TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Car Show Advice for my SGT

Hey guys, I have recently purchased my dream car. A Black 2007 Shelby GT (CSM No. 07SGT2874)

I plan on showing the car and have decided to replace the vinyl and have any very minor details in the paint fixed up.

I got to wondering with all the horror stories about the Vinyl issues maybe I should have the striping painted on. I have an amazing shop here that does Top Notch work.

1) How will my car be judged by not having the original vinyl?

2) Will it hurt the value of the car?

3) Do judges frown on Vantage guard on bumpers/hood and fenders?

My car is by no means going to be a trailer queen. I drive it like I stole it. With the exception of babying it and taking care of it.

Tnx in advance!

Hey guys, I have recently purchased my dream car. A Black 2007 Shelby GT (CSM No. 07SGT2874)

I plan on showing the car and have decided to replace the vinyl and have any very minor details in the paint fixed up.

I got to wondering with all the horror stories about the Vinyl issues maybe I should have the striping painted on. I have an amazing shop here that does Top Notch work.

My car is by no means going to be a trailer queen. I drive it like I stole it. With the exception of babying it and taking care of it.

Tnx in advance!

I painted mine on and its a 100% better than vinyl. It won't hurt the cars imagine in a show but improve it. Just make sure when any stripes painted on no edge's can be felt.

It really depends on the show. I don’t know of many shows where modern cars are held to contours level judging as might be seen with cars built prior to the 80's but even those shows are not common place. It is also going to be difficult for any contours judge to cry foul on painted stripes as Shelby has painted the stripes for some SGT owners.

Painting the stripes might hurt the value in 20-30yrs but due to the quality of the martial used in for the stripes it’s not likely they would last that long anyway. I have a hard time believing any of the modern Shelby's with the exception of the SS, GT350, & possibly the Terligua will be all that valuable relative to any other specialty Mustang, but that's just me. I say ‘paint away’. As long as you use a quality painter you will be much more pleased with the appearance of painted stripes over tape.

As for the clear paint mask, it’s a wise investment for a quality mask but it does require its own set of care procedures as does any vinyl/polyurethane tape. The thing to watch for is lifted edges and making sure there are no contaminates under the mask as it’s laid down. Lifted edges can trap dirt and damage the paint.

In a nutshell, don’t sweat it, do as you please, and enjoy your new Shelby. If you think originality will be a concern in the future then don’t do anything that cannot be reversed and keep any parts you remove and store them in a safe, dry, cool place.

Welcome to TS!

I would say to make sure the painted stripes are the exact dimensions and proper color as the original stripes. I have seen painted stripes the wrong dimension,width, and style that in my opinion, mess up the look of a SGT. But to each his own. All I am saying is that would hurt the value to me. Maybe you could call Shelby Automobiles, and they could give you the layout dimensions and proper paint code. Maybe even tell you how many they actually painted on. Or if they read this post, we could all get that information. I think we may all face this same decision.

I would like to know if the Shelby painted stripes where burried under the clear coat, or if they just taped it off and shot base and clear leaving edges. Sure would cost allot to bury the stripes. Wonder what most do?

If you're planning on driving it, then no question, paint them! The only way the factory stripes will last long enough to make ANY difference in value, the car would have to be air tight sealed for 20-30 years like others have said. You will be much happier over time with them painted. You will be able to wax and polish without worrying about the stripes. I'd say go for it if you can't tell. Here's my thread on my painted gold stripes. I'd do it again, no question.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39575-painted-stripes/

for the cost of a high quality paint job you could replace the stripes more than a few times.

You should look into the way cars are judged at the shows you are interested in. Will you be in one open class or do they have multiple classes for Shelbys?

For Factory Stock there are very few mods allowed. Here, they deduct points for a shorty antenna!

Look at whether you will be competing with completely stock Shelbys or not. If you were doing a full repaint I'd suggest entering in the modified classes.

I think they wouldn't even know the difference unless you told them or one of them is a SGT owner.

I agree with Orion about having the correct stripes at a factory correct car show. And call me crazy, but when I was looking at potential preowned Shelby GT's for sale, I stayed away from cars that I knew had painted stripes. I felt I wanted to find one that was in perfect condition from the factory. Untouched so to speak. I could not help but think that a painted stripe car might be because it sits outside in the elements all the time or maybe even had minor damage repair as it seems many have now. Even though I know the history of the stripe problems and replacement, I still could not stop myself from thinking that. The first thing I looked at before I bought my 2008 SGT, was the condition of the stripes. They looked almost perfect. They may even have been replaced, I do not know, but to me they where correct. When the day comes when mine start to look rough I will replace with vinyl, and no one would even notice I did. Just my opinion even though no doubt painted stripes would be easier to take car of. . I hope Shelby Parts will be around to sell the stripes for a long time. It might even be a good idea to buy a set to have, just in case.

I agree with Orion about having the correct stripes at a factory correct car show. And call me crazy, but when I was looking at potential preowned Shelby GT's for sale, I stayed away from cars that I knew had painted stripes. I felt I wanted to find one that was in perfect condition from the factory. Untouched so to speak. I could not help but think that a painted stripe car might be because it sits outside in the elements all the time or maybe even had minor damage repair as it seems many have now. Even though I know the history of the stripe problems and replacement, I still could not stop myself from thinking that. The first thing I looked at before I bought my 2008 SGT, was the condition of the stripes. They looked almost perfect. They may even have been replaced, I do not know, but to me they where correct. When the day comes when mine start to look rough I will replace with vinyl, and no one would even notice I did. Just my opinion even though no doubt painted stripes would be easier to take car of. . I hope Shelby Parts will be around to sell the stripes for a long time. It might even be a good idea to buy a set to have, just in case.

Here are the MCA rules:

http://www.midcomustang.com/mustangmcajudging.shtml

Given the number of years from now we're talking about....and unless you intend not to drive your car, and participate in the classes that are judged with authenticity rules... it simply doesn't matter.

Here is a thread in the MCA Forum on SGT Stripes:

http://www.mustang.org/showthread.php/1447-Shelby-GT-Stripes

Tnx in advance!

I painted mine on as well. What a huge difference! It went from the semi dull stripes (my second set) to stripes that stand out. When I had them painted on, I had the top and partial sides re clearcoated. Money well spent.

Good luck,

Russ

shelbyguy470, your stripes sound really nice. Better than vinyl for sure. As you said, they do not look semi dull and they stand out. But that is exactly why I think they would be penalized in a MCA authenticity class. They do not look correct. On the other hand, in an open or peoples choice class, your painted stripes would easly gain you points over a vinyl striped car. I like the original look. It is what Carroll Shelby liked also. But my opinion may change the day I have to replace them. Sounds like it is a tough job.

Once again, when I was looking to purchase my preowned SGT, I did not even consider buying a painted striped car. Call me old school, but shooting after market clearcoat over the top of perfect factory clearcoat seems wrong to me unless I had no other choice. I am still the guy that says there is nothing like the factory paint. I know, I know, todays paint is so much better. VINYL is FINAL. Or is it.

post-14450-0-14620400-1309484708_thumb.jpg

post-14450-0-14620400-1309484708_thumb.jpg

shelbyguy470, your stripes sound really nice. Better than vinyl for sure. As you said, they do not look semi dull and they stand out. But that is exactly why I think they would be penalized in a MCA authenticity class. They do not look correct. On the other hand, in an open or peoples choice class, your painted stripes would easly gain you points over a vinyl striped car. I like the original look. It is what Carroll Shelby liked also. But my opinion may change the day I have to replace them. Sounds like it is a tough job.

Once again, when I was looking to purchase my preowned SGT, I did not even consider buying a painted striped car. Call me old school, but shooting after market clearcoat over the top of perfect factory clearcoat seems wrong to me unless I had no other choice. I am still the guy that says there is nothing like the factory paint. I know, I know, todays paint is so much better. VINYL is FINAL. Or is it.

Off topic, but that is a great pic with the Grand Canyon in the background.

Yes that is a cool picture. I like to say it is the seventh wonder of the world (grand canyon) and the eigth wonder of the world (Shelby SGT hood scoop and stripes).

I was just wondering. Is it vinyl on the scoop itself or paint ? if it is vinyl, how hard is it to get the vinyl down and around the shape of the scoop without it bunching up.. That would seem very very difficult to get it right.

Yes that is a cool picture. I like to say it is the seventh wonder of the world (grand canyon) and the eigth wonder of the world (Shelby SGT hood scoop and stripes).

I was just wondering. Is it vinyl on the scoop itself or paint ? if it is vinyl, how hard is it to get the vinyl down and around the shape of the scoop without it bunching up.. That would seem very very difficult to get it right.

It's paint on mine, and I have to think thats standard because of the curves of the scoop.

the scoop is painted the same silver color as the stripes.

It has a Vista Blue stripe down the length of it.

So no worries about trying to lay down 2 wide stripes across that hood scoop.

I painted mine on and its a 100% better than vinyl. It won't hurt the cars imagine in a show but improve it. Just make sure when any stripes painted on no edge's can be felt.

I personally had the stripes painted on, And I had it done so you could feel the stripes, I wanted it to have the vinyl feel without having the shitty vinyl. Just my .02!

I personally had the stripes painted on, And I had it done so you could feel the stripes, I wanted it to have the vinyl feel without having the shitty vinyl. Just my .02!

Same for me. Painted on, can feel the stripe, just make sure they shoot the scoop!

I painted mine about a year ago. This was after having the original vinel stripes replaced two times and the 3rd set on the car were already starting to spot. I was very happy with the results and no it doesn't seem to be affecting the judging at the shows that I've been going to. Took a first place last Sat at the Bixby Knolls (North Long Beach, CA) Car Show and several other local Southern Calif. car shows. Most local type car shows are judged by eihter participants or by the participants and spectators (people's choice) and not by Concours type judges. Painting the stripes and doing a variety of cosmetic (personalizing) modifications aren't going to negatively affect how your car is judged as most of the people judging don't have a clue as to what is "original" and what has been modified. If you are going to Pebble Beach or Del Mar (acouple of Calif. high end car shows that may use "concours" type judging) then original is the only way to go. Some car shows have separate classes for the "original," vs. "personalized," vs. "modified or customized" and they do this by the amount of and type of modifications made to the original car. I've attached a couple of photos, one showing most of the cosmetic modifications the other is how it looks when I show it. All of the modifications can be changed back to "stock," except for the painted stripes. By the way the car is a daily driver and has almost 35,000 miles on it and it still attracts spectators and receives its share of show trophies. I also have taken it to the drags and its my ride to the beach when I go surfing and it holds my 10' longboard (just sticking a short way out of the trunk). A very fun car all around.

My advice, for what it is worth, is do what pleases you. After all it's your car. Mine is typically assigned to a "personalized" class, if they have separate class distinctions. Although, sometimes it is just put into the Shelby class. My biggest concern comes about when my SGT is classed into the same classes as the GT 500's, which in my opinion aren't true Shelby's (at least until they have been sent to the Shelby factory and KR'd, Super Snaked, etc.). At least we are all FORDS.

post-28691-0-81918800-1310589789_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-85983200-1310589836_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-29679500-1310590610_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-81918800-1310589789_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-85983200-1310589836_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-29679500-1310590610_thumb.jpg

Archived