TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake flushing (bleeding)

08svt

I have a 08 GT 500 with stock brakes front and rear. I have many open track days on the brakes and wanted to flush out of the fluid with new. Any special procedure that I should be following? I know with the ABS and trac control I dont want to have any issues. Thanks in advance

I don't believe that there are any special procedures. I did want to add here, however, a question as to whether or not you have considered Speed Bleeders? I installed them on my Shelby GT, and if you do a lot of bleeding, they are handy!

http://www.speedbleeder.com/main.htm

Yes there is a different procedure if you have a GT500 or any other car with the Brembo brakes. They have dual bleeders- bleed the inboard first, outboard then inboard again. That is the only difference. Do not let the reservoir run empty when you pump the brakes to bleed the fluid. otherwise it will be necessary to visit the dealer to remove the air from the ABS system. Make sure you use a good Dot 4 high performance brake fluid if you are tracking the car.

Will a vacuum bleeder be ok to use? Also the dot.3 in there now has been problem free. Do you think 4 is necessary.

As you said you will be having many track days, no, Dot 3 will boil and leave you with no brakes during continuous heavy use on a racetrack. I've seen it happen. Go with DOT4 high-performance racing fluid. The brake fluid is cheaper than risking possible injury and getting your car damaged. If you need a recommendation for it, see my signature.

Edit: I've haven't used a vacuum bleeder so I can't advise you on that. I had my helper depress the brake pedal for me.

Archived