TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The forgotten war

So here's the story...

I told a friend of mine that I was scanning all of my pictures. My collection is something like 30000 (yes, thirty thousand) frames. Going back to to the 70's.

He told me he had slides from the Korean War from 1953. Inchan mud fields. Macarthur. Would you be interested? Sure, bring them and I'll give them a shot.

Today he left them in a baggie.

This could be history...

They are Kodachrome.

I just hope I can do them justice. My pictures are just a slice of time. These are a slice of history..

I won't be able to begin the scan until later in the week as I have to finish a series from the Planet Bluegrass (right down the street from me) 2000 Folks Festival. The headliner was David Crosby and I seem to be missing the best roll of film of the set. I sent some out for reprints and obviously didn't put it back. Sigh...

It takes roughly a day to scan a roll of film. Slides get done 5 at a time and require some manual intervention. I don't know the condition of the slides yet either. I cracked open one box and held one to daylight and they are Kodachrome which is about as good as it gets for preservation. The scratch/dust removal of the scanner doesn't work with Kodachrome though so that makes touchups "by hand".

I'm hoping to have them done in a couple of weeks.

I won't be able to begin the scan until later in the week as I have to finish a series from the Planet Bluegrass (right down the street from me) 2000 Folks Festival. The headliner was David Crosby and I seem to be missing the best roll of film of the set. I sent some out for reprints and obviously didn't put it back. Sigh...

It takes roughly a day to scan a roll of film. Slides get done 5 at a time and require some manual intervention. I don't know the condition of the slides yet either. I cracked open one box and held one to daylight and they are Kodachrome which is about as good as it gets for preservation. The scratch/dust removal of the scanner doesn't work with Kodachrome though so that makes touchups "by hand".

I'm hoping to have them done in a couple of weeks.

Most definitely post up a link or something when you get it done. I've quite a collection of material/books from the Air War in Korea. As a young airman, I flew with a couple of Korean war veterans and it was interesting to hear the contrasting war stories from Korea to Vietnam and then compare them with our latest desert excursions over the last 20 plus years.

I got through one box of slides last night. They really aren't in order and the box had duplicate numbers so they have been shuffled around and aren't all together.

One of the shots was of a camp and it looked just like M*A*S*H. Actually, M*A*S*H might have been nicer. Muddy dirt roads, lots of Quonset huts.

Archived