TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Bag Light????

Just got back from lunch and I noticed that my air bag light stayed on after all the other warning lights extinguished after starting the car. Started the car three times during my lunch hour and it came and stayed on each time. I don't have a code reader and was wondering the cause. Will probably run by the Ford Dealership after work and get a reading. Car is totally stock with no mods. 12,XXX miles and have had it 11 months. It's my daily driver and has seen no track time whatsoever and even still running on the original tires, although I haved change the oil three times (LOL).

Any ideas or heard of this before? Thanx in advance.

Could just be a sensor problem. Try starting the car with an adult sitting in the passenger seat and see what happens.

Well this is what the owners manual says:

Airbag readiness: If this light fails to illuminate when the ignition is

turned to on, continues to flash or remains on, contact your authorized

dealer as soon as possible. A chime will sound if there is a malfunction in

the indicator light.

Guess I drop by after work in a few minutes (LOL).:headscratch:

Well this is what the owners manual says:

Airbag readiness: If this light fails to illuminate when the ignition is

turned to on, continues to flash or remains on, contact your authorized

dealer as soon as possible. A chime will sound if there is a malfunction in

the indicator light.

Guess I drop by after work in a few minutes (LOL).:headscratch:

My 2011 GT500 with 8K on the clock showed the yellow air-bag light on the dash when I started it up tonight. Drove about a mile, pulled over, turned off ignition, and re-started. Light came on for about two seconds and went off. No chime sounded. Light stayed off for the remainder of the evening. May be a sensor fluke, but will keep an eye on it. Let us know what you find out.

My 2011 GT500 with 8K on the clock showed the yellow air-bag light on the dash when I started it up tonight. Drove about a mile, pulled over, turned off ignition, and re-started. Light came on for about two seconds and went off. No chime sounded. Light stayed off for the remainder of the evening. May be a sensor fluke, but will keep an eye on it. Let us know what you find out.

Have an appointment Wednesday morning at the dealership to have it looked into. Did a seach and it seems like this is not an uncommon problem with 2011 Mustangs. Keep you guys posted.

Have an appointment Wednesday morning at the dealership to have it looked into. Did a seach and it seems like this is not an uncommon problem with 2011 Mustangs. Keep you guys posted.

This just started happening with my 2 days ago. Wonderful...

This weekend I was reaching around under the driver’s side seat and wiggled some wires and when I started my car up yesterday the light went out like it normally should. For the last two days and multiple engine cycles the light has continued to extinguish like it should after the engine starts.

Did some research and it seems this is a problem that happens occasionally on the S197 Mustangs. One place said it was corrosion on the wiring under the seat, another said they lubricated the wires with electrical grease and it took care of the problem. Then if it doesn't you have to go back in so that they can replace the wire/connection component.

Well for the last few days it’s operated normally so this morning I called the service department and they said, “You can bring it in but if the light is extinguishing by itself there’s nothing we can do.” So I guess it “cured” itself for now. We’ll see how long it lasts. :reading:

This weekend I was reaching around under the driver's side seat and wiggled some wires and when I started my car up yesterday the light went out like it normally should. For the last two days and multiple engine cycles the light has continued to extinguish like it should after the engine starts.

Did some research and it seems this is a problem that happens occasionally on the S197 Mustangs. One place said it was corrosion on the wiring under the seat, another said they lubricated the wires with electrical grease and it took care of the problem. Then if it doesn't you have to go back in so that they can replace the wire/connection component.

Well for the last few days it's operated normally so this morning I called the service department and they said, "You can bring it in but if the light is extinguishing by itself there's nothing we can do." So I guess it "cured" itself for now. We'll see how long it lasts. :reading:

Great....I'll have to try 'wiggling some wires' myself. I do recall before this started I was feeling around under my seat looking for something I dropped on the console side of the seat.

Ford Quality is Job #1!

My airbag light went on intermittently for a few weeks, after maybe 2 month of ownership on my 2011 GT500. Then at some point it just stayed on after every start and annoyed me enough to bring the car instead of waiting on the first scheduled service. The SVT service guy speculated that it was just loose or pinched wires when I dropped it off, but they ended up replacing the controller associated with the drivers seat. (My recollection on this may be slightly faulty, it was all under warranty, I didn't pay much attention and this was a year or more ago, I may have the receipt somewhere to look up if it really matters to someone.) It turned out to be pretty painless, dropped off the GT500, dealer set me up with a comp'd rental, they overnighted the part in when they figured out what had to be replaced, and I picked up the car the next day. No problems with the car since. I'm now at 1.25 years and something like 8-9K miles.

My airbag light went on intermittently for a few weeks, after maybe 2 month of ownership on my 2011 GT500. Then at some point it just stayed on after every start and annoyed me enough to bring the car instead of waiting on the first scheduled service. The SVT service guy speculated that it was just loose or pinched wires when I dropped it off, but they ended up replacing the controller associated with the drivers seat. (My recollection on this may be slightly faulty, it was all under warranty, I didn't pay much attention and this was a year or more ago, I may have the receipt somewhere to look up if it really matters to someone.) It turned out to be pretty painless, dropped off the GT500, dealer set me up with a comp'd rental, they overnighted the part in when they figured out what had to be replaced, and I picked up the car the next day. No problems with the car since. I'm now at 1.25 years and something like 8-9K miles.

Who was your dealer?

Archived