TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best handling Upgrades for the $?

I'm thinking about upgrading my FRPP shocks that came on all the Shelby GT's to begin with. They are okay, and ride very rough. So far I have upgraded my lower control arms to J&M billet aluminum LCA's and a giggs racing aluminum pan hard bar (which doesn't really do much but make the rear adjustable). What would be the best bang for the buck handling wise?

I am thinking about doing either Koni's or bilsteins. Koni's have gotten very good reviews the last few years. Just looking for some opinions.

My gut response is that it seems contradictory to want a softer ride AND better handling, but I'm not in the know about suspension upgrades... so i'm subscribing to learn!

for what it's worth, the griggs torque arm was what I THOUGHT was the golden ticket of upgrades on these cars... but i think they are out of business now...

One thought would be to go with adjustable shocks. Long ago I used to run Koni's. I put them on the softest setting for the street, then for autocrossing I stiffened them up. I really don't know what's available in that respect nowadays.

The other item that I read benefits handling is the Watts Link. So, another idea might be softer shocks plus Watts Link.

Check out the Tokico D-Specs... Lots of happy customers, from what I've seen.

BTW, if you have the stock brakes, do those first. The Shelby/Baer Extreme fronts and Eradispeed +2 rears made a HUGE difference when I tracked the car at the Bash.

And every time some dope jacks on his or her brakes on the highway.

At the Bash, my wife was in the car for a few laps and she said "I can see why you spent the money on brakes... everyone ELSE'S brake lights are ON a lot".

Jer

Check out the Tokico D-Specs... Lots of happy customers, from what I've seen.

BTW, if you have the stock brakes, do those first. The Shelby/Baer Extreme fronts and Eradispeed +2 rears made a HUGE difference when I tracked the car at the Bash.

And every time some dope jacks on his or her brakes on the highway.

At the Bash, my wife was in the car for a few laps and she said "I can see why you spent the money on brakes... everyone ELSE'S brake lights are ON a lot".

Jer

I WISH I could spend $3000 for the extreme kit, but for now, I am upgrading to GT500 Brembo take offs. They are substantially better than the stock brakes.

My gut response is that it seems contradictory to want a softer ride AND better handling, but I'm not in the know about suspension upgrades... so i'm subscribing to learn!

for what it's worth, the griggs torque arm was what I THOUGHT was the golden ticket of upgrades on these cars... but i think they are out of business now...

True, but the KR handles around turns just as good if not better than my SGT but seems to be not as harsh going over bumps on the road.

I WISH I could spend $3000 for the extreme kit, but for now, I am upgrading to GT500 Brembo take offs. They are substantially better than the stock brakes.

the 6P brakes are over rated and not needed on the SGT. save your $$$$ and either upgrade the rotors,pads and brake lines or go with a set of the GT500/Brembo's. we took a 08 Bullitt and upgrade the suspension to the FR3 with 1.5" lowering springs. BMR control arms, Fays Watts link, MM caster camber plates, MM bumpsteer kit ,steeda ball joints with 2010 SVT 18" wheels, 285/40 on the front and 305/40's on the rear, Brembo's on the front and new rotors,pads and brake lines for the rear. its's stiff ride but it tracks like it's on rails.

True, but the KR handles around turns just as good if not better than my SGT but seems to be not as harsh going over bumps on the road.

The KR wheel / tire combo would tend to ride softer than the 20 inchers that it appears you have; it might be a very noticeable difference due to that factor alone.

18" wheel tire combo will also handle better than the 20's due to capability for less unsprung weight and lower center of gravity. This is why, I imagine, 18's were chosen for the KR.

talk to Sam and think about getting some 18" wheels and tires

http://www.stranoparts.com/

:shift:

Sam helps me with my parts. He is very knowledgeable and honest. Just tell him your plans for your car and he'll point you in the right direction.

Griggs is not out of business at all! I have a GR40SS on order that is shipping in less than 2 weeks from now. they are in the process of moving to a new shop and their production is very slow right now as well as a waiting list of orders a mile long. (at least 8 weeks out) They hand make all their parts so they don't come off of an assembly line. They put a lot of time and care into what they do. If you want to order something from them, the best thing is to go through Van at Revan Racing. he is handling all their orders during their big move. Van is the only authorized Griggs Racing dealer besides the Griggs people themselves.

SGT1020: I would recommend talking to Van about your suspension. he has a lot of options and is pretty knowledgeable about it. If you have the $, going with a complete Griggs setup is an excellent option.

I'm thinking about upgrading my FRPP shocks that came on all the Shelby GT's to begin with. They are okay, and ride very rough. So far I have upgraded my lower control arms to J&M billet aluminum LCA's and a giggs racing aluminum pan hard bar (which doesn't really do much but make the rear adjustable). What would be the best bang for the buck handling wise?

I am thinking about doing either Koni's or bilsteins. Koni's have gotten very good reviews the last few years. Just looking for some opinions.

Everyone will have an opinion and I've driven every kind of Mustang all with different setups and from my experience its never a good idea to mix and match parts. Find a setup that is affordable for you and go with it. On an everyday driver 2006 GT I used Eibach's Pro-kit plus with Eibach dampers and car handles great even better than my Shelby

Weird, one source said Griggs was done and another posted links to them filing bankruptcy... Glad to hear they are still kicking if that's whats up with them!

+1. Griggs has awesome stuff! When I can afford the GR40ST setup I will go for it!

Archived