TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Belt Squeaking

I have all new belts even on my SC and when I crank my car I have a belt squealing for the first 5 minutes then stops. Wonder which one it could be and since they are all new what can I do about it.

I don't... google gates HD i guess, but you will probably need to go to thier site to figure out what part number matches the length and # of ribs you need. Closest I came for my whipple was a 7 rib, so i'm gonna have a freind in the business cut it down for me to 6 rib.

You guys lost me here. The GT/SC only uses one belt which happens to be a six-rib Gates belt. There is a Goodyear Gatorback the same length as the Gates belt but the Gatorback has seven ribs. The Gatorback will work if you carefully cut-off one rib with a razor. I'm running the Gatorback on my Whipple GT/SC and haven't had any issues with the belt. If your belt is squeaking at start-up, my guess is the top right idler pulley is off-center and needs replacing.

Check your belt while the car is running and see if the belt is running close to the back side of the idler pulley - which is the idler on the top right side. If it is, you should probably replace this pulley. I redesigned this idler pulley so the belt won't jump off the back of the idler causing it to squeak or cut the belt. Thumprrr Racing is selling this pulley for $130.

Here is a link to a thread I posted a while back. It is rather long, but read it to the end and it will explain better what's going on with the belt and the idler pulley.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63906-are-gates-belts-inferior-for-supercharged-whipples/page__p__1089847__fromsearch__1#entry1089847

You guys lost me here. The GT/SC only uses one belt which happens to be a six-rib Gates belt. There is a Goodyear Gatorbelt the same length as the Gates belt but the Gatorbelt is seven ribs. The Gatorbelt will work if you carefully cut-off one rib with a razor. I'm running the Gatorbelt on my Whipple GT/SC and haven't had any issues with the belt. If your belt is squeaking at start-up, my guess is the top right idler pulley is off-center and needs replacing.

Check your belt while the car is running and see if the belt is running close to the back side of the idler pulley - which is the idler on the top right side. If it is, youshould probably replace this pulley. I redesigned this idler pulley so the belt won't jump off the back of the idler causing it to squeak or cut the belt. Thumprrr Racing is selling this pulley for $130.

Here is a link to a thread I posted a while back. It is rather long, but read it to the end and it will explain better what's going on with the belt and the idler pulley.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63906-are-gates-belts-inferior-for-supercharged-whipples/page__p__1089847__fromsearch__1#entry1089847

Yes you are right its one belt. Every pully on my car is brand new even the idler pully. I will check it later today I think it may be loose or really dry...

Yup, all thump Pulleys here, no issues about the edges. They suggested a loose belt, and the S197 guys say it's common with the thump Tensioner to over stretch "normal" belts. My squeak went away with a fresh belt and the old one had about 4k miles on it or so.

My belt did the same thing until it warmed up. I replaced the belt and the squeal was gone. The belt had less then a year on it. I never thought it could have been the belt at first. I pulled off the stock pulleys repacked the bearings with no luck until I threw on a new belt. -Kevin

Archived