TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The latest rumour

The 2013 will be a TVS blown, 5.8L. The 5.8L will be based upon the existing 5.4 alum engine with the additional displacement coming from the plasma arc spray-in cylinder liner technology. The liner technology will allow for a larger bore diameter (use the room left by the iron liner), hence the increase in displacement.

IMO, the 2013 and 2014 will be the last of the Mohicans.... The 2015 stang will be smaller, lighter and less "powerful" than the existing platform since it has been designed to live in a world after the 2016 CAFE standard jumps to 37.8 mpg for the fleet.

I bought my 2012 GT500 in case I'm wrong, but I will be in line for a 2013 at 650hp as soon as they go orderable this December. :)

:redcard: How do you figure this? Starting with '11, Spray Bore is already used, there is no steel sleve. The possibility would exist by stroking a bit or boring the AL block and then applying the Spray Bore. Stroking, I understand, would be prohibitive because of pistion speed so that would be a no go.

There is enough aftermarket testing done with current owners to show the existing plant can easily handle additional power. And, if Ford would put slightly higher quality internals, the possibilities would be extreme and the upgraded internals really shouldn't cost more more than a few percentage points more than what is used now.

Just look at what the SS is doing without building the lower end...

• 2 weeks later...

I would wait, heck im thinking of the new 2013 and i just bought my 2010. btw im sure there will be some 2012's still out there when the 2013 comes out so u can decide then. Look at it this way, you still have a great car now, why the rush?

• 2 weeks later...

He!!, I'm having a hard enough time with traction right now !

Hey buddy,

I would like to know your opinion on the COLOR and the SVT without the Performance Package.

I love the Kona Blue with the Silver stripes, I never seen one personally, how is it to keep it clean in comparison with Black colour?

Why did you not get the SVT PP instead, any particular reason? did you ever have a Mustang with 3.73 gear before, since the SVT is 3.55, do you think that would make a difference if any? since the SVT PP wheels and tires are big, I heard that the 3.73 on the SVT PP is only really to bring up the gear to compensate for the bigger wheels and tires! do you agree.

THANKS

braztang

Hard to believe the order banks open in a little over a month and not a concrete spec regarding updates or changes.

If the 2013 just adds a TVS and if you really plan on going bigger with a Whipple or KB later on then you are really better off going with 2011-2012 especially if the 60k price is correct.

I'm new here and have been reading all the threads about the 2013 and I too am in limbo as to - as Shakespear would say " to buy a 2012 or not to buy the 2012 and wait for the 2013". Ok Ok I took a lil leeway with the quote but that seems to be the issue here. Its true we need some kinda specs on the new model. Any help from Mr. R. Lane in this dept?

One option I haven't heard much speculation about...given the 5.4 is going away, has the 6.2L been considered in the rumor mil? A blown 6.2 would be quite interesting...it is quite a stout block and is becoming more proven. It just seems to me that Ford doesn't typically use a brand new platform all that often...(not that a stroked 5.0 or 5.4 altogether new), but it seems like a bigger step than a blower change on the 5.4 (like TVS) or adding one to the existing 6.2.

One option I haven't heard much speculation about...given the 5.4 is going away, has the 6.2L been considered in the rumor mil? A blown 6.2 would be quite interesting...it is quite a stout block and is becoming more proven. It just seems to me that Ford doesn't typically use a brand new platform all that often...(not that a stroked 5.0 or 5.4 altogether new), but it seems like a bigger step than a blower change on the 5.4 (like TVS) or adding one to the existing 6.2.

My prediction is you will see either the current 5.4L spray bore OR a slightly larger 5.8L spray bore, but with variable cam timing like they have on nearly every other Ford engine platform out there, including the 5.0L and the 3.7L Ecoboost in my F-150 fourby.

TVICT is *the* key to a broad power band and being able to run a ton of boost but bleed off cyl. pressure right to the max of the engine capibility (for example, the highly boosted 5.0L Coyote w/11.0:1 static compression ratio but using CAST internals).

I don't think they'd need to go with a bigger displacement if they went with variable cam timing to get WAY more torque/HP then they have now.

I don't even know if a TVS would be required go gain a ton of power, other than the fact that the Eaton is already at about max rpm for its use.

Phill Pollard

Archived