TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Startup Issues

When my car sits for as little as 9 hours I get a real rough startup. It usually takes about 3+ days before it goes rough on startup. Does anybody have an idea of causes/cures? Here is a short video: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Startup%20issues/?action=view&current=20110609171424.mp4

This video was taken after sitting 3 days. Temperatures were moderate (70's) and I live in one of the mile-high cities in Colorado.

I have two tunes left on my SCT Xcalibator that came with the car. It appears from a sticker on back of the Xcalibrator that the tune was written 12/17/2007 and has a serial number of #3431 (as well as my name, address and VIN). I am more interested in engine longevity than maximum horsepower. Do you think this rough startup is because of the tune? Should I burn up half of my remaining tunes to make sure I have the Kenne Bell tune? (I am assuming Kenne Bell wrote the tune that came with this Snake, picked up in April of 2009.) Is there a way to verify which tune is on the vehicle without having to upgrade to something expensive from SCT?

The first thing I would do it just take it to a Ford SVT dealer. Obviously they won't have the KB tune but they might have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

As for the KB tune.....did everyone else NOT get the SCT tuner with the KB tune on it? I was told that the tuner needs to be sent back to KB once the tune has been installed.

The first thing I would do it just take it to a Ford SVT dealer. Obviously they won't have the KB tune but they might have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

As for the KB tune.....did everyone else NOT get the SCT tuner with the KB tune on it? I was told that the tuner needs to be sent back to KB once the tune has been installed.

No SCT tuner with my SS.......... :shrug:

The first packages came with a tuner - later deleted. It would be interesting to see a spread sheet with the additions and deletions as the SS package evloved.

:headscratch:

My SS was completed 3 years ago this month (Happy Anniversary), so I have one of the first 50 built so I'm told.

I know................it must be with the Super Snake Manual. :hysterical:

When my car sits for as little as 9 hours I get a real rough startup. It usually takes about 3+ days before it goes rough on startup. Does anybody have an idea of causes/cures? Here is a short video: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/john_hamrick/Startup%20issues/?action=view&current=20110609171424.mp4

This video was taken after sitting 3 days. Temperatures were moderate (70's) and I live in one of the mile-high cities in Colorado.

I have two tunes left on my SCT Xcalibator that came with the car. It appears from a sticker on back of the Xcalibrator that the tune was written 12/17/2007 and has a serial number of #3431 (as well as my name, address and VIN). I am more interested in engine longevity than maximum horsepower. Do you think this rough startup is because of the tune? Should I burn up half of my remaining tunes to make sure I have the Kenne Bell tune? (I am assuming Kenne Bell wrote the tune that came with this Snake, picked up in April of 2009.) Is there a way to verify which tune is on the vehicle without having to upgrade to something expensive from SCT?

Change your spark plugs. NGK TR6 and gap them at .030

I PM'ed him with this info. a couple of days ago. I had some start-up issues with mine at the same time that the NGK spark plugs being installed had come into question on this forum a year+ ago. I found that the NGK's had been installed, but the gap averaged .020-.022 across all 8 plugs. Once I regapped them to .030 (actually I think I did .032), my 725 runs great!!

Are they supposed to be the plain old TR6's or the Iridium variation of the TR6? TR6I?

R

Dustin Whipple confirmed .026 when I did my 725 hp FRPP/Whipple kit (2.9). I've always found it odd that everyone else seems to be going with a larger gap...

Dustin Whipple confirmed .026 when I did my 725 hp FRPP/Whipple kit (2.9). I've always found it odd that everyone else seems to be going with a larger gap...

Check your Super Snake Manual for proper gap needed for the spark..........................................never mind :doh:

Here is some info. from the KB site.......................

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/SPARKPLUGS.pdf

It looks like they recommend .035, I must have gapped mine at .035, because I remember going to their site to find out exactly what they recommended, I knew .020-.022 was too tight and the car did not run smoothly.

Thankfully Iridiums are "out", no more $70 spark plug changes!!

R

Here is some info. from the KB site.......................

http://www.kennebell.../SPARKPLUGS.pdf

It looks like they recommend .035, I must have gapped mine at .035, because I remember going to their site to find out exactly what they recommended, I knew .020-.022 was too tight and the car did not run smoothly.

Thankfully Iridiums are "out", no more $70 spark plug changes!!

R

I split the difference and gapped mine at .032.

I split the difference and gapped mine at .032.

Mine may be at .032 also? I don't remember. The one thing I do remember is going to my local NAPA and ordering the Iridium NGK's @ $8 or so each. I remember the guy behind the counter saying, "Those must be some special spark plugs", I just said yeah..... I'm glad that the next plug change will be much less. I need to find out where Denso's are sold............

R

When my car sits for as little as 9 hours I get a real rough startup. It usually takes about 3+ days before it goes rough on startup. Does anybody have an idea of causes/cures?

That is a symptom of a leaking/dripping fuel injector.

After my winter storage and tear-down (and installation of a Whipple 2.9L SC) I had the same problem. If I restarted the car right away (after a full cool-down), no problem. If I let it sit for a few days before restarting, it ran extreamly rough for the first few seconds (from about 3 seconds to 6 seconds) it would run really rough, like it was rich/flooded.

I ran a tank of gas through the system with a bottle of Chevron Techron (Techroline) added and I haven't had the problem since.

FWIW, I've used Chevron Techroline/Techron through my professional career (well over 25 years) and I highly recommend it. I know a high ranking engineer at the Harley-Davidson Product Development Center (PDC) in Milwalkee and when I mentioned it to him, he concured.

You can find it at any Chevron gas station with a mini-mart and at MOST "chain" auto parts stores (Pep-boys, Kragen, O'Riely's, Chief's, etc.). It comes in a black plastic bottle with a thin funnel shaped neck.

I recommend you run it through your EFI system at LEAST once a year and preferably every 4-6 months. It keeps more than just the injector tips/nozzles clean, it also works on the gunk that builds up on the back of your intake valves.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

• 4 weeks later...

One bottle of Techron to half a tank - drove 40 miles, filled up tank - now no problem on startup.

[/quote

FYI, before I start the Snake, I always allow the fuel pump to stop, all bells , whistles and electrons stop until there is complete silence under the dash and engine compartment. Never have had any problems. If I don't use this procedure, the car starts and runs rough a tad bit, so I think the technique has some value.

Jim

That is a symptom of a leaking/dripping fuel injector.

After my winter storage and tear-down (and installation of a Whipple 2.9L SC) I had the same problem. If I restarted the car right away (after a full cool-down), no problem. If I let it sit for a few days before restarting, it ran extreamly rough for the first few seconds (from about 3 seconds to 6 seconds) it would run really rough, like it was rich/flooded.

I ran a tank of gas through the system with a bottle of Chevron Techron (Techroline) added and I haven't had the problem since.

FWIW, I've used Chevron Techroline/Techron through my professional career (well over 25 years) and I highly recommend it. I know a high ranking engineer at the Harley-Davidson Product Development Center (PDC) in Milwalkee and when I mentioned it to him, he concured.

You can find it at any Chevron gas station with a mini-mart and at MOST "chain" auto parts stores (Pep-boys, Kragen, O'Riely's, Chief's, etc.). It comes in a black plastic bottle with a thin funnel shaped neck.

I recommend you run it through your EFI system at LEAST once a year and preferably every 4-6 months. It keeps more than just the injector tips/nozzles clean, it also works on the gunk that builds up on the back of your intake valves.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Amsoil PI

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx

My car just started having the same start-up hiccups about 2 weeks ago. If I just quickly shut the car off and then restart it, it fires right up.

We don't have Chevron here so I just bought some STP complete fuel system treatment and added it this morning- hopefully that works just as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My car is still having this issue. I called Sean Hyland today and he asked me to try something. He told me to turn the key to the RUN position, the fuel pump will run for 3 sec. Then turn it back to off. Then turn it to RUN for a second time and then try starting it. I did this and the car fired up. Sean says it's either the fuel pump or an injector that is stuck open that is causing the fuel pressure to bleed off after it's been sitting for any length of time.

Next step is to find out which it is.

Archived