TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Non-availability for Airaid synthetic, non-oiled air filter. What gives?

03reptile

Just tried to order a replacement OEM, synthetic, non-oiled, air filter for my 2011 Shelby GT500 from Airaid, part # 861-399, and was told it was not going to be available for about a month. Has anyone experienced this outcome? Thought some of you had already ordered one and received same. What gives?

Just tried to order a replacement OEM, synthetic, non-oiled, air filter for my 2011 Shelby GT500 from Airaid, part # 861-399, and was told it was not going to be available for about a month. Has anyone experienced this outcome? Thought some of you had already ordered one and received same. What gives?

Am about to order one myself. I wouldn't buy direct from Airraid. Much cheaper on their dealer sites. I'm about to get mine from Summit Racing.

Edit: Ahh I see this one is now "Special Order" ) =

Found this posted by a employee of AIRRAID on the gT500 forums:

Both Air filters are going to offer great airflow and excellent filtration.

The SynthaFlow (Oiled) will flow about 10% more airflow, and is the best combination of air flow and Filtration of any performance filter on the market today! Typical Service intervals are between 30-50K, and you will need a AIRAID Cleaning Kit to Service the filter.

The SynthaMax (Non-Oiled) Filter is a great choice if you have concerns about the Oil Contamination myth, or if you are looking for a filter that offers a bit easier maintenance. Typical Service intervals are around 15-30K and what’s really nice is that you can use any type of house hold detergent such as a Simple Green or a 409 cleaner.

Both SynthaFlow (Oiled) and SynthaMax (NON-Oiled) Premium Air filters are Proudly Made In The USA and Feature our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

Thanks,

David

Seems as though you'd want the oiled AIRRAID 860-339 for better performance. What is the "oil contamination myth" ?

Through an email with them, Airaid is also coming out with a SynthaMax version of 860-512, their Blue filter :happy feet: . They said it would be out in 4-6 weeks as of last week. I prefer a dry filter for my environment, hot, high, and dry desert. No way is an oiled filter going to make 30-50K between cleaning here. Only thing I know about oil contamination is if you don't know how to follow instructions and OVER oil the filter.

Thanks for this thread 03reptile. I didn't know that they came out with a filter like this. Sounds really good - no oil, better flowing and can be washed. Mine is about done - so I will be ordering one of these soon. Much cheaper than the OEM ford part from a Ford Dealership as well!

Oil contamination of the MAF sensor.

its not a myth--i killed the MAF on a Jag Super V8 SC car with my KN--- I think the SC cars pull more air and are more prone to pull oil from an oiled filter.Ive used KN in many other cars, but wouldnt use them in an SC environment

its not a myth--i killed the MAF on a Jag Super V8 SC car with my KN--- I think the SC cars pull more air and are more prone to pull oil from an oiled filter.Ive used KN in many other cars, but wouldnt use them in an SC environment

This does not happen with the AIRRAID filters. They have an extra synthetic layer that prevents this from happening. Also, the dry filter loses efficiency over time, as where the oiled is back to 100% after a cleaning and re-oil. Source is in the link below.

AirRaid Filters

This does not happen with the AIRRAID filters. They have an extra synthetic layer that prevents this from happening. Also, the dry filter loses efficiency over time, as where the oiled is back to 100% after a cleaning and re-oil. Source is in the link below.

AirRaid Filters

Umm, you can clean the dry filter too.

I clean my Air Raid regularly. But, I also picked up a can of of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner from Autozone and clean the MAF whenever I take the Air Raid off. No Issues...Just clean it so It wont go over voltage.

I went ahead and ordered the red, oiled, Airaid filter from Summit Racing on Tuesday and it was on my porch on Thursday. Installation was a five minute job and it fits perfectly. The main reason I had considered the dry element was that Ford had used a similar filter in the OEM. I've used the oiled filters (K&N) on all my past cars over the last 20 years with no ill effect on the induction systems, so I'm not really concerned about oil adversly effecting the sensor. Thanks for all the in-put and happy motoring!

Archived