TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tips for car show tonight

This newbie to collector car land will be taking the GT-H convertible to a show tonight. The judging is on "overall Impression" because it is not a "concourse event"

My question is what is a concourse event?

From those that have won car shows before, can you offer any tips for me tonight

Concourse normally means that every single part on your car should be as delivered new and meticulous condition if you want to win. Normally judged by independent judges who will know the car from top to bottom, knowing every mark, cable, hose, etc. Original battery, belts, on and on. Most normal car shows are not concourse. Meaning that the people judging them are either the participants themselves through a ballot type process, or judges who are just looking at your car for cleanliness, quality of paint, interior, underhood, etc. So an overall appearance not including originality. Or you can be in a show with a bit of mix of judges who are looking at some types of originality, but maybe not to the extreme of original battery, hoses, belts, tires, etc. So for most shows, you just want to make sure that your car is extremely clean, including all the hoses underhood, etc. You will get knocked off points if your hood is closed at most regular shows. People want to see that you spent the time making your car show ready. Have fun!

P.S. don't just spray a bunch of shiny stuff under the hood like most car dealerships do to make it look all pretty. Just make it look clean, with no overspray etc. I like the STP son of a gun cleaner on hoses and such, makes the rubber, plastic, etc, look good, but not to shiny if you know what I mean. Make sure the carpets are free of any dirt, debris, etc. Sometimes when I'm judging a class and there are a couple of very nice cars, I have to get nit picky on little pebbles etc. in the carpet to make a final choice. At a big show my club does in September, I usually get stuck with the mid 60's Corvettes. Usually some incredible cars that they make very tough to judge. It usually comes down to the extreme details of cleanliness that gets the go ahead.

Concourse normally means that every single part on your car should be as delivered new and meticulous condition if you want to win. Normally judged by independent judges who will know the car from top to bottom, knowing every mark, cable, hose, etc. Original battery, belts, on and on. Most normal car shows are not concourse. Meaning that the people judging them are either the participants themselves through a ballot type process, or judges who are just looking at your car for cleanliness, quality of paint, interior, underhood, etc. So an overall appearance not including originality. Or you can be in a show with a bit of mix of judges who are looking at some types of originality, but maybe not to the extreme of original battery, hoses, belts, tires, etc. So for most shows, you just want to make sure that your car is extremely clean, including all the hoses underhood, etc. You will get knocked off points if your hood is closed at most regular shows. People want to see that you spent the time making your car show ready. Have fun!

P.S. don't just spray a bunch of shiny stuff under the hood like most car dealerships do to make it look all pretty. Just make it look clean, with no overspray etc. I like the STP son of a gun cleaner on hoses and such, makes the rubber, plastic, etc, look good, but not to shiny if you know what I mean. Make sure the carpets are free of any dirt, debris, etc. Sometimes when I'm judging a class and there are a couple of very nice cars, I have to get nit picky on little pebbles etc. in the carpet to make a final choice. At a big show my club does in September, I usually get stuck with the mid 60's Corvettes. Usually some incredible cars that they make very tough to judge. It usually comes down to the extreme details of cleanliness that gets the go ahead.

I remember reading an article many many years ago where a car show competition came down to the wire, and the winner edged out the runner-up simply because the staples in his seat upholstery were period-correct (a vintage Vette). THAT is how crazy "Concours" competition can get. "Pebbles in the tire treads? How DARE you!?"

BTW, anywhere you've applied effort needs to be highlighted. Spotless undercarriage? Put mirrors under the car. A full complement of accessories, related toys/trinkets? Lay them out in the trunk. Paperwork, documentation, history? Show it!

Above all, have fun. It can be really easy to get so competitive you forget why you love it.

Jer

Archived