TEAM SHELBY FORUM

correct carb jets for an '83 Shelby

Hello everyone,

I have my original '83 Charger, no modifications, still have the original radio, spare tire, and window sticker (I am the second owner). I am going to rebuild the carburetor on her, but I need to know what are the correct jets that I should be using? I was told by the previous owner that he and his father in law had rebuilt the carb, and she never ran right since. I at first switched the jets, and found that she ran much better, at least she would make it past the next drive way without shutting down. The problem is she wants to cough and weeze, and really really doesn't want to run. Only recently have I found out these had different jets on them than the standard Holley. So I am wondering if it could be wrong jets installed? Please leave me any feedback if you have any, Thank you very much for your insight.

• 8 months later...

Hello there. Might have missed something in the last rebuild. Even the wrong jest would allow you to get going better unless they were drastically bigger/smaller than needed. Not sure where in MI you are, but there are a few SDAC Great Lakes Chapter members that might be able to help you out.

• 1 month later...

JT,

Thanks for your reply, I'm on the South East side of Michigan, just above Toledo OH. I don't know if there are SDAC Great Lakes Chapter members in my immediate area. Currently, I'm deployed in Afghanistan, but would very much like to find out if anyone knows what jets I should actually have in the Carb. I have just now heard that Mr. Shelby has passed away, a true loss. I really enjoy my Shelby, and would like to go through the carburetor and get it up to snuff. If you might be able to let me know who might have some knowledge in this area, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you again.

I have my original '83 Charger, no modifications, still have the original radio, spare tire, and window sticker (I am the second owner). I am going to rebuild the carburetor on her, but I need to know what are the correct jets that I should be using? I was told by the previous owner that he and his father in law had rebuilt the carb, and she never ran right since. I at first switched the jets, and found that she ran much better, at least she would make it past the next drive way without shutting down. The problem is she wants to cough and weeze, and really really doesn't want to run. Only recently have I found out these had different jets on them than the standard Holley. So I am wondering if it could be wrong jets installed? Please leave me any feedback if you have any, Thank you very much for your insight.

I agree with the other poster: Wrong jets shouldn't give you that kind of driveabilty problem.

What RPM range do you get the problem in?

Idle?

Off idle (transition)?

Cruise?

Power (WOT)?

Cold engine?

Acceleration?

Those are 6 of the 7 circuits in a Carb. (Float = #7). Narrow it down to one of those areas and work on the particular circuit that is problematic.

Is the carb a Holley? 1V, 2V or 4V?

I assume it has a vacuum actuated power valve? They are notorious for leaking fuel past them on a Holley carb.

The fuel passages are also problematic as are the fuel transfer ports and idle ciruit ports. Get a little crap in it and it'll act like a plugged jet.

Give me some more info and I can probably guide you through the problem. I have pretty extensive Carb. experience, on all types of carbs.

Phill Pollard (retired Driveability Tech)

Archived