TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Functional Super Snake Hood?

There is a TS member on here that has one of the first Snakes once they started production in 2006-07 with the functional hood and did a test run on his car at high speeds and the car stalled twice. I think I remember in the comments section on his youtube video that he or someone else said that because of the hood and speed. the car was taking in too much air causing the vehicle to stall. It also says something about the speed limiter causing the car to stall, but I think speed limiters usually only cut the throttle and not shut the entire engine down causing it to stall. Imagine that were to happen in Germany on the autobahn or nurburgring? That would be an ugly site to see.

here's the video, however I suggest that you not try and play where's waldo to look for that comment because there are so many comments on this video.

If they just decided to block it off, +1000, not a really good solution. I was thinking more along the lines of bigger CAI and redesign the hood to cope with all that air.

We might as well drive the car without a hood and just have the engine bay exposed if this continues to be an issue. At least we will fit in with all the hod rods and T-Buckets if that's the choice except without the 4 side straight pipes on each side. :hysterical:

There have been at least two revisions for the issue that you mention above. This isssue was resolved by the baffle (fix) on the first design of the Super Snake hood and the next revisions had the "fix" incorperated into their design.

If I remember correctly the first design Super Snake hood had an opening much like the opening shown on the bottom side of the Tru-Fiber hood that you pictured above...........too much air. After that, through further testing, it was found that a smaller opening or a few smaller holes worked much better.

At about the 2:18 point in the video below, the "fix" (baffle) is shown, I believe. It is that black plate on the bottom side of the white hood over the CAI area. Same car, same owner.

R

I only half remember but Shelby did mention something about the 2011 stalling with the functional scoop - that would have been with the smaller blowers as they didn't have the 3.6kb's running when I was there, not sure if that would have any effect on the problem they discovered.

They said the easy fix was the block off the scoop. Didn't seem like much of a solution to me.

There is scoops everywhere on this thing and most of them are fake! I didn't get the rear window scoops on purpose, I don't know why they didn't make the rear scoops work for brake cooling or a diff cooler - could have used them for something...

Anyway I'm not a fan of fake stuff which was the reason for the enquiry. Doesn't look like anyone else has had a crack at it yet though.

I don't remember any discussion of stalling on the 2011, and if it were an issue, I would think it would have been identified on the 2010's. I only remember the first of the Super Snakes having this issue, 2007 and possibly some early 2008's. If there is no plenum on the 2010/11 Super Snake hood, there is no path for air to travel to the CAI for stalling. I would still like to see good pictures of the 2010 and 2011 hoods to verify "no plenum".

I'm changing to the 1/4 window block-offs on Saturday. A body shop friend of mine and I are going to see what it takes to do the switch, hopefully without damaging anything. I think the scoops were added to the build for a "Shelby look" from the old days. I mean really, what Shelby's didn't have upper and lower side scoops? Well, I know, the GT350R had the upper block-offs. And I know, back then the upper and lower scoops were fully functional, and the GT350R block-offs? they reduced weight of the cars ventilation system and any wind drag from scoops hanging out.

It seems like it was easier/cheaper to do the rear brake cooling ducts that were installed on the lower control arms instead of cutting a large hole in the front outer portion of each 1/4 panel, then running a hose into the passenger compartment behind the rear interior panels, and then also cutting holes in the rear inner fender wells to duct the air to the rear brackes as was done on the original cars. The scoops are more of a look.

R

There have been at least two revisions for the issue that you mention above. This isssue was resolved by the baffle (fix) on the first design of the Super Snake hood and the next revisions had the "fix" incorperated into their design.

If I remember correctly the first design Super Snake hood had an opening much like the opening shown on the bottom side of the Tru-Fiber hood that you pictured above...........too much air. After that, through further testing, it was found that a smaller opening or a few smaller holes worked much better.

At about the 2:18 point in the video below, the "fix" (baffle) is shown, I believe. It is that black plate on the bottom side of the white hood over the CAI area. Same car, same owner.

R

I do remember that video from a while ago and that baffle in the hood. I actually went and looked at that video after this thread was started. Defiantly helped a lot for sure. I don't know why Shelby didn't move that idea over for the 2010+ SS hood. It probably would've still worked with the baffle in it.

Hope this helps. This was Shelbys fix on the first couple of hoods. It really didn't fix any thing. But you get use to driving it and its temperment. Still the Best car I've ever driven.

post-4709-0-79373200-1308621450_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-79373200-1308621450_thumb.jpg

I don't know why Shelby didn't move that idea over for the 2010+ SS hood. It probably would've still worked with the baffle in it.

If there is no room for a plenum behind the scoops, there is no need for a baffle over the CAI.

I would still like to examine some closer pictures of the bottom side 2010/2011 Super Snake hood.

R

Hope this helps. This was Shelbys fix on the first couple of hoods. It really didn't fix any thing. But you get use to driving it and its temperment. Still the Best car I've ever driven.

I see quite a difference in air flow in your hood with the "fix" (6 holes) and my later production hood (shown in post #10) with only 4 holes, less air flow.

R

I see quite a difference in air flow in your hood with the "fix" (6 holes) and my later production hood (shown in post #10) with only 4 holes, less air flow.

R

I've been watching this with interest, even before this thread. I'm certainly not an expert but its been known for quite some time that despite appearances, forward facing scoops in this area ARE NOT the best place for cold air intake. Even back then, most tuners knew that the high pressure area at the bottom of the windshield worked better for bringing in cold air. I believe I read somewhere that it was even pointed out to Shelby back when they were designing the Mustangs. Besides the air intake issues, the resulting drag creates more problems. A functional air intake could easily have been included in the SS hood but seems no one wanted to do that or knew any better.

I, too, am in the no interest for non-functional pieces BUT, the 60s GT500s were the icon badass vehicle for me. I loved all the scoops hanging off of the Mustang body. I ordered my SS with them all due to that. I wish we had the option at least, of making them functional. I read of a few guys who own/owned originals, that the rear wheel scoops were a PITA due to debris collection. It would be nice if the 1/4 window scoops could be made functional to replace the rear brake scoops under the car.

If there is no room for a plenum behind the scoops, there is no need for a baffle over the CAI.

I would still like to examine some closer pictures of the bottom side 2010/2011 Super Snake hood.

R

+1, I would really like to see some really good underside pictures of the 2010-11 SS hood

R

Here's what JAS427 told me regarding the hood on his car.

My hood was built with the hood scoop plenum completely open over the air filter. After testing Shelby found the car would surge driving down the road due to the heavy flow of incoming air disturbing the map sensor. Shelby decided to close it off and cut a few holes in it. It still surges at speeds over 70 mph. This is also the reason it stalls at the end of a run. To prevent this you need to close the throttle and count to 3 then throw in the clutch. I've learned to live with it and I really don't even notice it any more. If you look at the new hood the opening is part of the cast hood with just a couple holes in it.

I have a better idea to fix this; (if there's room) why doesn't Shelby just cut openings into the hood scoop, have no plenum leading to the CAI (we'll let the intake in the grill do that job) and just have an open hood and let the air that comes in through the scoop "fan" the engine. This settles both parties and possibly doesn't cause problems for the map sensor as well as not just be for looks, but also help with functionality and also maybe help with drag a bit. I don't know about the drag, but I would still do it. Just a suggestion.

I've been watching this with interest, even before this thread. I'm certainly not an expert but its been known for quite some time that despite appearances, forward facing scoops in this area ARE NOT the best place for cold air intake. Even back then, most tuners knew that the high pressure area at the bottom of the windshield worked better for bringing in cold air. I believe I read somewhere that it was even pointed out to Shelby back when they were designing the Mustangs. Besides the air intake issues, the resulting drag creates more problems. A functional air intake could easily have been included in the SS hood but seems no one wanted to do that or knew any better.

I, too, am in the no interest for non-functional pieces BUT, the 60s GT500s were the icon badass vehicle for me. I loved all the scoops hanging off of the Mustang body. I ordered my SS with them all due to that. I wish we had the option at least, of making them functional. I read of a few guys who own/owned originals, that the rear wheel scoops were a PITA due to debris collection. It would be nice if the 1/4 window scoops could be made functional to replace the rear brake scoops under the car.

I agree with that, but I believe it is low pressure at the base of the windshield, all air flow (high pressure) would be hitting the windshield and traveling over the vehicle. At the base of the windshield would be lower pressure/less turbulent air. I think this is right, isn't it? I had to think way back on this, maybe I am wrong............

In a blower situation, the air is forced which introduces something that was not common on any muscle cars from the 60's and Shelby's? I can think of the optional Paxton for the GT350.

The laughable thing is CAI (Cold Air Induction) being refered to when some one installs a open air filter/cone on their car. Unless the air is coming from somewhere outside of the hot engine compartment, there isn't much "CAI" to many of the installs.

The main reason why I went with scoops vs. plates was the initial cost back then, $190 (plus paint work) now $209 plus paint work for upper side scoops vs. $84.95 back then (now $89.95) for the block-off plates. This was the cost difference through SPP. I decided to let SAI match the paint. Now that I am ready to do the plates as I originally wanted, and I will have both options for my car.

As for making the 1/4 window scoops function for brake cooling.............I would rather duct air to the rear brakes from the lower scoops behind the doors as was the case with the original cars, the scoops on the 1/4 windows were for passenger compartment ventalation, something which is not really needed in an A/C world.

R

+1, I would really like to see some really good underside pictures of the 2010-11 SS hood

Here's what JAS427 told me regarding the hood on his car.

I have a better idea to fix this; (if there's room) why doesn't Shelby just cut openings into the hood scoop, have no plenum leading to the CAI (we'll let the intake in the grill do that job) and just have an open hood and let the air that comes in through the scoop "fan" the engine. This settles both parties and possibly doesn't cause problems for the map sensor as well as not just be for looks, but also help with functionality and also maybe help with drag a bit. I don't know about the drag, but I would still do it. Just a suggestion.

After a few car washes, or even getting caught in a rain storm, every piece of un-protected/un-painted metal. steel and alum. would quickly deteriorate and you would have a mess on your hands. I would not want to open my engine compartment to the chance of forced water, and then yes, the electronics laying in water on the intake................

R

After a few car washes, or even getting caught in a rain storm, every piece of un-protected/un-painted metal. steel and alum. would quickly deteriorate and you would have a mess on your hands. I would not want to open my engine compartment to the chance of forced water, and then yes, the electronics laying in water on the intake................

R

Hey, at least I tried. I'm running out of ideas. I just don't like seeing something that looks functional and find out it isn't. It's like the shaker hood on the 2003-04 Mach 1 or the hood scoop on the SGT (which I would find a way to make that functional for sure!) My only suggestion now is to keep the GT500 hood on or put the hood from the GT/SC or the Shelby GTS on.

Hey, at least I tried. I'm running out of ideas. I just don't like seeing something that looks functional and find out it isn't. It's like the shaker hood on the 2003-04 Mach 1 or the hood scoop on the SGT (which I would find a way to make that functional for sure!) My only suggestion now is to keep the GT500 hood on or put the hood from the GT/SC or the Shelby GTS on.

Are you talking about the stock looking hood with the small scoop attached to the center from a GT or GT/SC? or the fiberglass C6 hood like is installed on the GT-H? The GT-H hood is Very Cool!!

I know what you are saying about "looks functional" but not.

Doesn't the shaker on the 2003/04 Mach1 direct air to the intake? I was pretty sure it did............

R

Are you talking about the stock looking hood with the small scoop attached to the center from a GT or GT/SC? or the fiberglass C6 hood like is installed on the GT-H? The GT-H hood is Very Cool!!

I know what you are saying about "looks functional" but not.

Doesn't the shaker on the 2003/04 Mach1 direct air to the intake? I was pretty sure it did............

R

:yup: That small scoop. That's just a decoration

as of for the Mach 1......................

2004_Mach1_engine.jpg

engine.jpg

I even looked on other forums because I was wondering if the shaker hoods were fully functional and my dad told me it gave the car 20 more horses under the hood and they said it isn't or hardly is functional. Even with a CDC (Classic Design Creations) Shaker hood.

Linky to proof

There are also similar answers out there that say the same thing: the shaker hood hardly works or power from it is minimal. This is just one example.

But who will convince the engineers and designers at Shelby? :finger: Raise your hands..!!!

2004_Mach1_engine.jpg

engine.jpg

I even looked on other forums because I was wondering if the shaker hoods were fully functional and my dad told me it gave the car 20 more horses under the hood and they said it isn't or hardly is functional. Even with a CDC (Classic Design Creations) Shaker hood.

Linky to proof

There are also similar answers out there that say the same thing: the shaker hood hardly works or power from it is minimal. This is just one example.

I agree that the 03/04 Mach1 shaker may only give minimal gains (if any), but it is functional. It may be the same for the Super Snake, the cars that draw air in through the hood may produce the same power levels as the 2010-up with grill draw through. If this is the case, the open/functional front is in the same situation as the Mach1, it functions but not to any significant gains over just a "look".

R

Here are links to hood shots showing 1) the underside of my 2008 hood and my 150 mph modification, 2) the workaround that Kenne Bell sent me sitting on the air cleaner, and 3) a shot through the hood scoop showing the 150 mph modification.

1) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010001.jpg

2) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010002.jpg and

3) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010003.jpg

The issue on my car is slow speeds - the car has hiccups at slow speed without the rag. The metal screen is just objectionable and does not work to cure the problem all that well. The problem is all of that air from the functional scoop goes through the air cleaner and sends the MAF into spasms - hence the hiccups. So I just leave the rag in until I get to a car show. :shrug:

Here are links to hood shots showing 1) the underside of my 2008 hood and my 150 mph modification, 2) the workaround that Kenne Bell sent me sitting on the air cleaner, and 3) a shot through the hood scoop showing the 150 mph modification.

1) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010001.jpg

2) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010002.jpg and

3) http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Hood/?action=view&current=P1010003.jpg

The issue on my car is slow speeds - the car has hiccups at slow speed without the rag. The metal screen is just objectionable and does not work to cure the problem all that well. The problem is all of that air from the functional scoop goes through the air cleaner and sends the MAF into spasms - hence the hiccups. So I just leave the rag in until I get to a car show. :shrug:

Wow!! I have no issues like that with my 2008. The only time I had issues was before I regapped the plugs to the KB recommended specs. Before that, the plugs were gapped at .020-.022 and it would display odd syptoms at lower speeds and when it was cold. Once I gapped the plugs properly, I have had no issues.

R

2004_Mach1_engine.jpg

engine.jpg

Linky to proof

Bah! Don't try to minimize my love for the 'stangs... I think they're actually interfering with the car's performance,by trying to improvise the looks.Therefore,I don't think they'll be improving on the other aspects of performances other than the hp itself (and/or the looks,obviously).

HELL!! GOD,PLEASE GRANT THEM THE SACRED KNOWLEDGE OF TEAMING UP LIKE IDEAL DESIGNERS AND ENGINEERS... :rant:

I agree that the 03/04 Mach1 shaker may only give minimal gains (if any), but it is functional. It may be the same for the Super Snake, the cars that draw air in through the hood may produce the same power levels as the 2010-up with grill draw through. If this is the case, the open/functional front is in the same situation as the Mach1, it functions but not to any significant gains over just a "look".

R

Hey, at least it is better than NOTHING right?

Bah! Don't try to minimize my love for the 'stangs... I think they're actually interfering with the car's performance,by trying to improvise the looks.Therefore,I don't think they'll be improving on the other aspects of performances other than the hp itself (and/or the looks,obviously).

HELL!! GOD,PLEASE GRANT THEM THE SACRED KNOWLEDGE OF TEAMING UP LIKE IDEAL DESIGNERS AND ENGINEERS... :rant:

Amen brotha! AMEN!

^Just as my d*ck right now (P.S.: I'm looking at a white 2011 vert Snake pic) :burnout:

BTW,there's nothing wrong with the exterior design.Just some minor changes in the hood will do,but otherwise or,performancewise,engineers need to take care of those major "non-functional hoods and vents" flaw(s).

^Just as my d*ck right now (P.S.: I'm looking at a white 2011 vert Snake pic) :burnout:

BTW,there's nothing wrong with the exterior design.Just some minor changes in the hood will do,but otherwise or,performancewise,engineers need to take care of those major "non-functional hoods and vents" flaw(s).

a big +1000 to that

Archived