TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many R- TUNE'S for 2011??

Thats a good question. I hear there were roughly 200 total 2011s 45ths built. If I was a betting man, I would throw my guess that half were built with the 525HP, and the other half were probably even splits for NA and 624s. So that would put my guess somewhere between 50-75. I have ZERO official information I am drawing that on...strictly a guess. But I have to think at least half the orders were people that wanted the supercharger AND the warranty.

Since the only difference between the two is a pulley and a tune, I am wondering how stupid I was for voiding my warranty, when I could have just got the 525, and done the upgrade to 624hp (or the 700+ Im at now) and if my car needed warranty work, just put the stock pulley back on, and reflash the pcm to the 525 tune.

Oh well.....live and learn.:sing_rain:

Thats a good question. I hear there were roughly 200 total 2011s 45ths built. If I was a betting man, I would throw my guess that half were built with the 525HP, and the other half were probably even splits for NA and 624s. So that would put my guess somewhere between 50-75. I have ZERO official information I am drawing that on...strictly a guess. But I have to think at least half the orders were people that wanted the supercharger AND the warranty.

Since the only difference between the two is a pulley and a tune, I am wondering how stupid I was for voiding my warranty, when I could have just got the 525, and done the upgrade to 624hp (or the 700+ Im at now) and if my car needed warranty work, just put the stock pulley back on, and reflash the pcm to the 525 tune.

Warren

You just summarized my plan. I have the 525, but after the warranty expires in a year, I'll go with the 624. I have zero experience with reflashing, so my question is "how hard will it be to get the tune and reflash?" Also, who can do it?

I can barely turn an ignition key, but it is so easy it is funny to change tunes. The hard part is swapping pulleys, and it isnt that it is hard, you just want to make sure you do it right, or you will make it obvious it has been done. A good mod shop can do it for you in 30 minutes or less.

I can barely turn an ignition key, but it is so easy it is funny to change tunes. The hard part is swapping pulleys, and it isnt that it is hard, you just want to make sure you do it right, or you will make it obvious it has been done. A good mod shop can do it for you in 30 minutes or less.

Will Shelby supply the tune for the 624? Do you just plug in some kind of tuner box to a port?

Well, the tune isnt really Shelby's anyway. The tune comes from Ford Racing, and I dumped that tune the second I got the car home for a Jon Lund tune.

It is pretty much that easy- you plug in a tuner to the port over your clutch pedal, and the rest is following the screen directions,,,its like installing Microsoft office without all the questions and registration hassles.:hysterical:

Well, the tune isnt really Shelby's anyway. The tune comes from Ford Racing, and I dumped that tune the second I got the car home for a Jon Lund tune.

It is pretty much that easy- you plug in a tuner to the port over your clutch pedal, and the rest is following the screen directions,,,its like installing Microsoft office without all the questions and registration hassles.:hysterical:

What tuner do you have or suggest buying for this?

A last report only 165 2011 models are being built with hopes of doing up to 350 a year afterwards.

What tuner do you have or suggest buying for this?

I use the SCT X3. Its reasonably priced and very easy to use.

One day we will know exactly how many 45th's were built, but I would rather round up than be misquoted. We know it is less than 200, but really thats all we know. There will always be side stories and cars that maybe didnt end up getting built, etc. :shrug:

I use the SCT X3. Its reasonably priced and very easy to use.

One day we will know exactly how many 45th's were built, but I would rather round up than be misquoted. We know it is less than 200, but really thats all we know. There will always be side stories and cars that maybe didnt end up getting built, etc. :shrug:

Warren,

Will a tuner, like the one you mentioned above, read and record a current tune in case it's ever lost so that it can be reinstalled without a lot of hassle? Or does the tuner just install a pre-programmed tune?

John

Yes, in the menu of the tuner, you select custom tune, and when you install the custom tune, your tuner automatically downloads the stock tune, (tune that was already in your car pcm) to the tuner. Then later, if you need to go back to the original tune, you can. (and in fact you will need to if you ever decide to sell the car without the tuner- The tuner has to reapply the stock tune back to the car before the tuner can be unmarried/ transferred to another vehicle) Other wise your tuner will be nothing more than an expensive paperweight unless you just pass it on with the car.

It may sound complicated and scary, but I assure you, in 5 minutes you could be a pro. If you can use itunes and the forum here, you can easily use a tuner.

Couple of points here:

The split on Supercharged GT350's is 45% + 624 HP tunes. Final numbers when the final car is built. Which will be on us here in short order.

At this point, there is no upgrade from Ford to take the 525-624 at Shelby. Each supercharger installed will has a sheet submitted to Ford Performance Group containing the Serial Number and part number which are individual to each tune for recording in their Oasis data base.

Roger

In the GT350 Mod and Tech Section I posted an item about my speedometer being off etc. I'll post the follow up here because this discussion seems more to the point about what happened and how it's being resolved.

In total the dealer has replaced 3 ignition coils, at 2 different times. Seems this is a big problem with the 5.0 motor. The last coils had to be shipped in as San Diego county was totally depleted. Now keep in mind San Diego isn't a small town and has a ton of Ford dealers!

Well, during the process one of the mechanics was nice enough to reset my tune to factory specs. This of course threw the speedometer off and I wound up with the nicest looking, best driving, awesome sounding GT in So. Calif. So the dealer contacts Ford Racing, who provides the initial tunes to SAI, and after some back and forth decides that the PCM would need to be sent to Dearborne to be retuned to the GT350 tune and returned to the dealer. But this is not a simple process!

The dealer must submit a request to Ford Racing and Ford Racing then must approve it by a return authorization form. This is apparently so they know it's really a dealer that they have been talking to on their special phone lines and not some speed shop somewhere. Now this process has become so cumbersome that the dealer has decided to send the GT350 home with me (remember it runs fine) and then send a technician to my house and pull the PCM after they get permission from Ford Racing to return it. Now this may have been partly in response to my asking the dealer how they were going to guarantee to protect the car during this whole process...or maybe it was my calm and soothing demeanor? :headscratch: Anyway, the dealer has never done this before!

Well, as it turns out Ford Racing is sending the tuner to the dealership rather than having the PCM returned. So hopefully by Monday or Tuesday, #70 will be breathing fire again.

Oh, and one other thing. This is costing the dealer $250 for the tune from Ford Racing!!

So, protect your tune...yes it can be retuned, but what a pain in the - well you get the idea.

John

Wow Roger! That really surprises me, but I suppose it is like the supersnake- go big or go home! Thanks for the build ratio! Also, I didn't know the FRPP tune was strictly a Shelby tune. That's pretty cool trivia!

John, no kidding- I bought a tuner the very first week I had the car, but it was so I could get a better tune and dump the pesky speed limiter. Glad I have it, and it is something anyone that goes to a dealer needs to warn the tech over. Don't go reflashing things willy nilly.