TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chin Spoiler scrape solution

My GT-C came with a couple of real good chin spoiler scrapes but I wanted to get some experience with driving it before having it repainted. During that time I've put another one on it. I've learned a few places to stay away from in town but there's always a new one to surprise me. The body shop said they can fix me up for $100 and respray both sides right below the crease, which is fine, but I'm sure I'll scrape it again within a couple of months.

So, I'm wondering if there are any solutions to solve this like a replaceable skid plate of some sort. I've seen some thick skid plates on Vipers. They look real pricey and possibly carbon fiber. It would be cool if we could buy a curved piece that fit perfectly over the left and right side in that area that gets scraped then just replace as necessary. I'm wondering if a clear or painted vacuum formed piece would do the trick.

Any thoughts?

post-32680-0-05288400-1308100616_thumb.jpg

post-32680-0-05288400-1308100616_thumb.jpg

My GT-C came with a couple of real good chin spoiler scrapes but I wanted to get some experience with driving it before having it repainted. During that time I've put another one on it. I've learned a few places to stay away from in town but there's always a new one to surprise me. The body shop said they can fix me up for $100 and respray both sides right below the crease, which is fine, but I'm sure I'll scrape it again within a couple of months.

So, I'm wondering if there are any solutions to solve this like a replaceable skid plate of some sort. I've seen some thick skid plates on Vipers. They look real pricey and possibly carbon fiber. It would be cool if we could buy a curved piece that fit perfectly over the left and right side in that area that gets scraped then just replace as necessary. I'm wondering if a clear or painted vacuum formed piece would do the trick.

Any thoughts?

I scrape mine all the time and I use a either rustoleum or dupli-color touch up spray but have never seen any in your color. Half of the 100.00 is the paint so if you get it done make sure you get the left over paint. The GT500 splitter that everyone is putting on the front of their cars will give some protect unless you hit something that tears it off. I suggest be more cautious driving.

Good luck

I've been lucky so far (knock on wood) I haven't scraped mine yet, I make sure I hit everything at an angle so this dosen't happen.

Umm, I don't know what a splitter is.

There are plenty of places in my town where going in at an angle still scrapes.

Just to clarify, the scrapes are not from running into curbs or pulling too far into parking places, they are from going through drainage dips at the entrance of retail places. The scrapes are not on the center section of the bumper, but only on the sides. I always go through at an angle.

Edited by RogerArrick

Umm, I don't know what a splitter is.

There are plenty of places in my town where going in at an angle still scrapes.

Just to clarify, the scrapes are not from running into curbs or pulling too far into parking places, they are from going through drainage dips at the entrance of retail places. The scrapes are not on the center section of the bumper, but only on the sides. I always go through at an angle.

3b6b864a-1.jpg

LOL....you have less than 2000 mi on your car!

:hysterical:

Hey....................get it right..........2866.7!!!!!!!...........LOL

Haven't seen any rattle-can Dupli-Color in Grabber Orange, but they do make a great match for Performance White! I just got through sanding and repainting the lower portion of my front fascia to fix my scrapes! (I didn't bother fixing the scrapes until I managed to ding the fascia on the ramps while loading up for Sebring!)

The GT500 splitter looks great, (even though it makes the front-end even lower!), has anyone painted their GT500 splitter to match body color and stripes?

Sam

Paint pens FTW! They work very well and match adequately- Testors paint pens. They're acrylic enamel thats durable and comes in gloss white and gloss black.

tesr2510.jpg

There is a testors Grabber Orange Lacquer rattle can for sale on ebay every once in a while. I bought one but don't have it yet.

My understanding is it should have a clear on top, but we'll see.

I've used the Ford GO paint pen and it works good too.

There is a testors Grabber Orange Lacquer rattle can for sale on ebay every once in a while. I bought one but don't have it yet.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Don't use any lacquer on your car. To my knowledge, lacquer can only go on top of laquer. Modern cars are painted using enamels.

LOL....you have less than 2000 mi on your car!

After I thought about this for awhile.........................kinda creeping me out................................are you stalking me????

:runaway:

try

http://www.expresspa...3&idCategory=23

I've painted add-on parts, but haven't tried to touch up nicks yet.

• 7 months later...

Here is another good sight for touch up spray cans grabber orange is paint code U3 called velencia. I used their paint (Vista Blue) to paint my strut tower brace. paint was spot on. You can also buy the clear coat in another can to cover the rattle can paint.

http://automotivetouchup.com/

Jeff

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

I have a Lotus Elise that incorporates exactly what was proposed in the beginning of this thread. (2 skid plates that are designed to abused, removed and replaced as needed). Also There are plenty of Ferrari's that do the same thing. I was also wondering and hoping that I could find something similar that would keep a stock appearance but protect the lower portion. The GT500 splitter looks nice and it's a great solution but I'm trying to decide if I want a full splitter on there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...