TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Black spots in the clear coat?

relopez98

Anyone had any black spots in their clearcoat? I've noticed several on mine in various places. Not very noticible unless you know where they are. Problem is that they don't come off with a wash.

Anyone got any clues???

Various places where? As on the sides or top?

I've seen where spots on the sides were caused by the tire dressing. That stuff can be hard to get off. Other than that dunno.

Various places where? As on the sides or top?

I've seen where spots on the sides were caused by the tire dressing. That stuff can be hard to get off. Other than that dunno.

No, pretty unevenly distributed all over the car. Sides, the hood, the rear deck, even on the spoiler. Made the mistake of rubbing a bit too hard on the spoiler. Now got swirls. :closedeyes:

I'm not sure, but I think that pre production may have something to do w/ it. 195888 ends my vin.

What do you think?

No, pretty unevenly distributed all over the car. Sides, the hood, the rear deck, even on the spoiler. Made the mistake of rubbing a bit too hard on the spoiler. Now got swirls. :closedeyes:

I'm not sure, but I think that pre production may have something to do w/ it. 195888 ends my vin.

What do you think?

I think if I got the rest of your vin correct it was built 5/16/06 and purchased from Westway Ford in Irving TX.

Would that be correct?

Industrial fall-out. Have the car clayed and re wax should be good to go!

So, I know I'm quite the novice but "clayed and re wax? :sos: " right over my head. I've tried some over the counter junk, but it just doesn't seem to do the trick.

Damn, "spot" on. All puns intended. How'd ya do that?

Easy,

Build date 5/16/06

Sale date 7/31/06

Warranty state date 8/2/06 (I assume this is the date you took delivery?)

But what I'm still confused on is the build date when Job 1 was suppose to be 6/5/06.

They were supposedly still building 06 in May.

All the info from Ford said 6/5/06 was the start date for the 07 mustangs. I did not know any shelby's were built prior to that.

BTW, it helps when you work at a dealership to get some of this info.

Easy,

Build date 5/16/06

Sale date 7/31/06

But what I'm still confused on is the build date when Job 1 was suppose to be 6/5/06.

All the info from Ford said 6/5/06 was the start date for the 07 mustangs. I did not know any shelby's were built prior to that.

You're someone good to know, especially if any quirks develop.

Did a search on this site earlier, found info to the effect that 195xxx denoted preproduction vehicles. Guess that means prior to job one?

Sticker, manual, etc. all say 2007. Came with a little over 20 miles on it; but I think the GM at the dealership took it for a spin before I got there. Stuff like that's never bothered me too much. So far my wife, pops, brother, sister in law, and a slew of friends have taken it out for a spin. Figured they helped me break it in.

Easy,

Build date 5/16/06

Sale date 7/31/06

What I really want to know is what was going on between 5/16/06 and when I took delivery, right around 8/2/06. She had some rust on the rotors when I got it, figured it had been sitting out in Flat Rock while QC was pending.

You're someone good to know, especially if any quirks develop.

Did a search on this site earlier, found info to the effect that 195xxx denoted preproduction vehicles. Guess that means prior to job one?

Sticker, manual, etc. all say 2007. Came with a little over 20 miles on it; but I think the GM at the dealership took it for a spin before I got there. Stuff like that's never bothered me too much. So far my wife, pops, brother, sister in law, and a slew of friends have taken it out for a spin. Figured they helped me break it in.

I would have to think so. I know they had some preproduction models.

BTW, anyone remember the date Ron Pratte was at the plant watching his be built? His was suppose to be the 1st production number built. For $600k it should have been!

What I really want to know is what was going on between 5/16/06 and when I took delivery, right around 8/2/06. She had some rust on the rotors when I got it, figured it had been sitting out in Flat Rock while QC was pending.

Another thing that looks a little odd is that your car shows original warranty date 7/31 then a start date 8/2.

Mine both show the same date.

So, I know I'm quite the novice but "clayed and re wax? :sos: " right over my head. I've tried some over the counter junk, but it just doesn't seem to do the trick.

There is special automotive clay that is pressed/ rubbed on the paint which picks up most anything that is imbedded in the paint. Industrial fallout is very common in US cars, it starts out looking like black spots then looks like rust specks over time. Then re-wax. I have all my cars done when new. Works for me!!!

QUOTE(ShelbyDude @ Mar 19 2007, 10:54 PM)

How did you get a May 06 build date when production didn't start until June 5th?

Did you mean order date? Or are you suppose to have a preproduction unit?

Preproduction, I assume. I've attached a small pic from inside the driver door that says 05/06. That's where I'm getting May 06 from. Never ordered one. Just got on a list in a dealership in Dallas; I was like 8th when I put down a deposit in May. Got the call at the end of July, negotiated for a couple of days, had the car the next week. Perfect timing as I had just finished taking the BAR exam and needed to "unwind".

As to preproduction, I'm totally lost and could use some clarification.

1) what does it mean?

2) does it make mine more highly sought after?

3) I've heard rumors that these were built with more care and attention

4) what was the purpose of the preproduction.

To be perfectly honest, I was just a lucky SOB, at the right place and time. I had been drooling over the car since they were first announced. Was told by the dealer that the other 7 in front of me either didn't want a vert, or didn't like the color. Color didn't matter to me, only that it was a vert.

There is special automotive clay that is pressed/ rubbed on the paint which picks up most anything that is imbedded in the paint. Industrial fallout is very common in US cars, it starts out looking like black spots then looks like rust specks over time. Then re-wax. I have all my cars done when new. Works for me!!!

thanks, I know what to look for now.

Another thing that looks a little odd is that your car shows original warranty date 7/31 then a start date 8/2.

Mine both show the same date.

Purchased it a couple of days before I actually got it, not too far removed though. That's how it worked out. Dealer needed to meet the monthly quota, which the GM told me, and my price wouldn't have lasted into Aug. They were going to put it on ebay and auction it off starting Aug. 1. Not complaining too much; calling it my first irresponsible purchase. Kid and wife loved it, and that was important to me.

BTW, anyone remember the date Ron Pratte was at the plant watching his be built? His was suppose to be the 1st production number built. For $600k it should have been!

June 23, 2006, or so I found on the site.

barretjackson4.jpg

Yo Shelbydude, here's something that looks conspiciously like the one sitting in my garage...Date on the web tag is 6/24/06

gt500.oktoship500.jpg

I'm a fleet manager and buyer for a fleet of telecommunications vehicles. All of my vehicles are Oxford white. Not long ago, some of my local fleet managers were complaining about black dots in the paint. I got a tech bulletin from Ford about paint imperfections caused by pollutents during rail shipments. The warranty correction was for the dealership to remove them with a magnet and buff out what was left. Ford attributed some of the imperfections to hot rail embers. You may have something like that but regardless of what it is it should be a warranty issue.

I'm a fleet manager and buyer for a fleet of telecommunications vehicles. All of my vehicles are Oxford white. Not long ago, some of my local fleet managers were complaining about black dots in the paint. I got a tech bulletin from Ford about paint imperfections caused by pollutents during rail shipments. The warranty correction was for the dealership to remove them with a magnet and buff out what was left. Ford attributed some of the imperfections to hot rail embers. You may have something like that but regardless of what it is it should be a warranty issue.

rail dust is common and should be removable with paint clay. Try that first. If it does not work, see you dealer.

Paint Clay. Click Me.

Several car care manufacturers make it. I always use it prior to polishing or waxing. It helps reduce swirls. If you leave the junk on your and wax it, the wax will push it around on the paint and cause swirls/scratches.

Is yours a red coupe with red inserts purchased from Bowditch Ford Inc. in Newport News, VA?

Yes indeed. Just couldn't establish the actual build date. I was told it was released from the plant 6/28, but there were a couple of different dates mentioned depending on the person to whom I talked. It also took over three weeks to get the stripes put on, some of that was the July Fourth two week plant closing.

While you're at it, what was the engine HP at the crank before it was installed? Who caused the scratches on the right rear rim (replaced under warrantee)?

3C

Yes indeed. Just couldn't establish the actual build date. I was told it was released from the plant 6/28, but there were a couple of different dates mentioned depending on the person to whom I talked. It also took over three weeks to get the stripes put on, some of that was the July Fourth two week plant closing.

While you're at it, what was the engine HP at the crank before it was installed? Who caused the scratches on the right rear rim (replaced under warrantee)?

3C

Build date was 6/27/06

Sale Date 7/21/06

Sale Mileage: 24

Warranty Start Date 7/21/06

Warranty Claim:

Customer Comments: On Delivery Found Air Dam Damage

Tech Comments: Verified Front Chin Spoiler Being Defective On Shipment Replaced With New Unit And Verified After Repair.

That is all that is showing on any warranty claims.

I don't have any info on Engine HP at the crank. just shows Engine Calibration Code: 7ZF2SC0A

Easy,

Build date 5/16/06

Sale date 7/31/06

There were 90 pre-pro cars.

bj

Build date was 6/27/06

Sale Date 7/21/06

Sale Mileage: 24

Warranty Start Date 7/21/06

Warranty Claim:

Customer Comments: On Delivery Found Air Dam Damage

Tech Comments: Verified Front Chin Spoiler Being Defective On Shipment Replaced With New Unit And Verified After Repair.

That is all that is showing on any warranty claims.

I don't have any info on Engine HP at the crank. just shows Engine Calibration Code: 7ZF2SC0A

Dude -

Thanks a lot. The air dam was replaced as well as the rim under warrantee. The mileage is correct as I recall. Just yanking your chain on the HP. My previous Cobras had the build date stamped on the radiator crossbrace portion of the body. Didn't see it on this car, so thanks for helping me.

There were 90 pre-pro cars.

bj

Yo vnmous1, how do you know, can you provide some background or sources. Also, how many verts, colors, etc.

I'm trying to figure out where mine was on the list. GO vert/tungston stripes/sirius 500/premium package.

Thanks.

Anyone had any black spots in their clearcoat? I've noticed several on mine in various places. Not very noticible unless you know where they are. Problem is that they don't come off with a wash.

Anyone got any clues???

I also have black specs under my clearcoat as well. My car is Red.

Build date 8-14-06

Archived