TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exterior and Interior Treatments Wash/Wax/Etc.

Broken record from me for Zaino Products. I also use the Tire product too.....

Description: Perfect is right. One application of Z-16 leaves an incredibly durable, water repellent, perfect looking satin finish, that's only slightly glossy and dry to the touch. Our unique formula contains Ultra-Gard UV protection and our exclusive moisturizing and antistatic solution to prevent drying, cracking and browning. Z-16 helps repels dust and dirt to keep your tires looking great, longer. Z-16 is not greasy and won’t sling off onto your paint.

+1

You can also use it on rubber and plastic trim

Meguiars all day everyday. I use their leather conditioner and cleaner on the car about 2 to 3 times a month also. Keeps the nice leather smell and seats stay soft and dark black. No cracks, wrinkles, or any other signs of usage. Even keeps the white inserts clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just for the time being I bought some Meguiars wax...and tested the roof and the hood. It did well but now my black stripes have all kinds of streaks on them!!! I'm having trouble getting the stripes to look homogeneous...help!!!

I mean, parts of the stripes look glossy, part looks more flat. I guess maybe I'll try scrubbing with soap and water first, and if that does not work, maybe I"ll put heavy wax on it to make it all solid and shiny?

Well, just for the time being I bought some Meguiars wax...and tested the roof and the hood. It did well but now my black stripes have all kinds of streaks on them!!! I'm having trouble getting the stripes to look homogeneous...help!!!

I mean, parts of the stripes look glossy, part looks more flat. I guess maybe I'll try scrubbing with soap and water first, and if that does not work, maybe I"ll put heavy wax on it to make it all solid and shiny?

First, water and dishsoap, water and vinegar, water and etc. did not work for me.

What I found to work for me cleaning with Armor All Cleaning wipes, the orange and purple container. My '10 with the matte black stripes were looking so bad that I didn't want to take my car out to be seen, they literally truned grey. At first I went through a lot of wipes with a lot of elbow bending to get the stripes clean. The first wipes came off with my hand and finger imprint marks on the wipe. Proof that the wipes were removing massive amounts of crap imbedded in the stripes. After the deep cleaning, I washed the car and detailed the stripes with Mothers VLR. The results were awesome but not perfect. From now on, I clean the stripes before washing, everytime, and detail with Mothers and the results improve with each process.

If you car has a lot of dust on it or is simply dirty, I would wash it first then wash it again after cleaning the stripes. The stripes can be scratched and you will most likly go over paint while cleaning. I also found a California Duster, when used properly, to be very effective. It is a duster, not a cleaner. only let the fibers barely touch the surface.

FYI, use caution with product used to detail the stripes, especially the matte. The parts guys at my dealership said the stripes are very porrous, almost all vinyl is, and sealants will prevent the stripes from breathing. This will cause premature cracking and shrinking.

Thanks man, I will try the Armor All wipes...I actually just bought some for my wife's car. Now...do you mean the "cleaner" type wipes, or the "shine and protect" type wipes? The latter is what I have....it sure does add shine to our dash.

Thanks man, I will try the Armor All wipes...I actually just bought some for my wife's car. Now...do you mean the "cleaner" type wipes, or the "shine and protect" type wipes? The latter is what I have....it sure does add shine to our dash.

The cleaning wipes. I, personally, would not use the protectant wipes on the stripes. I prefer the Mothers VLR (Vinyl, Leather, Rubber). The wipes will remove wax so a detail spray may be necessary, if you prefer caranuba over silicon or others.

Good luck

post-8230-0-62240700-1310163029_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-62240700-1310163029_thumb.jpg

It's widely thought on detailing sites that you should not apply wax to the flat stripes for the reasons that you encountered. I apply wax to mine without issues - due to the fact that the white stripes are semi-glossy.

Anybody else have the issue with a white residue build up in the black honeycomb grilles on our cars? I'm sure it's due to water drying when the engine bay is generating so much heat. Just wonder if anyone else has this occur..and is there anything that removes it easily?

Another question...do the grilles pop out with out removing the front end clip? Just thought it would be easier to clean them, if they were removed.

Another question...do the grilles pop out with out removing the front end clip? Just thought it would be easier to clean them, if they were removed.

Hey Blue,

The grilles do not pop out, at least in my experience. I couldn't even get the bottom one off when I had the front clip removed. They are seriously clipped in there by like 20 tabs with a bard on each end. A true SOB.

Best of luck.

Hey Blue,

The grilles do not pop out, at least in my experience. I couldn't even get the bottom one off when I had the front clip removed. They are seriously clipped in there by like 20 tabs with a bard on each end. A true SOB.

Best of luck.

Thanks Dafreak. I was afraid that might be the case. Just thought it would be nice to sit inside with the A/C on and do the cleaning!

Thanks Dafreak. I was afraid that might be the case. Just thought it would be nice to sit inside with the A/C on and do the cleaning!

Sure thing Blue. Hey, what do you think of this product ? Link

I'm thinking it would be money for the grille. Spray on a little detailer, let it sit for a minute or so then start drilln'! I'm going to give it a shot as there's got to be a better way to clean that thing.

Cheers.

Sure thing Blue. Hey, what do you think of this product ? Link

I'm thinking it would be money for the grille. Spray on a little detailer, let it sit for a minute or so then start drilln'! I'm going to give it a shot as there's got to be a better way to clean that thing.

Cheers.

Yeah...I've seen that and they've become quite popular..I've never used them though. Let me know how it works for you. I'm thinking I'm going to get some 3000 grit sandpaper to get the residue off. Either that or maybe a dish wash scrub pad. That freakin white residue is all over the places on the grille where the slots are blocked off as well...so I'm thinking that the pad would work better for that. I'm considering that if I can get this thing all cleaned up...I may spray it with some type of coating. Not sure though. Another thing that I thought about using is one of those magic erasers.

Hey guys, If you can get a portable blower or an air compressor to blow the water off after washing, you won't have the issue anymore. I found a carwash near me that has a blower in one of the stalls and it works great, even for getting the drips out of the mirrors, quarter windows, tail lights, under the hood, etc., as well as the grill. I also bought a little plug in cheapie from Ace Hardware for about 50 when on sale. Have at it...

A small compresser from HD for 89.00 and a master blaster blower works so great. I hate when you get done with a wash job and then the water runs out from under the mirror or trunk. They also work great on blowing the wheels dry too!

It's been said enough, but Zainos is the ticket in my book. On my Black car I used Clay Bar, ZAIO, a coat of Z5, a coat of Z2, and then topped it off with Z7. I was impressed to say the least. My car looks wet. It was a bit or work, but the finish is second to none IMO.

• 2 years later...

I got my 14 GT500 in December of 13. After a few washes, I noticed my matte black stripes were turning kinda "milky" also. I used a Mr. Clean eraser on them and the new looking finish popped right back into them. I have also order some Meticulous Matte Detailer and Spray from www.chemicalguys.com . If you use the Mr. Clean eraser, know that it is an abrasive, so use extremely light pressure on the stripes and make sure you have water available to keep the stripes wet. Once you see the grayish color disappear, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. The eraser worked wonders!

Archived