TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just some thoughts about traction

I was at Sean Hyland's this week and there was a transport driver ( I think he was probably dropping off some parts) inside the showroom looking at the Shelby's Sean had in there. My car was outside at the side by the service bays and I went back out as one of Sean's guy's was just finishing up putting on the new hood pins.

So the guy makes his way outside and he's looking over my car and asking what's different about the Super Snake. So I'm telling him about the car and showing him some of the other one's at Sean's. He then asks me about traction. He said he's heard these cars are really hard to hook up.

I said- you know, it's funny. All my life I wanted a car that I could "burn rubber" in. And now suddenly that seems to be a bad thing. Now everyone wants a car to hook up without spinning the wheels.

I then told him that I didn't think the car was that hard to hook up if you just don't hammer on the gas.

My car is all done by now and I ask him if he's got time for a quick ride. He looks at his watch and says he's got time.

So off we go for quick ride down the country roads.

The guy is very impressed the power of the car and he's also VERY IMPRESSED with the traction. He said the car doesn't seem hard to hook up at all. He was impressed with how well it grabbed the road and accelerated.

The point of this post is when people read about traction problems and the car having trouble hooking up I think they picture a car that just spins it's wheel and is very hard to control.

It's only when you get a chance to drive the car or ride in one that you realize that the hook up problems are a little bit exaggerated.

I'm quite certain that in the future if he hears or reads that the Shelby's have trouble hooking up, he's going to have a very different opinion.

Whammer, congrats on finally getting your Super Snake completed.

From your posts, it sounds like you have had a fun month.

The Super Snake suspension = average. Tires/traction = below average.

You will find as you learn your girl with more seat time, there are upgrades and changes that will dramatically improve and wake the Snake up.

I was at Sean Hyland's this week and there was a transport driver ( I think he was probably dropping off some parts) inside the showroom looking at the Shelby's Sean had in there. My car was outside at the side by the service bays and I went back out as one of Sean's guy's was just finishing up putting on the new hood pins.

So the guy makes his way outside and he's looking over my car and asking what's different about the Super Snake. So I'm telling him about the car and showing him some of the other one's at Sean's. He then asks me about traction. He said he's heard these cars are really hard to hook up.

I said- you know, it's funny. All my life I wanted a car that I could "burn rubber" in. And now suddenly that seems to be a bad thing. Now everyone wants a car to hook up without spinning the wheels.

I then told him that I didn't think the car was that hard to hook up if you just don't hammer on the gas.

My car is all done by now and I ask him if he's got time for a quick ride. He looks at his watch and says he's got time.

So off we go for quick ride down the country roads.

The guy is very impressed the power of the car and he's also VERY IMPRESSED with the traction. He said the car doesn't seem hard to hook up at all. He was impressed with how well it grabbed the road and accelerated.

The point of this post is when people read about traction problems and the car having trouble hooking up I think they picture a car that just spins it's wheel and is very hard to control.

It's only when you get a chance to drive the car or ride in one that you realize that the hook up problems are a little bit exaggerated.

I'm quite certain that in the future if he hears or reads that the Shelby's have trouble hooking up, he's going to have a very different opinion.

I think the concern about traction is the worthlessness of first gear under anything but light to controlled moderate acceleration. If you hammer it in first gear (and I am not talking about stepping it to the floor), traction is out the window and the engine is bouncing on the rev limiter before you have a chance to grab 2nd gear. That is not real exciting when the car next to you is jumping away as the Super Snake owner is trying to figure out what just happened. Even if you are not accelerating with another car, this unexpected blowing of the tires can be exciting to control. Yes, in controlled rolling these cars do fine, but acceleration from a low gear, at a lower speed..................bounce, bounce, bounce on the rev limiter.

If by chance one rear tire is lower in pressure than the other, the car, while unexpectedly spinning is also thrusting to one side, also not good.

R

I'm just not having that trouble with bouncing it off the rev limiter in 1st. I don't claim to be an experienced racer/driver, so I'm not saying I'm better than others. I just haven't found that problem. I think I basically just get the car going in 1st and get up a bit of speed and then I quickly shift to 2nd, so I'm not really getting close to the rev limiter in 1st.

I'm just not having that trouble with bouncing it off the rev limiter in 1st. I don't claim to be an experienced racer/driver, so I'm not saying I'm better than others. I just haven't found that problem. I think I basically just get the car going in 1st and get up a bit of speed and then I quickly shift to 2nd, so I'm not really getting close to the rev limiter in 1st.

I have had three experiences where my 725 unexpectedly overwhelmed the 275's and the first of the three times was when it bounced the rev limiter.

In the first instance, from a lower speed (15-20mph) I moderately accelerated until my planned 1st to 2nd shift at 4500 to 5000, no big deal, I was by myself just checking out how the car responds under specific situations since I had not owned a car at this power level before. As the car picked up speed, I assumed that there was much less chance of tire spin so I eased into it a little harder at about 4200rpm and at approx. 45mph, very shortly after that, the rear tires were completely overwhelmed and as they spun the rpms quickly jumped up 1500-2000, which of course was caught by the limiter. I backed out of it and shifted to second and realized that care needs to be taken in first gear, there was no jumping on it in first. In this instance there was no "putting it on the floor" or anything like that, it was just stepping into it a little more, that was it.

The second two instances did not touch the limiter and were in second gear. The first of the two 2nd gear instances was turning onto a two lane road from a side road, shifting from 1st to 2nd at a lower speed (15-20mph) and stepping into it moderately from a lower 2nd gear rpm. Next thing I knew, the rpms were picking up faster than the car was accelerating, I was going straight, but the back tires were spinning at approx. 45mph without much right foot, so in this instance I continued to keep the light amount ot fuel feediing but just enough to be ahead of the traction, the car continued to spin for 30-40ft. without effort until I eased it into 3rd gear. It would have kept spinning and thrusting forward, if I would have let it. There was no wheelhop or anything like that, just a lower rpm controlled spin, pretty cool!! The other time my 9 year old daugther was in the passenger seat playing her Nintendo DS while we rode home from a car show. At one point I shifted from 1st to 2nd, eased into it, and the car started its "break loose" thing again, from that point on, I knew that I wanted more predictable traction situations when I was at lower speeds in lower gears and my wheel widening project began.

One thing I can say is that all three of these experiences were after I installed Ford Racing shorty headers and the full 3" Shelby/JBA mandrel exhaust system.

R

Archived