TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter Rattle Final Solution?

My 2008 GT-C has shifter rattle in 2nd and 4th gear around 3000rpm.

It has virtually NO up/down travel so the bolts are not lose under the boot.

I've read through the rattle threads but is there a universal solution yet?

Its a Hurst shifter. Thats what they sound like. I have had them in all my Mustangs. The shift lever hits the metal stop bolt (by design) so one can not "over-extend" the transmision during shifting. If you want quiet, put a rubber isolated stock shifter in, but it will feel sloppy and vague. Noise with Hurst is the nature of the beast.

My 2008 GT-C has shifter rattle in 2nd and 4th gear around 3000rpm.

It has virtually NO up/down travel so the bolts are not lose under the boot.

I've read through the rattle threads but is there a universal solution yet?

I had a rattle that I thought was the shifter, turned out to be the exhaust hanger on the pass side at the tranny, ...TSB 08-3-4

RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION—TRANSMISSION TSB 08-3-4

CROSS-MEMBER EXHAUST MOUNT—BUILT BEFORE

12/3/2007

FORD:

2005-2008 Mustang

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but i have the same problem. Ford is charging me 275 to fix it saying they need to buy a new part, but in the article that I read it says nothing about buying a new part. How much did it cost you to get it fixed?

How mechanically inclined are you? A couple of things you can do on your own if you can:

1. On the topside: Remove the leather shifter boot and or associated shifter console and check all bolts for tightness - if your car has the Hurst shifter, there's at least two bolts.

2. While you're there, move the shifter around and attempt to pull it up and down - there should be some play, but not much.

3. On the underside: Check shifter linkage to insure tightness. (some play is ok, just not floppy!)

4. Check the exhaust pipes and hangers - do this while they're COLD! Shake them with your hands and tap them with a rubber mallet to see if anything is loose or rattling.

If everything checks out - THEN consider a visit to the dealer or a reputable shop!

Sam

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived