TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowered Cars: Beware of Curbs!

I finally got around to ordering a new front splitter to replace my bent and scraped original. Once I lowered the car with the FRPP Handling Pack, I can recall two good hits on parking spot curbs, bad enough to "roll" the splitter and scratch the upper face. I didn't think anything of it, assuming the weaker splitter would take the brunt of the damage. Wrong.

Imagine my surprise when I removed my license plate! (See the gut-wrenching pictures below.) Looks like when the sides of the splitter rolled down, the center rolled up, pressed against my license plate bracket, and warped the bumper cover.

So, I have a new bumper cover and stripes on order to go with my new splitter and lower grille. Total estimated cost? Around $1,000 painted and installed. Definitely an expensive mistake, and one I won't repeat. I'll be backing into parking spots from now on. :banghead:

IMG_20110624_095307.jpg

IMG_20110624_095312.jpg

IMG_20110624_095307.jpg

IMG_20110624_095312.jpg

I finally got around to ordering a new front splitter to replace my bent and scraped original. Once I lowered the car with the FRPP Handling Pack, I can recall two good hits on parking spot curbs, bad enough to "roll" the splitter and scratch the upper face. I didn't think anything of it, assuming the weaker splitter would take the brunt of the damage. Wrong.

Imagine my surprise when I removed my license plate! (See the gut-wrenching pictures below.) Looks like when the sides of the splitter rolled down, the center rolled up, pressed against my license plate bracket, and warped the bumper cover.

So, I have a new bumper cover and stripes on order to go with my new splitter and lower grille. Total estimated cost? Around $1,000 painted and installed. Definitely an expensive mistake, and one I won't repeat. I'll be backing into parking spots from now on. :banghead:

I don't see how anyone could actually drive a lowered GT500. Mine undercarriage scrapes on almost everything 2 inch’s high already. I literally live on the flattest spot on earth and it scrapes on the 2 inch gas filling ports at the gas station. You have to drive crossways through the low gutters from the street to the driveway. A Lowered car wouldn't make it!

I don't see how anyone could actually drive a lowered GT500. Mine undercarriage scrapes on almost everything 2 inch's high already. I literally live on the flattest spot on earth and it scrapes on the 2 inch gas filling ports at the gas station. You have to drive crossways through the low gutters from the street to the driveway. A Lowered car wouldn't make it!

+1 !

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how anyone could actually drive a lowered GT500. Mine undercarriage scrapes on almost everything 2 inch’s high already. I literally live on the flattest spot on earth and it scrapes on the 2 inch gas filling ports at the gas station. You have to drive crossways through the low gutters from the street to the driveway. A Lowered car wouldn't make it!

I see you have 3" exhaust. That's what keeps bottoming out on your car. Mine did the same thing and when I lowered it it was worse. No more though. 2.5" exhaust back on with zero clearance issues with the lowered car.

Jim

To the OP.......can't you take a heat gun and heat the inside part of the bumper and press it out? I recieved a bumper that was bent in a few places once. I let it set in a natural state and it straightened itself out. Just a thought before you spend a grand.

Did the same thing on mine last Saturday just turning on a side road, It had a slight dip for drainage. I was just starting to move and felt a scrape, it took off my remote control license plate and gouged up the chin spoiler. At least it did not damage the paint.

• 1 month later...

That's just one of the many reasons I don't want my car any lower than it is!

AW come on, lower the car. A stock GT-500 looks like a 4 wheel drive truck. Us GT-H and SGT folks have been fighting curbs and parking bollards forever. It's a real character builder when you scrape the nose. I love the parking challenge. Just kidding, regards, Larry

My father wanted to drive the car he is 72 years old hes losing his :headscratch: but so he stop asking me the same question i let him drive it i back it out to were he can get in by the stoop cause its like a path so he goes in backs it up he doesn't hit the brake and it keeps rolling and its the back of the curb! i told him get out i pulled it in the drive way and polished it out. No more driving the car for him anymore :yahoo::yahoo:

AW come on, lower the car. A stock GT-500 looks like a 4 wheel drive truck. Us GT-H and SGT folks have been fighting curbs and parking bollards forever. It's a real character builder when you scrape the nose. I love the parking challenge. Just kidding, regards, Larry

Yes, those curbs and hunps are brutal!!!!

Archived