TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Stripe Removal

I currently have a stripe (passenger side that has a scratch / rip in it about one inch in length. Yes it shows up enough to be very irritating.

Anybody out there know the process of stripe removal and replacement? I have the replacement stripes.

How is the hood scoop removal and reassemble a factor? My hood scoop fits very well with no gaps presently. (Worried how it will sit after stripes are replaced).

Any words of advice out there?

There is no way around it, stripe removal is a real pain, but doable. I have done this as have others. Spend some money and get a professional graphics shop to remove it for you. On mine, I ended up having to reclear the hood. Get a good body shop to take off and reattach your scoop. You can buy the rivets from Shelby to reattach. I used the rivet nut method to put mine back on. Remember to let the stripes sun dry for several days before putting the hood scoop back on.

Just my thoughts, will try to find some pics from my files. I think I posted some back about 18 months ago in a post, but will try to find them and repost.

Good luck......... GG

There is no way around it, stripe removal is a real pain, but doable. I have done this as have others. Spend some money and get a professional graphics shop to remove it for you. On mine, I ended up having to reclear the hood. Get a good body shop to take off and reattach your scoop. You can buy the rivets from Shelby to reattach. I used the rivet nut method to put mine back on. Remember to let the stripes sun dry for several days before putting the hood scoop back on.

Just my thoughts, will try to find some pics from my files. I think I posted some back about 18 months ago in a post, but will try to find them and repost.

Good luck......... GG

There is a TON of information, ideas, experiences, and techniques, to be found in the Tech forum.

Search for topics with "Stripes" in the title.

I removed my stripes last weekend. I let the car sit in the Texas sun for 3 hours and peeled each stripe off in one piece.

Put the car in the shop and let it cool down and used acetone to clean off glue. Do not rub hard when removing glue. Keep changing rags so glue wont build up.

I used three layers painters tape to protect around the scoop. I used a larger drill bit than the size ot the rivet and removed each head of the rivets. ( Go slow and take your time.) I then pulled the rivets through the hood from the bottom side of the hood with a pair of vice grips. As I said before take your time and you can do it.

You can get replacement rivets from Wendy at Shelby performance parts.

Good Luck.

My stripes are really degrading. they are starting to show cracks and some have rusted. i'll have to find a shop to have them removed. i may have them painted on after removal. The rocker panel stripes are still in good shape. just the lemans stripes are fried.

are they more dificult to remove the older or the more deteriorated they are ?

Archived