TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Starting Mods

relopez98

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and start modding my Shelby. I need some advice.

Here are the specifics:

1) I want to spend no more than about $3k

2) I don't want to change out the supercharger

3) I'd like a CAI/Tune/Pulley swap/heat exchanger upgrade

4) I'd like to get rid of wheel hop

With those specifics in mind...what is the best bang for my buck?

I've read that there are some decent stage 2 packages out there that will give me about a 100hp boost w/ just a tune/pulley swap/CAI...which ones are the best and will give me years of trouble free durability?

What are my options for eliminating wheel hop? I'm inclined to keep my current UCA/LCA and swap out the bushings w/ something else, but don't know if it is easier (see cheaper) to order different UCA/LCA. Also, are UCA necessary?

Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks,

I did the FRPP CAI and VMP 92 Octane tune. I have the VMP 2.59 pulley, idler and the removal install on order. The total for the mods is little over $1k.

I haven't addressed the wheel hop yet, it will probably be my next project.

Since you have a 2007, you might want to consider changing out the balancer to the upgraded one. It is a lot lighter and can gain you some extra horsepower. Get it all at the same time so you know it will work together and to do it once.

Since you have a 2007, you might want to consider changing out the balancer to the upgraded one. It is a lot lighter and can gain you some extra horsepower. Get it all at the same time so you know it will work together and to do it once.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up. I figure I'll be able to get it all from the same place.

I know that there are a lot of packages out there, from FRPP to EVO, etc. Just not sure which are the best packages out there w/o having to swap out the supercharger.

Also a little unsure as to the best way to remedy the wheel hop.

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Eric

I usually recommend VMP Tuning. They have good customer service and they get everything out the door pretty quick.

Here is the link for the CAI and pulley: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=312&parent=105

Here is the link for the balancer: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=269&parent=104

You can have this all done in a half a day taking your time.

If I were you Id go through Justin/ VMP or Lethal performance for all of the performace stuff.

CAI/ JLT 127mm its their newest and best to date according to them

Pulley/ VMP 2.59

Tuner? SCT X3 with a tune from Justin or Lund

Lower balancer, dont just swap...get an IW 10%OD

Wheel hop...So many different combos that folks swear by. some go with just the Roush anti wheel hop kit. Others go with much more aggressive...UCA/LCA/Panhard/Springs/etc.

You should easily be able to achieve your goal within your budget. You may be able to get a package deal if you buy everything from one vendor. Lethalperformance could supply everything. Good luck keep us posted.

If I were you Id go through Justin/ VMP or Lethal performance for all of the performace stuff.

CAI/ JLT 127mm its their newest and best to date according to them

Pulley/ VMP 2.59

Tuner? SCT X3 with a tune from Justin or Lund

Lower balancer, dont just swap...get an IW 10%OD

Wheel hop...So many different combos that folks swear by. some go with just the Roush anti wheel hop kit. Others go with much more aggressive...UCA/LCA/Panhard/Springs/etc.

You should easily be able to achieve your goal within your budget. You may be able to get a package deal if you buy everything from one vendor. Lethalperformance could supply everything. Good luck keep us posted.

I'm a mod novice and have no idea what "Lower balancer, dont just swap...get an IW 10%OD" means. Please elaborate.

I see how the new balancers is lighter and seems to add some HP and will include it whatever order I end up purchasing.

Also, I'm in Dallas and it gets pretty hot. What about a new heat exchanger...any advice?

The IW (Innovators West) 10%OD (Over Drive) balancer will help spin the super charger faster thus giving you more boost. The more boost you have, the more power you get. You will also need to get a different belt because of the size. I would still go to VMP and see about getting a package deal on all the items you want. If you want to get a heat exchanger, you can always get that later. If you drag race, then I would get the heat exchanger right away. AFCO puts out a good one. Shelby also sells them in the store but they are pretty pricey.

Here is the link to the IW balancer. http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=259&parent=104

I'm a mod novice and have no idea what "Lower balancer, dont just swap...get an IW 10%OD" means. Please elaborate.

I see how the new balancers is lighter and seems to add some HP and will include it whatever order I end up purchasing.

Also, I'm in Dallas and it gets pretty hot. What about a new heat exchanger...any advice?

Congrats on starting the mods 98.

The Revan/Shelby duel fan heat exchange is a must mod and easy to install. Send Van (Revan Racing) a PM and he'll walk you through it.

Just get everything from Van at Revan Racing. He'll answer the phone himself when you call, answer any and all of your questions, and get you the best setup for the amount you want to spend. Give him a call, one stop shopping for sure.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Lots of options to pour through. Looks like: LCA swap, upper pulley, lower pulley (though not sure if I want to go w/ the 10% OD as I'm not really comfortable with filing down that flap), CAI, Tune, heat exchanger, should get me up there on par with some of you guys.

I'll keep everyone posted on the summer's upgrades. This looks this is just going to be the beginning.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Lots of options to pour through. Looks like: LCA swap, upper pulley, lower pulley (though not sure if I want to go w/ the 10% OD as I'm not really comfortable with filing down that flap), CAI, Tune, heat exchanger, should get me up there on par with some of you guys.

I'll keep everyone posted on the summer's upgrades. This looks this is just going to be the beginning.

Oh man, you got that right brother. The mod bug is strong and costly, but worth it.

Best of luck 98.

I have an AFCO heat exchanger sitting in my garage. I upgraded to the Shelby C&R heat exchanger. If the power/suspension/cooling upgrades you want don't fit within your budget then I can help you out. You can have the AFCO HE for free, you just pay for shipping.

If you don't mind i would like to give you some advice. In my opinion you are best off upgrading the suspension first. Rip out the stock control arms and put in something that is more rigid. I made the mistake of upgrading the power first and found out that the additional power was useless as it could not be transferred to the ground due to poor suspension components.

I have an AFCO heat exchanger sitting in my garage. I upgraded to the Shelby C&R heat exchanger. If the power/suspension/cooling upgrades you want don't fit within your budget then I can help you out. You can have the AFCO HE for free, you just pay for shipping.

If you don't mind i would like to give you some advice. In my opinion you are best off upgrading the suspension first. Rip out the stock control arms and put in something that is more rigid. I made the mistake of upgrading the power first and found out that the additional power was useless as it could not be transferred to the ground due to poor suspension components.

Great advise.

My votes go to VMP & Revan Racing they know these cars better than anyone else does. For 3K they can prob get you over the 600 RWHP mark, still a tvs would be the best thing and it is simple to do. There always are used ones for around 2500-3k on all these forums. You have the 2 top tuners in the industry at Revan Racing ( Jon Lund ) and VMP ( Justin Starkey ). Van's response time is 2nd to none so I choose to spend my $$ there.

Best of luck on whatever you choose to do.

Chris

Archived