like to think I would keep it. But you know how that goes! I'm 35.

My previous car was a 1997 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl...had it for 14 years and 273,000 miles. SO yeah...you could say I upgraded!

As an aside, I think this could be the last golden age of muscle cars. It's cool that they came back, but I can foresee several reasons why it could end soon, the main one being a push towards fuel efficiency, which would be worse

if gas went to 5,6,7 or higher per gallon. That could result in new legislation forcing auto makers to NOT sell gas guzzlers. Just a thought...could happen.

Luckily, I live in the middle of Oklahoma where we care not about fuel efficiency!

$5.78 per gallon up here (for 94 octane) with the new taxes that just went into effect. Can you say OUCH!!!!!

I just noticed that your hairline in receding. :hysterical:

:hide:

I just noticed that your hairline in receding. :hysterical:

:hide:

Nope...it's always been like that. I can post a pic of when I was a kid to prove it!! You're just jealous. :hysterical:

Lol

1965 when I was 2 yrs old.

n659030468_596621_3807.jpg

....and 21 yrs ago.

n659030468_596608_2299.jpg

Nope...it's always been like that. I can post a pic of when I was a kid to prove it!! You're just jealous. :hysterical:

Lol

1965 when I was 2 yrs old.

n659030468_596621_3807.jpg

....and 21 yrs ago.

n659030468_596608_2299.jpg

I was just razzin ya. You are lucky to have those good genes that kept your hair so young looking. Mine is turning all grey and thinning. You are right...I am jealous. :blush:

I saw the Eleanor Mustang in Gone in 60 seconds and the new Supersnake for 2011 looks eerily similar to that one... I am 29 yrs old and plan on keeping it for life. I was going to get a BOSS 302 Laguna Seca or the supersnake but I can't have both. So I will likely go for the Supersnake that looks like the Eleanor I saw in the theaters. I might want to get an old fastback and turn it into the one in the movie. I believe that garage would look pretty cool...

Jimmy

2011 GT500 SVTPP

2011 Ford Raptor SVT

I was just razzin ya. You are lucky to have those good genes that kept your hair so young looking. Mine is turning all grey and thinning. You are right...I am jealous. :blush:

You should have seen me 2 months ago.

The girl that cut my hair said I had 2 grey ones.....I must have missed those. Lol

40432_455636065468_659030468_7002371_4601214_n.jpg

I ordered my GT500 back in Oct. of 2006 when I was 45 years old. My Shelby is a week end toy for me and I have allot of my personal heart and soul poured into my car to make it mine. It still puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in it. It is so fun to drive and I truley enjoy it. I don't see myself ever selling it. I'm 50 years old now and have plans to retire on my 54th Birthday if all goes as planned. Once that happens, I will be driving my car much more often. I like Hans paid a high ADM back in 2006 and I plan on driving my money out of this car over my lifetime.

I try to take real good care of my body. Going to the gym and running 3-4 days a week helps me stay fit.

I may be 50...and going grey and losing my hair....but I'm weighing in at 175.8 pounds & have 11.2% Body Fat & 41.8% Muscle.happy%20feet.gif

004.jpg

You should have seen me 2 months ago.

The girl that cut my hair said I had 2 grey ones.....I must have missed those. Lol

40432_455636065468_659030468_7002371_4601214_n.jpg

I bet you like having your hair short. Long hair is too much work.

I ordered my GT500 back in Oct. of 2006 when I was 45 years old. My Shelby is a week end toy for me and I have allot of my personal heart and soul poured into my car to make it mine. It still puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in it. It is so fun to drive and I truley enjoy it. I don't see myself ever selling it. I'm 50 years old now and have plans to retire on my 54th Birthday if all goes as planned. Once that happens, I will be driving my car much more often. I like Hans paid a high ADM back in 2006 and I plan on driving my money out of this car over my lifetime.

I try to take real good care of my body. Going to the gym and running 3-4 days a week helps me stay fit.

I may be 50...and going grey and losing my hair....but I'm weighing in at 175.8 pounds & have 11.2% Body Fat & 41.8% Muscle.happy%20feet.gif

Excellent, you look great for an old fart!!!

Staying active and fit is important. When I was 20 I had hoped to be dead by 40 because most people look like crap by the time they're that age. But seeing as that didn't happen I just refused to get old. I messed up my left arn and shoulder in a freak accident a few years ago and stopped working out....I felt like crap and could barely lift the Whipple supercharger off my 06 GT (to add the intercooler), now I could swing it around with my bad arm. Once my arm stopped hurting I worked through it and never looked back.

My wife competes in figure/fitness contests (she has one on July 16) and is super strict with her diet and training. Way more focus than I could ever have. Lol

37482_445849680468_659030468_6721702_5307282_n.jpg

Excellent, you look great for an old fart!!!

Staying active and fit is important. When I was 20 I had hoped to be dead by 40 because most people look like crap by the time they're that age. But seeing as that didn't happen I just refused to get old. I messed up my left arn and shoulder in a freak accident a few years ago and stopped working out....I felt like crap and could barely lift the Whipple supercharger off my 06 GT (to add the intercooler), now I could swing it around with my bad arm. Once my arm stopped hurting I worked through it and never looked back.

My wife competes in figure/fitness contests (she has one on July 16) and is super strict with her diet and training. Way more focus than I could ever have. Lol

37482_445849680468_659030468_6721702_5307282_n.jpg

Man, she sure does look good. Your a lucky man !

I had a pic of me taken last week after I worked out.

grabsthong.jpg

Man, she sure does look good. Your a lucky man !

I had a pic of me taken last week after I worked out.

grabsthong.jpg

You must have used Superpump Max pre-workout formula!! Lol

That stuff works great!! heh heh

Archived