TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Did I just read right? over 20mpg???

pmustang

I have an 07 GT500, near 10k miles. Smaller pulley and tune, KR mufflers. nothing fancy. I have recently gotten (as per computer) 14.2mpg which is the best I have ever got in the car. I usually hover around the 12mpg mark. I have been driving like an old lady as our petrol is near 10 dollars a gallon (I am in the UK) I have read some old posts about milage and some folks claim over 20mpg? Do many of you experience such mileage? I have days where i have filled up twice! Previously I did over indulge the go pedal but lately its been a bit of throttle with mostly boring driving. Would love some other opinions.

thanks. Peter

20mpg very attainable at consistant highway/expressway speeds. Stop and go driving in the city is what kills MPG.

My SGT can obtain as high as 26mpg on the highway but I'm lucky to make 19 in the city. The best I've done is 20 in the city and that's with killing the engine at stoplights.

I don't put much stock in the vehicles computer MPG accuacy and for some reason people don't want to be very realistic (read truthfull) about their gas mileage as they always seem to "over estimate" the results.

I've found the best way of determining accuate mileage figures is to do it maually over maybe three or four tankfulls.

BTW, I'm getting 120 mpg. :)

In the hot desert city driving since 2006 I averaged about 12.3 to 13.5, the past 6 months (LOL, since married) was the first time I saw 14 in town, it was 14.6 a couple weeks ago. It's common on the highway to see 20-21 doing 80-85 we have out here. But it does drop with a/c on a little.

When I picked up my 09 GT500 seventeen months ago in Sacramento I had to drive to Orange county in southern California and sitting on 60 MPH-70 MPH I got 21.5 MPG. This was all highway driving except when I drove thru downtown LA which was bumper to bumper for an hour or so probably cost me least 0.5 - 1.0 MPG.

I don't know how you guys do it, or why are you even worried about gas mileage when it comes to these cars !

Gary (shelbypt) recently got over 20mpg on a long trip to Carlisle. He kept the RPM's at around 2000rpm's.

As for me, I can't keep my foot out of it so I don't care about saving gas. I have a daily driver Focus that nets me on avg 30 mpg so I'm happy there.

I guess my Shelby should be considered an economy car. (LOL) Mine's an aluminum block 2011 GT-500 and the window sticker said 15 to 23 mpg expected by the EPA. I drive it every day and have a blast. In the 10 months I've owned it I put 11,000 very enjoyable miles on the odometer. My daily commute is about 7 miles with three red-lights and a couple of stop signs. I normally average better than 17 mpg at each fill up. I've used it on several out of state trips including a recent 1500 mile trip to the All-Ford Nationals last weekend at Carlisle. It was mostly interstate and running 80 to 85 mpg when traffic allowed netted me around 22 mpg. On one leg I set the cruise on 79 mph and got 24.5 mpg. I am continually amazed at the gas mileage I'm able to get out of a 550 hp vehicle.

Back in the early 70's I owned a 1970 428 SCJ powered Mustang with the Factory Drag Pack and 4.30 gears. It got 5 to 7 mpg in daily usage and maybe 10 mpg on the highway if I kept it around 60 mph (difficult at best). My wife had a 1972 Ford Maverick with a 139 hp 302-2V and it got 12 to 14 mpg back then. Computers and electronics have done an amazing job on cars as far a horsepower, economy, and driveability is concerned. I spend as much time in 5th and 6th gears as I can but still have fun getting there. :shift:

I've noticed the on board computer is usually off about .5 mpg in the city and slightly less on trips. I check the average mpg on every fill-up and my manual calculations are always slightly better than the trip computer shows.

I like to use the MPG calculator on the cars to give me a rough idea on how I'm doing suring a trip but I do keep track of the mileage and gas consumed with each tank. On the trip to Carlisle, the GT got anywhere from 19.1 MPG to 24.4 MPG per tank. The 19.1 MPG was the tank that we used while we were tooling back and forth from the hotel to the show. For the entire trip, we traveled 1069 miles and used 48.3 gallons for an average of 22.13 MPG. Most of the highway miles were at or near 80 MPH and we are definitely not afraid to "have some fun" especially when entering the highway.

For the KR, we were able to get anywhere from 18.3 to 20.5 for each tank. Since the KR was in the display, we only drove it for 902 miles and used 45.9 gallons for a trip average of 19.67 MPG. We took the GT500 on a trip this weekend which was a little over 430 miles and was able to get 22.4 MPG with that.

When we originally purchased the Shelbys, we had to pay the gas guzzler tax. We get a lot better gas mileage with any of the Shelby mustangs than we get with our run of the mill Windstars which average between 18 and 21 MPG so I have never been happy with the governments decision that I needed to pay a special tax for the right to own one of these cars.

Mike

Going by the cars computer calculation I had 23 MPG on a short trip traveling about 60 MPH, around town 16-18.

I read somewhere that deducting about 1 MPG from the cars calculation will give you a more accurate estimate.

I regularly make 290-300 miles on a tank with about 99% city driving. With a 16gal tank that's between 18 and 19mpg so I would say the computer is pretty damn accurate, or at least it is in my SGT.

What are te odds that if enough of us could document mpg's above the gas guzzler tax cut off that we could get a refund from the gov.?

What are te odds that if enough of us could document mpg's above the gas guzzler tax cut off that we could get a refund from the gov.?

About zero. They would come up with some flimsy excuse why they couldn't do it..

I could of used that $1300 to stimulate the economy by using it to buy mods.

I have an 07 GT500, near 10k miles. Smaller pulley and tune, KR mufflers. nothing fancy. I have recently gotten (as per computer) 14.2mpg which is the best I have ever got in the car. I usually hover around the 12mpg mark. I have been driving like an old lady as our petrol is near 10 dollars a gallon (I am in the UK) I have read some old posts about milage and some folks claim over 20mpg? Do many of you experience such mileage? I have days where i have filled up twice! Previously I did over indulge the go pedal but lately its been a bit of throttle with mostly boring driving. Would love some other opinions.

thanks. Peter

Peter,

my 08 had the exact same mods, but I also had a ported supercharger by Posi, my last trip to indianopolis from Louisville I ran in the 75mph range and attained

a computer calculated 22 mpg, so It is possible on the interstate (around town is a different story) if you are just cruising. I agree the computer

is not always right, but its a least a benchmark for us to see if we are doing better or worse and it seems to be consistent.

Phil

About zero. They would come up with some flimsy excuse why they couldn't do it..

I could of used that $1300 to stimulate the economy by using it to buy mods.

So if I purchased a regular Mustang GT or any other car for that matter, added a supercharger, I could have avoided the GG tax? I'm suprised the govt hasn't began charging the tax for modded vehicles....

The most I have ever gotten is 15 Mpg, which was mostly Highway. I average 11-13.5 in mixed driving, I don't race, but that includes a few Freeway pulls per tank. Gotta hear the Blower on occasion...I have an 09 Vert with the FRPP Cai, Tune, and KR Axlebacks. Put down 500 Rwhp, and 473 Rwtq, Sae. Happy with the power, how in the h**l are you guys getting over 20 Mpg...EVER????

On the trip to Grabberfest my car clicked a 20.1 resetting at the gas station when I filled up. I just turned on the cruise control at 78 mph as WSP are just awful around here. The computer is routinely within 1-2/10ths either direction of the hand calc.

I am flabbergasted at over 20mpg. I care about mileage as its about 9 bucks a gallon if not more here to buy petrol. I bought the car as a toy and although I am not sweating about expenses you do have to take pause when you fill up and it says 140 miles to empty and spend UK pounds that equal about 125 bucks to do so its a bit painful. Just really want to know if something is wrong. When you go to a local show and drive sensibly and still spend 60 bucks in fuel you start deciding which event you really want to go to and if its worth it. II don't think it matters how much money you have (within reason of course) but you do have to justify to some extent dropping that sort of money to take a short trip. thanks for all your replies folks. Seems my car is about the same as some and dreadfully behind others.

Peter

The most I have ever gotten is 15 Mpg, which was mostly Highway. I average 11-13.5 in mixed driving, I don't race, but that includes a few Freeway pulls per tank. Gotta hear the Blower on occasion...I have an 09 Vert with the FRPP Cai, Tune, and KR Axlebacks. Put down 500 Rwhp, and 473 Rwtq, Sae. Happy with the power, how in the h**l are you guys getting over 20 Mpg...EVER????

You gotta hear that whine! :shift:

My setup is identical to yours CAI and tune with KR's. Was just dyno'd at 495. I get around 14 in town and 19 on the highway. But got 22 going to Carlisle this past weekend. Cruising at 2000rpm for 2hours. But it quickly settles to 14 when you start city driving.

But really who cares. It's about smiles per gallon not miles per gallon.

:salute:

I am flabbergasted at over 20mpg. I care about mileage as its about 9 bucks a gallon if not more here to buy petrol. I bought the car as a toy and although I am not sweating about expenses you do have to take pause when you fill up and it says 140 miles to empty and spend UK pounds that equal about 125 bucks to do so its a bit painful. Just really want to know if something is wrong. When you go to a local show and drive sensibly and still spend 60 bucks in fuel you start deciding which event you really want to go to and if its worth it. II don't think it matters how much money you have (within reason of course) but you do have to justify to some extent dropping that sort of money to take a short trip. thanks for all your replies folks. Seems my car is about the same as some and dreadfully behind others.

Peter

You mean your government doesn't subsidize Motor Vehicle Fuel 130 Billion dollars a year!

My SGT gets 21-23 on my commute, mostly 50-60mph, I averaged 17mpg on the power tour road trip... Even though it was a LOT of highway driving, the car was abused :)

Worth every penny when the whipple is making that beautiful sound!

Hi just a thought for the uk owners, when the computer shows the mpg its for american gallons so for us were actually going to be slightly better,f it reads 15 for example then in uk gallons its more like 18mpg.

My 08 supersanke with 8500 miles on (605 hp) stock does 14in the city and when i collected it and was wary of the right foot usage i got 22 which is about 25 uk mpg which is better than my daily driver a lexus 400ls,and that only has 230hp and 4litre.(sorry dont know cubic inch equivelent)

Yes I was hoping the UK gallon beat the imperial gallon a bit, Still seems a bit light on mileage but as you mostly say its about smiles not miles. I'll keep telling myself that.

Subsidize the petrol. you must be joking. BTW, this is out of date, Petrol is just about 1.40 pounds per liter now. And VAT is now 20%

" From 4th January 2011 the UK duty rate for the road fuels unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol is GB£0.5895 per litre (£2.65 per imperial gallon or £2.20 per U.S. gallon).[5] Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty.

Using the UK average untaxed pump price for unleaded petrol of £0.4572 per litre (from the December 2010 average taxed price of £1.221 per litre,[6] the duty rate of £0.5819 per litre[5] and the then VAT rate of 17.5%) this would give a January 2011 taxed price of £1.256 per litre (£5.71 per imperial gallon or £4.75 per U.S. gallon) - that is equivalent to a tax rate of 175%."

There is also an automatic tax rise on petrol of 2 pence per liter on a regular basis. Seems small but after a few years it really adds up.

it is what it is but how they expect you to get to work and get around doing your daily trips is beyond me. I know many folks who don't go on vacations due to the price of petrol. My recent purchase of flights to the USA had a tax of 280 pound per ticket!! 165 pounds of which was for the Fuel Surcharge. its insane.

peter

Remember, just like sheep - computer lie!

For any of you old enough to remember (and still young enough to remember) Tommy Smothers on the Smother's Brothers TV show in one skit told the just punch lines to many dirty jokes, including "But Captain, most of the men just ride her to town"

Best I have done, driving overnight up the east coast, was 23 mpg (Calculated for the entire trip of about 700 miles).

I never really try to for high mpg, just check when I'm on a long trip.

Standard, mixed driving is more like ...... 12 :)

Archived