TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Functional Super Snake Hood?

:blink: WHAT? Those aren't functional? I see the vents in place and the supercharger under the hood.Then it must be functional... :headscratch:

Do you own one?

Last I remember, this is the 2010-up Super Snake ram air set-up, first two pictures.........................

Note the housing around the open filter with the hose leading toward the radiator core support. As far as I know, this set-up uses a non-functional hood and intake air enters the hose behind the grill/headlights.

These pictures are from the Shelby Annual Magazine.

002-4.jpg

0032.jpg

Now compare the 2007-2009 Super Snake with functional ram air hood. Yes there is a heat shield at the rear of the open filter, but no hose forward toward the grill. All intake air comes throug the hood and into the filter.

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

Unless something has changed in the Super Snake production, the 2010-2011's feed air through the grill, not the hood

I shouldn't say that the 2010-up hood is non-functional, it does extract heat.

R

I say that the hood scoops are used to help cool off the engine along with the vents. With the additional power, the Super Snake's engine I guarantee is going to be running a lot hotter and needs the extra air and ventilation and not just the cold air intake.

:blink: WHAT? Those aren't functional? I see the vents in place and the supercharger under the hood.Then it must be functional... :headscratch:

Do you own one?

I have a 2011 - I'm referring to the bonnet scoop. It appears to be all blocked off?

Last I remember, this is the 2010-up Super Snake ram air set-up, first two pictures.........................

Note the housing around the open filter with the hose leading toward the radiator core support. As far as I know, this set-up uses a non-functional hood and intake air enters the hose behind the grill/headlights.

These pictures are from the Shelby Annual Magazine.

002-4.jpg

0032.jpg

Now compare the 2007-2009 Super Snake with functional ram air hood. Yes there is a heat shield at the rear of the open filter, but no hose forward toward the grill. All intake air comes throug the hood and into the filter.

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

Unless something has changed in the Super Snake production, the 2010-2011's feed air through the grill, not the hood

I shouldn't say that the 2010-up hood is non-functional, it does extract heat.

R

Robert has a point,there.With the proofs provided by him and jacks071,I think its a matter to ponder that '07-'09 models actually used the hood vents .But I still can't get it that why the '10-'11 lack this functionality :confused:.

Can someone explain the possible reasons to me?

Robert has a point,there.With the proofs provided by him and jacks071,I think its a matter to ponder that '07-'09 models actually used the hood vents .But I still can't get it that why the '10-'11 lack this functionality :confused:.

Can someone explain the possible reasons to me?

There were some issues with the earliest of the functional Super Snake ram air hoods in the 2007-2008 time period. There were some hood revisions also. Added to that, unlike the KR hood, there is not extensive ducting for rain water etc. on the Super Snake. I believe that to eliminate issues but still keep the Super Snake hood and look, it was decided to not use a non-functional ram air hood.

It was also mentioned in this thread that the 2010-2011 may be fully functional, but for heat extraction only, large openings at the front for heat extraction would also mean large amounts of water being driven into the engine compartment if someone were to be caught in a rain storm.

R

Can a 2007-09 and a 2010-11 super snake owner supply close up pictures of inside the scoop and the heat extractors?

2007-2009 Super Snake hood.........................

0013.jpg

0022.jpg

0033.jpg

I would like to see the underside of the 2010-up Super Snake hood also.

R

Can you also see through the front scoop on the nose of the hood to see if it has been blocked off and air can't get in or is it functional on the nose as well? See if it's functional in the front scoops too to put it in English

+1, we need to also need to see a 2010-11 scoop.

Can you also see through the front scoop on the nose of the hood to see if it has been blocked off and air can't get in or is it functional on the nose as well? See if it's functional in the front scoops too to put it in English

+1, we need to also need to see a 2010-11 scoop.

We will need a 2010/11 Super Snake owner to verify what they see inside the hood opening and then how the front/underside is formed. Mine goes back into the plenum area in the frontal portion of the underhood, and then the incoming air is diverted to the left over the CAI filter. If this same plenum area is in the 2010/11 hood, it may be able to be opened up over the CAI filter. If there is no plenum and associated air flow path to the area over the air filter, it is just for looks.

The four holes shown on the underside front/left is where the incoming ram air exits the hood to my filter. Do the 2010/11 hoods have these same plenum features and just need holes to be drilled?

R

We will need a 2010/11 Super Snake owner to verify what they see inside the hood opening and then how the front/underside is formed. Mine goes back into the plenum area in the frontal portion of the underhood, and then the incoming air is diverted to the left over the CAI filter. If this same plenum area is in the 2010/11 hood, it may be able to be opened up over the CAI filter. If there is no plenum and associated air flow path to the area over the air filter, it is just for looks.

The four holes shown on the underside front/left is where the incoming ram air exits the hood to my filter. Do the 2010/11 hoods have these same plenum features and just need holes to be drilled?

R

P1030637.jpeg

I'm not with my car at the moment as its having the steering wheel moved to the right side but this is the best pic I have.

P1030637.jpeg

post-30190-0-82192300-1308284971_thumb.jpeg

I'm not with my car at the moment as its having the steering wheel moved to the right side but this is the best pic I have.

It appears (but I am not sure), that there is no plenum in the 2010-up Super Snake hood. If this is true, there is no path for the incoming air to be ducted to the CAI. I would need to see better/closer pictures to verify.

Your Super Snake looks Great!!

R

post-30190-0-82192300-1308284971_thumb.jpeg

Its same as a '07/'08 model.I don't see a difference.Vents aren't functional but the hood scoops are of some use.Anyone agrees? :redcard:

Its same as a '07/'08 model.I don't see a difference.Vents aren't functional but the hood scoops are of some use.Anyone agrees? :redcard:

Look at the area behind the hood latch on the bottom side of the 2011 hood, I don't see the duct area where the air would flow. I also don't see the area where mine has holes drilled for the air ro enter the air filter. All of this is part of the internal ram air plenum. It may just be the angle of the pictures also, that is why I will need closer pictures of this area.

R

Maybe because if the scoops were to be functional, it would draw too much air to the CAI thus more air than gas in the engine at it would cause the car to stall?

Here's what I would do if I were to get a Super Snake. It sound crazy and a custom fabrication, but bare with me on this.

I'd make the SS hood scoop (not the heat extractors on the top of the hood.) fully functional. Left side (if you were to sit in the car): make a custom plenum to draw it to the CAI for more air (if the car isn't stalling that is) and also make an additional dicider direct excess air just to the engine for cooling and then just make a functional scoop for the right side. Or just do the same thing for the left side instead of directing it to the plenum.

Than right behind the radiator before the engine (if there's clearence and it's behind the hood scoop), add a special retractable block-off to prevent air from coming in at lower speeds detecting it with a special sensor (kinda like the 2012 focus shutter grille and a mercedes SLS retractable wing all in one) . Maybe add a special moisture/rain detector and thermometer so it could keep scoop blocked off if too much rain is detected or retract if the engine is getting too hot. Or worse comes to worse, make the custom block-off in the hood work some way like an old car scoop butterfly valve except it's specially designed for a super snake hood. Get with what I am going with here? and install they system when the car is Getting Snaked. Could find a way so it could work on the 2007-09s too.

It sounds like 2020 technology, but it could be possible with the right tools and wiring. Then that could satisfy this hood functionality thing.

just my two cents.

Maybe because if the scoops were to be functional, it would draw too much air to the CAI thus more air than gas in the engine at it would cause the car to stall?

Here's what I would do if I were to get a Super Snake. It sound crazy and a custom fabrication, but bare with me on this.

I'd make the SS hood scoop (not the heat extractors on the top of the hood.) fully functional. Left side (if you were to sit in the car): make a custom plenum to draw it to the CAI for more air (if the car isn't stalling that is) and also make an additional dicider direct excess air just to the engine for cooling and then just make a functional scoop for the right side. Or just do the same thing for the left side instead of directing it to the plenum.

Than right behind the radiator before the engine (if there's clearence and it's behind the hood scoop), add a special retractable block-off to prevent air from coming in at lower speeds detecting it with a special sensor (kinda like the 2012 focus shutter grille and a mercedes SLS retractable wing all in one) . Maybe add a special moisture/rain detector and thermometer so it could keep scoop blocked off if too much rain is detected or retract if the engine is getting too hot. Or worse comes to worse, make the custom block-off in the hood work some way like an old car scoop butterfly valve except it's specially designed for a super snake hood. Get with what I am going with here? and install they system when the car is Getting Snaked. Could find a way so it could work on the 2007-09s too.

It sounds like 2020 technology, but it could be possible with the right tools and wiring. Then that could satisfy this hood functionality thing.

just my two cents.

or also add some sort of a grille like the geiger gt640 (look inside the scoop). I bet you it's has the same top speed as a Snake and that hood works fine too. Or also add a trufiber ram-air SS hood.

I just like functionality and not just for looks.

Unless that's blocked of too.

2011-GeigerCars-Mustang-GT640-014-1600.jpg

just my two cents.

The one concern that may be an issue with fabricating a plenum is space. Since the 2010-up hood seems to have more of a slope than the 2007-2009, there may be no room between the s/c and the hood for the thickness of a plenum. This may be why an alternate air path is used through the grill/rad. core support?

Just a thought...............

Here's a Trufiber with the ram air kit. Just need to make one curved and all like the 2010+ SS hoods and problem solved. You get air from the grill AND the hood. Now all we have to do is have Shelby make one like this Maybe have the right one (viewpoint from driver's seat) just fan off the engine. instead of being Ram air

What do you think?

TF10025-A53-8.jpg

Here's a Trufiber with the ram air kit. Just need to make one curved and all like the 2010+ SS hoods and problem solved. You get air from the grill AND the hood. Now all we have to do is have Shelby make one like this Maybe have the right one (viewpoint from driver's seat) just fan off the engine. instead of being Ram air

What do you think?

TF10025-A53-8.jpg

I got your PM's.

If the air opening on the bottom side were to be repositioned closer to the front, that hood would probably work. I also see that the plenum work on the under side of that hood is all on the drivers side. That may work with a Mustang GT as shown, but it is a very busy area on a GT500. That whole plenum area may need to be cut out and redone?

Is that hood available for a GT500 facia?

R

I got your PM's.

If the air opening on the bottom side were to be repositioned closer to the front, that hood would probably work. I also see that the plenum work on the under side of that hood is all on the drivers side. That may work with a Mustang GT as shown, but it is a very busy area on a GT500. That whole plenum area may need to be cut out and redone?

Is that hood available for a GT500 facia?

R

I believe that it only fits the GT model only

This is an image of the hood on the car with the hood closed. Looks more like a 2007-09 Super Snake hood. That's why I say it needs to be based off of the look of the 2010-11 Super Snake hood.

Venom%20hood%202010%20Mustang.jpg

Agreed,sires.But if they offer this improvement package along with the SS,they're definitely going to increase the costs which is $99k already. :hysterical::confused::rant2::banghead:

Also its amazing to see that a GT has a functional hood but an SS doesn't. :hysterical: Plus,the space would be a 100% problem.Robert,what will be the estimated cost if we fix it all by ourselves,as you've stated,eh?

Agreed,sires.But if they offer this improvement package along with the SS,they're definitely going to increase the costs which is $99k already. :hysterical::confused::rant2::banghead:

Also its amazing to see that a GT has a functional hood but an SS doesn't. :hysterical: Plus,the space would be a 100% problem.Robert,what will be the estimated cost if we fix it all by ourselves,as you've stated,eh?

If there is not enough room, there is no cost to discuss, it won't work without a taller hood. The problem I see is that there is a whole lot of stuff packed into a small area to start with and the drivers side (air intake) of the Super Charger is full, then came a body redesign which closed that area even more. In the front, the Mustang GT doesn't have a tall solid object like a S/C sticking up, it has a molded hose on the front of the intake in this area that Ford could change easliy to accomodate the sloped hood, and the GT intake itself is not as tall as even the OEM GT500 S/C as far as I know, and we are not even talking about a taller aftermarket S/C.

If there were to be a possible option, it would be to use the area where the hood latch/catch is located as the plenum, and even with that some sealing work would need to be done around the hood catch. Open this area to the scooped area of the hood, and then add some sort of ducting over the CAI. There may be support structure in the front area of the hood that would not allow air to flow? I would not compromise the structure of the hood for ram air flow if the car is already set up to receive outside air through the grill.

The real question is.................how much "real" space is there to work with under this Super Snake hood. Another thing to think about, a Strut Tower Brace? As far as I know, there is no STB offered for the 2010/11 Super Snake, there is for the 2007-09 but not the 2010-up, again, above the S/C "may" be the issue.

I haven't seen a closer picture of the under side of this hood to study it. I may be missing something. If I remember correctly there have been others on this forum who have said all of the ram air plenum is molded on the bottom side of the 2010-up hood, and this area just needs to be opened up to the CAI. They said the have personally seen it. Since I have not seen it, I could be wrong, all ducting might be there, but I can't tell from the one picture we currently have to study.

On a positive side, at least the 3.6LC fits under the 2010-up hood. <<It is 5/8" taller than the 2.8H. With the 3.6LC, I'll bet things get really tight under the newer body Super Snakes.

R

If there is not enough room, there is no cost to discuss, it won't work without a taller hood. The problem I see is that there is a whole lot of stuff packed into a small area to start with and the drivers side (air intake) of the Super Charger is full, then came a body redesign which closed that area even more. In the front, the Mustang GT doesn't have a tall solid object like a S/C sticking up, it has a molded hose on the front of the intake in this area that Ford could change easliy to accomodate the sloped hood, and the GT intake itself is not as tall as even the OEM GT500 S/C as far as I know, and we are not even talking about a taller aftermarket S/C.

If there were to be a possible option, it would be to use the area where the hood latch/catch is located as the plenum, and even with that some sealing work would need to be done around the hood catch. Open this area to the scooped area of the hood, and then add some sort of ducting over the CAI. There may be support structure in the front area of the hood that would not allow air to flow? I would not compromise the structure of the hood for ram air flow if the car is already set up to receive outside air through the grill.

The real question is.................how much "real" space is there to work with under this Super Snake hood. Another thing to think about, a Strut Tower Brace? As far as I know, there is no STB offered for the 2010/11 Super Snake, there is for the 2007-09 but not the 2010-up, again, above the S/C "may" be the issue.

I haven't seen a closer picture of the under side of this hood to study it. I may be missing something. If I remember correctly there have been others on this forum who have said all of the ram air plenum is molded on the bottom side of the 2010-up hood, and this area just needs to be opened up to the CAI. They said the have personally seen it. Since I have not seen it, I could be wrong, all ducting might be there, but I can't tell from the one picture we currently have to study.

On a positive side, at least the 3.6LC fits under the 2010-up hood. <<It is 5/8" taller than the 2.8H. With the 3.6LC, I'll bet things get really tight under the newer body Super Snakes.

R

May I suggest then that they make the SS hood a bit taller? As long at it doesn't interfere with visability issues, this may also be another solution dealing with the fabricating the ram air, or like you said and open up the scooped area around the hood. Even though it has the intake in the grill, I still think it should go through the hood as well especially with the scoop looking like it's a performance feature on the car and people will assume it is fully functional. Who knows, maybe you will also get a bit more power out of it with more cold air going into the intake. as well as keep the engine cool overall.

or Shelby could just replace the regular SS hood the trufiber hood as part of the package and keep the price the same. It depends on how much a legitimate Super Snake hood costs in comparison with a trufiber hood.

just my two cents.

I only half remember but Shelby did mention something about the 2011 stalling with the functional scoop - that would have been with the smaller blowers as they didn't have the 3.6kb's running when I was there, not sure if that would have any effect on the problem they discovered.

They said the easy fix was the block off the scoop. Didn't seem like much of a solution to me.

There is scoops everywhere on this thing and most of them are fake! I didn't get the rear window scoops on purpose, I don't know why they didn't make the rear scoops work for brake cooling or a diff cooler - could have used them for something...

Anyway I'm not a fan of fake stuff which was the reason for the enquiry. Doesn't look like anyone else has had a crack at it yet though.

I only half remember but Shelby did mention something about the 2011 stalling with the functional scoop - that would have been with the smaller blowers as they didn't have the 3.6kb's running when I was there, not sure if that would have any effect on the problem they discovered.

They said the easy fix was the block off the scoop. Didn't seem like much of a solution to me.

There is scoops everywhere on this thing and most of them are fake! I didn't get the rear window scoops on purpose, I don't know why they didn't make the rear scoops work for brake cooling or a diff cooler - could have used them for something...

Anyway I'm not a fan of fake stuff which was the reason for the enquiry. Doesn't look like anyone else has had a crack at it yet though.

+1..............if it's not functional, leave it off.

Well that's my .02 anyway.

There is a TS member on here that has one of the first Snakes once they started production in 2006-07 with the functional hood and did a test run on his car at high speeds and the car stalled twice. I think I remember in the comments section on his youtube video that he or someone else said that because of the hood and speed. the car was taking in too much air causing the vehicle to stall. It also says something about the speed limiter causing the car to stall, but I think speed limiters usually only cut the throttle and not shut the entire engine down causing it to stall. Imagine that were to happen in Germany on the autobahn or nurburgring? That would be an ugly site to see.

here's the video, however I suggest that you not try and play where's waldo to look for that comment because there are so many comments on this video.

If they just decided to block it off, +1000, not a really good solution. I was thinking more along the lines of bigger CAI and redesign the hood to cope with all that air.

We might as well drive the car without a hood and just have the engine bay exposed if this continues to be an issue. At least we will fit in with all the hod rods and T-Buckets if that's the choice except without the 4 side straight pipes on each side. :hysterical:

Archived