TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nav or not ?

winters

You seem to be the only one that speaks so highly of the shaker 1000 which is basically junk. You get a subwoofer in the trunk that is below average at best. The factory system gives you the same output has the shaker without the sub. You can always add it later if you like. Nav is the way to go and the best that I have spent. Brings so much life to the car. The Cobra greeting you in the morning and evening when you start the car. When the car gets low in gas the nearest gas stations just popping up on the screen. The ability to search surrounding areas for places to eat. Movies and times that they are starting. Just great being intergrated to the car. Granted anyone can get a phone or Tom Tom or whatever. Nothing like having it all built in. Plus you can watch movies and that's a great feature if you don't want your copilot bothering you on long trips. My wife use to always ask how fast we were going and bother about nonsense when I was driving. Throw on one of her favorite series and I can drive like I stole it and she's fine lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love my shaker 1000 5x better then the 500, and I have had shaker 500's, it's far from junk IMO.My wife has the nav package in her ford edge.... and like I said before WASTE OF MONEY!!!! My Droid will take me any where your nav will and speak it clearly over the speakers just like yours and it's about 2300 bucks less,.. oh and for the dude who wants to watch movies, who in the hell watches movies when your in a Shelby, but then again I don't do road trips with mine, it's just my toy not my win-a-bagel(lol,lol)......

Love my shaker 1000 5x better then the 500, and I have had shaker 500's, it's far from junk IMO.My wife has the nav package in her ford edge.... and like I said before WASTE OF MONEY!!!! My Droid will take me any where your nav will and speak it clearly over the speakers just like yours and it's about 2300 bucks less,.. oh and for the dude who wants to watch movies, who in the hell watches movies when your in a Shelby, but then again I don't do road trips with mine, it's just my toy not my win-a-bagel(lol,lol)......

Not.

In you're case if you just use it as a toy- then no, you probably don't need it.

As for the rest of us- it's better. And I fully agree with the no cell service- go for a drive beyond the 3g network, and your cellphone is worthless for nav. Plus you have to have an ugly mount to hold it. Let's see, 8" screen vs a x.x cell phone screen?

Ummm sorry dude...but the HID's are a separate option on the 2010 and not part of the electronics pkg. I have no electronics pkg on my 2010 but I do have HID's.

If you selected the electronics package they included the HID headlights as part of that package, which as you said could also be had as a separate add-on. This is at least the way it worked when I ordered mine.

not to be bias but in a car that your going to spend 40k+ it makes it more enjoyable to have the nav option. Without nav the interior looks cheaper like a boss. just seeing the snake pop up when u turn it on shows its not just another mustang.If buying used anyway im sure its not going to be that much of a difference in price anyway. i say go for the nav and there will be no regrets.

You seem to be the only one that speaks so highly of the shaker 1000 which is basically junk. You get a subwoofer in the trunk that is below average at best. The factory system gives you the same output has the shaker without the sub. You can always add it later if you like. Nav is the way to go and the best that I have spent. Brings so much life to the car. The Cobra greeting you in the morning and evening when you start the car. When the car gets low in gas the nearest gas stations just popping up on the screen. The ability to search surrounding areas for places to eat. Movies and times that they are starting. Just great being intergrated to the car. Granted anyone can get a phone or Tom Tom or whatever. Nothing like having it all built in. Plus you can watch movies and that's a great feature if you don't want your copilot bothering you on long trips. My wife use to always ask how fast we were going and bother about nonsense when I was driving. Throw on one of her favorite series and I can drive like I stole it and she's fine lol

Really, I have not noticed it, but it will add gas station POI icons when you're low on fuel. I'll have to check that out, which will be later today, or maybe tomorrow at best!.?! :hysterical:

Throwing a movie on while driving? Do you have LockPick installed?

Two notes:

The blue valve covers are used on engines with aluminum blocks (2011+).

In regard to the nav. problems and J.D. Power, this has to do with the My Ford Touch systems. It reminds me of the dreaded BMW iDrive :finger: Since the GT500 doesn't have it, you are OK with getting the stock nav.

If you selected the electronics package they included the HID headlights as part of that package, which as you said could also be had as a separate add-on.

This is at least the way it worked when I ordered mine.

Not on mine.

The electronics package and the HID's are two different option numbers listed on two different lines with prices listed for each individual option. The HID's are NOT shown as part of the electronics package on my 2010 GT500. I can get the window sticker and quote the option numbers and prices of each if you wish.

When I was looking for my car I could have ordered my car with HID's and without Electronics or with Electronics and without HID's on the Ford Mo. Co. "Build One" section of their site.

I ordered my car with every option offered at the time which was only the Electronics Package, HID Headlamps and a Car Cover (which also has a line in the options section with its own price and a option number).

Now on the 2011's it's different. EVERY GT500 gets HID's regardless of the Electronics Package (or not). I *thought* that policy was for the full Mustang line until the day before yesterday when I saw a Roush Stage 2 sitting on the floor with standard headlamps in it.

So you can still get standard headlamps on a Mustang, just not on a GT500 (from '11 on).

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500 Coupe

useless, and always fingerprints all over the screen, imo , not suppose to be in a "hot rod" just my opinion

The dual zone climate is certainly nice - not to mention the perfect commonality with my MKS, Taurus SHO and Flex.

And for $5, a screen protector will relieve the matter of fingerprints - not to mention a $2 can of glass wipes.

Yes I have lockpick. Has for the Winnebago. Nothing like a 700+ hp Winnebago. Not my only means of transportation by far. I have quite a few cars and trucks. Now that I look outside 8 automobiles and 5 motorcycles. However I do take 2-4 hour drives in the car. If there is a car show within 250 miles or something the wifey wants to go and says let's take the Shelby then I will. Whoever asked about the lockpick, yes I do and the best money spent. Back up camera looks great and I use it from time to time when driving along just to see behind me lol. It makes the entire Nav active while driving so I don't have to stop the car for some of the features to unlock. Last but not least if your buying the car brand new and ordering it why not get everything they have to offer. My last 5 cars I brought brand new I ordered all with NAV. The Shelby is in a league of it's own with a factory unit. I say get what you want. If that was the case why get a radio. Plug your earphones into your cellphone and use all its accessories why even get a radio period.

Yes I have lockpick. Has for the Winnebago. Nothing like a 700+ hp Winnebago. Not my only means of transportation by far. I have quite a few cars and trucks. Now that I look outside 8 automobiles and 5 motorcycles. However I do take 2-4 hour drives in the car. If there is a car show within 250 miles or something the wifey wants to go and says let's take the Shelby then I will. Whoever asked about the lockpick, yes I do and the best money spent. Back up camera looks great and I use it from time to time when driving along just to see behind me lol. It makes the entire Nav active while driving so I don't have to stop the car for some of the features to unlock. Last but not least if your buying the car brand new and ordering it why not get everything they have to offer. My last 5 cars I brought brand new I ordered all with NAV. The Shelby is in a league of it's own with a factory unit. I say get what you want. If that was the case why get a radio. Plug your earphones into your cellphone and use all its accessories why even get a radio period.

On what year GT500 did you install the LockPick? Does it lose the Cobra intro when you turn on the car? No software issues when installing?

BTW, Nav is well worth it! "TraveLink, Weather Map" is probably the most said phrase I say.

You make about as much sense as a 1 year old babbling....why get a radio, ha.... ! I got 20 cars, 50 motorcycles and 80 boats , what's your point ... I won two million dollars on a lotto ticket while were talking about finances rich guy,....ya tool....

On what year GT500 did you install the LockPick? Does it lose the Cobra intro when you turn on the car? No software issues when installing?

BTW, Nav is well worth it! "TraveLink, Weather Map" is probably the most said phrase I say.

It's an 11. Nothing changes. You still get the Snake welcoming you upon start up. No issues with it so far and I constatnly play with the Nav while I'm in the car. When you put in a movie it just continues to play without a glitch. Hold the call button down for about 4 seconds while driving and the gray areas of the Nav will turn blue so you can use them while driving. Hold it down for over 8 seconds and the rear view carmera comes on.. It's a bit on the expensive side but it's all plug and play. No wires to cut and you can remove it without anyone knowing it was there. Never said I was a rich guy. Said the last 5 cars I brought all have Nav and will never buy a vehicle without it. Don't get butt hurt it will be okay. I do know a good therapist that can help you out.

Not on mine.

The electronics package and the HID's are two different option numbers listed on two different lines with prices listed for each individual option. The HID's are NOT shown as part of the electronics package on my 2010 GT500. I can get the window sticker and quote the option numbers and prices of each if you wish.

When I was looking for my car I could have ordered my car with HID's and without Electronics or with Electronics and without HID's on the Ford Mo. Co. "Build One" section of their site.

I ordered my car with every option offered at the time which was only the Electronics Package, HID Headlamps and a Car Cover (which also has a line in the options section with its own price and a option number).

Now on the 2011's it's different. EVERY GT500 gets HID's regardless of the Electronics Package (or not). I *thought* that policy was for the full Mustang line until the day before yesterday when I saw a Roush Stage 2 sitting on the floor with standard headlamps in it.

So you can still get standard headlamps on a Mustang, just not on a GT500 (from '11 on).

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500 Coupe

Eh, I must have looked at it wrong then....lol.

I think the NAV is a waste of money. I had it in my 2010 and while it was nice it quickly is becoming dated. Plus most of the additional functionality is tied to having a Travel Link subscription. My 2011 doesn’t have it and have been using my Android phone so far for NAV with no issues. I got a Snake badge on my steering wheel, having it on the screen was neat for the first week. The one thing I do miss is electronic climate control. My 1997 Cougar had it and I think it's kind of embarrassing a 2011 Mustang doesn't have it standard.

If you're like me and you have a 1000+ songs on your music USB stick, the onscreen display makes navigating to artists/albums etc much more bearable when you just want to "browse" your music. I get a visual heads up of what song is play and just cycle through songs with my steering wheel controls.

The dual climate control is nice when the wife is cold and you're not.

It's also nice to be able to go through your phonebook on the touchscreen to make a call withou having to pull my blackberry out of the holster. When someone is calling me it displays their name on the screen and I can go through my call history as well on the screen which has saved me time. The electronics display is all about conveniences, and while I agree it doesn't fit the "Muscle Car" image, I think that image is morphing into something more streamlined and high tech these days.

They way I look at it when I sell my Shelby the on screen display of the Cobra is just icing on the cake to suck in the new buyer. It gets a lot of comments from people when I show the car off at shows or to friends/family. 2K is really not that much money for everything you get over the life of the car.

Plus most of the additional functionality is tied to having a Travel Link subscription.

For the most part, this is accurate. I wouldn't go with "most of the additionall functionality" but a lot of it IS tied into the Travel Link subscription, which you DO pay for.

I got a lifetime subscription on the Sirrius Radio part but the Travel Link won't allow a lifetime sub. I have to pay for it every....hmm, two years (I think)???

Phill

If you're like me and you have a 1000+ songs on your music USB stick, the onscreen display makes navigating to artists/albums etc much more bearable when you just want to "browse" your music. I get a visual heads up of what song is play and just cycle through songs with my steering wheel controls.

The dual climate control is nice when the wife is cold and you're not.

It's also nice to be able to go through your phonebook on the touchscreen to make a call withou having to pull my blackberry out of the holster. When someone is calling me it displays their name on the screen and I can go through my call history as well on the screen which has saved me time. The electronics display is all about conveniences, and while I agree it doesn't fit the "Muscle Car" image, I think that image is morphing into something more streamlined and high tech these days.

They way I look at it when I sell my Shelby the on screen display of the Cobra is just icing on the cake to suck in the new buyer. It gets a lot of comments from people when I show the car off at shows or to friends/family. 2K is really not that much money for everything you get over the life of the car.

I agree it's easier to select songs on the touch screen and climate control is nice. However, just telling the car who to call is much easier than using the touch screen. I guess each of us values $2k differently and think it's a rip-off. Depending on how long you keep the car Sync will become dated and it will be easier to go aftermarket without the NAV.

I agree it's easier to select songs on the touch screen and climate control is nice. However, just telling the car who to call is much easier than using the touch screen. I guess each of us values $2k differently and think it's a rip-off. Depending on how long you keep the car Sync will become dated and it will be easier to go aftermarket without the NAV.

It's hardly a "Rip-off" as far as options go. You're getting a ton of functionality that you don't get with the base system and If Sync becomes "dated" you can always get an update for it. Considering I have a convertible and don't feel like, nor could I if I wanted to, put my top up every time I leave my car, an ugly window sticker NAV unit isn't an option unless I feel like locking it in my glove box or console every time I get out instead.

If Ford's voice recognition software wasn't so buggy I might agree with you but I gave up using voice dial when I couldn't get the system to recognize certain people or it would dial the wrong people. The larger your phone book or your music list, the less accurate the voice recognition becomes. The touchscreen becomes invaluable at this point.

If Ford's voice recognition software wasn't so buggy I might agree with you but I gave up using voice dial when I couldn't get the system to recognize certain people or it would dial the wrong people.

Man, I haven't had ANY problem at all with the voice recog. feature and I *usually* do because I have a mustache and it apparently muffles my tones.

I've *never* had it misunderstand a voice command I've given it.

Mine is a 2010 so maybe they've improved?????

Phill

It's hardly a "Rip-off" as far as options go. You're getting a ton of functionality that you don't get with the base system and If Sync becomes "dated" you can always get an update for it. Considering I have a convertible and don't feel like, nor could I if I wanted to, put my top up every time I leave my car, an ugly window sticker NAV unit isn't an option unless I feel like locking it in my glove box or console every time I get out instead.

If Ford's voice recognition software wasn't so buggy I might agree with you but I gave up using voice dial when I couldn't get the system to recognize certain people or it would dial the wrong people. The larger your phone book or your music list, the less accurate the voice recognition becomes. The touchscreen becomes invaluable at this point.

I have 500+ people in my phone book and hardly any issue with the voice commands. Gotta stop eating while you talk. ;)

Yes, given the current pricing of navigation systems the NAV is a rip-off and is already dated by Fords own MyFord Touch. Maybe it's because I'm in the technology field I don't see the value compared to equipment I know about.

Love my Nav here. I am still under the 6 months free trial for Sirius Travel link and radio. And obviously I still have the free 3 year subscription of Sync's travel (which uses the phone to dial in for info). I never use the phone for info but I LOVE the Sirius Travel Link with Traffic data. I use that all the time. No problems at all with touch screen on navigation and have already set up subscription for Sirius Travel Link for when the trial ends.

oh and 2012 GT500

Man, I haven't had ANY problem at all with the voice recog. feature and I *usually* do because I have a mustache and it apparently muffles my tones.

I've *never* had it misunderstand a voice command I've given it.

Mine is a 2010 so maybe they've improved?????

Phill

Mine is a 2011. I honestly have more issues with music than with contacts, I can't recall the name of the person that SYNC wouldn't recognize but once I had the issue I started using the touch screen instead.

The issue is in how SYNC matches long and short sounds of the same letters. For instance I have a few albums by Theatre of Tragedy that SYNC will not recognize unless I call them Theatre of "Trag-hedy" which is exactly how she pronounces it. If I pronounce it like it is sounded then I get a list of possible choices which sometimes doesn't even have the correct choice listed.

I have 500+ people in my phone book and hardly any issue with the voice commands. Gotta stop eating while you talk. ;)

Yes, given the current pricing of navigation systems the NAV is a rip-off and is already dated by Fords own MyFord Touch. Maybe it's because I'm in the technology field I don't see the value compared to equipment I know about.

I enunciate very clearly and am from Ohio which is pretty well known for having as close to an accentless version of English as you can find. I can repeat certain things multiple times perfectly clearly and it will get them wrong every time. The problem lies in the software voice recognition and issues with the complexities of the English language coupled with a large number of possible choices.

I've worked in IT my whole life, and for $2,000 the electronics package is pretty reasonable although certainly not bargain priced. Touch screens are not inexpensive at that size and then you have a 60GB HD, Climate control system and sensors, GPS Antenna, beefier amplifier, and a DVD drive. Considering this is a factory unit that is covered by 3 year and extended warranty ( you'd be crazy not to buy one) and the fact it makes your GT500 easier to sell down the road ....it isn't "dated", a "rip-off" or any of those things.

The Ford Nav system was top ranked by JD Power for a reason.

Archived