TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are FRPP shorty headers worth it?

IMO, no, if going thru the trouble to install headers, I'd do long tubes. For what it's worth, the muffler deletes aren't really a performance gain, they sound bad ass, but don't flow enough better than the stock sgt mufflers to require a tune change, and it's the tune changes that allow for noticeable gains... Shorty headers look purty too though!

I am looking at a pair of FRPP short tube headers, but was wondering if it is really worth getting them. Only performance mod I have is PYPES muffle delete.

If your not going all out racing do shortys that what I did sounds nice breaths a little better. I went with BBK chrome nicely built been over a year no problem or rust and great price

IMO, no, if going thru the trouble to install headers, I'd do long tubes. For what it's worth, the muffler deletes aren't really a performance gain, they sound bad ass, but don't flow enough better than the stock sgt mufflers to require a tune change, and it's the tune changes that allow for noticeable gains... Shorty headers look purty too though!

+1

Info I've seen here has indicated 12 to 13 hp w/ shorties and a tune. I think the power gain is generally in the upper rpms, w/ maybe a little torque loss at the bottom end. Someone here will chime in that knows for certain...

I dont think the power is in the shorties to me not worth the effort or pain gotta go long tube to make the gains. Ford did good with the stock manifolds on SGT and 500 they dont change the exhaust man of super snakes and the power is there!!!

No.....................but they look kool!

Needing to pass emmisions is a hugh issue when you put long tubes on that was my reason for going with FRPP shorty's, I have heard from several that the cats on the long tubes are not passing emmisions in more than one state. I have enjoyed the look and the sound difference the HP difference is minimal if any....my $.02 worth

I am looking at a pair of FRPP short tube headers, but was wondering if it is really worth getting them. Only performance mod I have is PYPES muffle delete.

Excellent answers here, all around!

I concur - performance-wise, your gains will be minimal at best. Looks-wise, sound-wise, and coolness factor-wise.....you're way ahead.

All depends how you define "worth it". Best of luck however you go.

what does long tube headers have to do with emissions?

LT's relocate the cats = failed emissions, not to mention the relocated or deleted 02 sensors... if the shop actually does their job. IMO not worth trying to find a shop that will ignore that. LT's are an awesome, but not worth it to me.

LT's relocate the cats = failed emissions, not to mention the relocated or deleted 02 sensors... if the shop actually does their job. IMO not worth trying to find a shop that will ignore that. LT's are an awesome, but not worth it to me.

I said that 4 post ago !!! :rolleyes: If I was looking to go really fast then that would be a pulled engine and fitted with something else. My shorties are the tuned headers the car moves with all the mods plus awaiting install of manifold. I doubt the car will ever see a drag strip maybe a off the light race

It sounds nice and mean with the cherry bomb extremes

The state you live in will fail your vehicle if the cats are relocated? that sucks and does not sound right.

Are states failing the vehicle because the cats are not working properly and the emission numbers are not within the acceptable range, then that would be a tuning problem too.

my dynatech exhaust headers came with the extended O2 relocation wires.

No problems in AZ.

The state you live in will fail your vehicle if the cats are relocated? that sucks and does not sound right.

Are states failing the vehicle because the cats are not working properly and the emission numbers are not within the acceptable range, then that would be a tuning problem too.

my dynatech exhaust headers came with the extended O2 relocation wires.

No problems in AZ.

Any exhaust mod that moves or deletes emissions equipment, i.e. cats is illegal. If the shop never pops the hood you could still pass the test, but if any O2 sensors have been deleted or they pop the hood and see the LT's you fail.

When I lived in CO the county I was in did not require emissions for any cars, so you could run straight pipes if you wanted. I don't know where I'll be stationed so as I mod my car I want to make sure it's something that will be legal regardless of what state I'm in.

any header on these cars is not worth the effort to install, unless longtubes. I sell the Dynatechs as they make the most power, fit the best, and allow you to get the transmission out with out removing the headers or even losening them. As far as emmissions, still pass, even in CA as long as the smog tech doesn't look under the car for the visual.

Alex

any header on these cars is not worth the effort to install, unless longtubes. I sell the Dynatechs as they make the most power, fit the best, and allow you to get the transmission out with out removing the headers or even losening them. As far as emmissions, still pass, even in CA as long as the smog tech doesn't look under the car for the visual.

Alex

That was just plain mean to say you hurt my feelings and my car feeling :(

That was just plain mean to say you hurt my feelings and my car feeling :(

Sorry RACERX!!! As long as you are happy with them on your car, that is all that matters....at least they look cool compared to the rusty OEM manifolds....

Alex

i installed the shorite stainless (equal length) jbas headers and noticed a small change, a couple, i can bark 3rd and lower heat in the engine bay...took a hit on the price thanks summit...but im happy with them, especially since fathers days when i saw a original gt500 with jbas on his car haha :happy feet:

I wouldn't recommend shorties. I had the JBA's on until Shelby removed them when they installed my SC. The shorties didn't make any appreciable HP increase, the sound wasn't really better and they are a pain to install. Huge waste of time and money in my opinion. Stock exhaust manifold is just fine on these cars.

Sorry RACERX!!! As long as you are happy with them on your car, that is all that matters....at least they look cool compared to the rusty OEM manifolds....

Alex

I forgive you if you let me borrow the Vert !! I promise to put plastic down since driving a vert naked is my thing :hysterical:

In NY they set up stings for garages that do a lot of emission testing for inspections and they look for places that get performance cars. They will send a guy in asking to cut out his cat's. They can get you as you leave the station and throw your car on their emission machine to see if you pass. I know on the old emission tester it had a video camera in it and can turn on at anytime. If you block the lens your station loses it state license. Even at NYPD there was no screwing around and 2 mechanic had their license pulled and banged 1,000.00 beans for the incident. Believe me more than half of the police cars couldn't pass emission or safety.

When I got my mufflers done a guy came in and what his cat taken out and a straight pipe put in. THe shop owner explained to the guy he can't do that its a crime but the guy wouldn't let up. I ended up stepping in and showed him my I.D and said the same as the shop owner but I added how do I know your not the state employee trying to bust this shop.

This is how NY state does it with any sting they push to the point that you give in. They do the same for bribes to inspectors my friend lost his food truck from a sting the health inspector was their on a monday . The truck passed the inspector showed on weds acting weird he wouldn't leave he was there for 3hrs until my friend thru him a 50.00 to leave. He was processed in my PCT. Same thing if a car pulls into your garage and you see that the brakes are unsafe by law you can't let that car leave.

I forgive you if you let me borrow the Vert !! I promise to put plastic down since driving a vert naked is my thing :hysterical:

In NY they set up stings for garages that do a lot of emission testing for inspections and they look for places that get performance cars. They will send a guy in asking to cut out his cat's. They can get you as you leave the station and throw your car on their emission machine to see if you pass. I know on the old emission tester it had a video camera in it and can turn on at anytime. If you block the lens your station loses it state license. Even at NYPD there was no screwing around and 2 mechanic had their license pulled and banged 1,000.00 beans for the incident. Believe me more than half of the police cars couldn't pass emission or safety.

When I got my mufflers done a guy came in and what his cat taken out and a straight pipe put in. THe shop owner explained to the guy he can't do that its a crime but the guy wouldn't let up. I ended up stepping in and showed him my I.D and said the same as the shop owner but I added how do I know your not the state employee trying to bust this shop.

This is how NY state does it with any sting they push to the point that you give in. They do the same for bribes to inspectors my friend lost his food truck from a sting the health inspector was their on a monday . The truck passed the inspector showed on weds acting weird he wouldn't leave he was there for 3hrs until my friend thru him a 50.00 to leave. He was processed in my PCT. Same thing if a car pulls into your garage and you see that the brakes are unsafe by law you can't let that car leave.

O.O.....wth.... :banghead: thank you god im slightly south...hahaha

I have the shorty's on mine. When I had them installed their really wasn't any performance gain other than they look good. My 2 cents would be to save the money and invest in the Ford Racing Hot Rod cams.... You will get a performance improvement and an unbelievable sound.

Archived