TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cat Back Exhaust Versus Axle-Back

Ezareth

So I'm looking at exhaust options for my 2011 GT500 and there is a considerable cost difference between an axle back and cat back exaust system(obviously).

My question is considering the systems I'm looking at all use the same 2.75 inch pipe is there anything gained by getting a cat back system to justify the increased expense? I know in some older base Mustangs Ford has some terrible designs in the pipe bending which restricted air flow but is the same true of the 2011 GT500? I'd hate to spend another $500 for nothing. Any additional info from people knowledgeable on the matter would be appreciated.

Your '11 has a very good flowing system already. You may get minimal gains from a full system, but to answer your question you'd probably be wasting your money. If you want to change for the sound then change mufflers but these cars don't benefit much from full systems like N/A cars do.

Did miy cat back today----the factory pipes are restrictive to say the least. In one place they looked like the had a dent (oblong) in them!! Love my Magna Flow!!!!

Going to do the new SC in a couple of weeks!!!! Will be a real monster then!!

Who knows about the HP gain... Will be putting the new SC on in a couple of weeks so-----a lesson I learned with my oil burners that made more power than these cars is that They Need To Breathe! ;)

IMHO, if you are trying to gain HP due to restriction, then look at the manifolds and the ports in the heads. This is where most restrictions are. It won't make much difference down line if the flow is damed up front. Maybe some guys here can give us pictures of the ports and show if they can be cleaned up to increase flow. These cars already have sizable pipes to move a lot of air.

I'm up for debate as well.

Anyone know about how our 2010/11+ would sound w/ stock h and this:

2011-2012 Mustang GT / Shelby GT500 MRT Interceptor Axle-Back Exhaust

Or

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-shelby-gt500-exhaust-cat-backs-pypes-c-8485_8846_10425_10430/pypes-2011-mustang-gt-5-0l-3-mid-muffler-cat-back-system-p-35032

For full cat back $500 ?

Archived