TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buffing out fine scratches in the vinyl stripes?

Dana Holmes

Hi there gang - I searched high and low in the Forum and found all kinds of references about replacing stripes. But I want to know if anybody has successfully found a product to buff out very fine scratches in their vinyl/ plastic stripes? Thanks - Dana

Hey there John! It's me Dana! We met and spoke about 2 months back when I ordered both a pair of Silver and Red Racing stripes for my Vista Blue 2008 Shelby. I just finally got it back from the FORD dealership on Tuesday after 6+ months of it being there! I went to pick it up about 1.5 months ago and discovered someone had ran the front air dam into a curb! So I left it and told them to fix it.

I am going to attempt you Red Stripe install this weekend as we are due for nice weather! I have my spray bottle of water diluted w/ a teaspoon of Dawn dish washing liquid all ready to go. I am going to apply it liberally just as you said and separate the two strips down the middle also like you said. Has your thoughts on that install style changed since our last correspondence?

Thanks! Dana

Hey there John! It's me Dana! We met and spoke about 2 months back when I ordered both a pair of Silver and Red Racing stripes for my Vista Blue 2008 Shelby. I just finally got it back from the FORD dealership on Tuesday after 6+ months of it being there! I went to pick it up about 1.5 months ago and discovered someone had ran the front air dam into a curb! So I left it and told them to fix it.

I am going to attempt you Red Stripe install this weekend as we are due for nice weather! I have my spray bottle of water diluted w/ a teaspoon of Dawn dish washing liquid all ready to go. I am going to apply it liberally just as you said and separate the two strips down the middle also like you said. Has your thoughts on that install style changed since our last correspondence?

Thanks! Dana

Hey Dana

I sent you an email as well. I have lots of tips for the install that will help you. Give me a call to discuss.

When I brought my car home from the dealer I noticed fine swirl scratches in the black hood stripes. I didn't notice them when the car was at the dealer, but when I got it home and wet it down for its first washing the scratches were very noticeable. I used Turtle paste wax, not ICE, and waxed the stripes, paying particular attention to the scratched areas. The wax filled in the scratches and made them a lot less noticeable.

The dealer did replace the stripes several months later under the warranty.

Thanks! Dana

Hi Dana........ I have installed many Stripes on Mustangs......... A Teaspoon is way to much Dawn in a Spray Bottle. Way to much. A regular size Spray bottle (a Quart, maybe a little less) I usuall put 4 to 5 Drops........ thats DROPS of Dawn. To much Dawn and it could mess it up.

David.

for stripe application, doesn't dawn dish soap have a strong de-greaser in it which would adversely affect the adhesive on the stripe?

I have used J & J baby shampoo.

Polishing, I have ran a low speed orbital with Surf City Garage's Beyond Clay.

Works great and finish with a good non-detergent wax.

Recommend NOT using pastes on the market for vinyl. The one I bought only made my stripes WORSE. Casey

+1

Pastes can leave residue on your vinyl and could also cause you to scratch your stripes based on the rubbing needed to remove the paste. Also paste can leave noticeable buildup on the edge of the stripes as well.

The only stripes that you can buff (IMO) are ones cut from flxpaint. That is because it is actually a vinyl substrait painted and clear coated so you can treat it just like paint.

You can't buff them out but you may can minimize the look of them through using synthetic wax like ICE. Just my opinion.

You are correct, they don't buff out, the wax just fills them in. I had black gloss stripes with fine swirl scratches in them. I think that the dealer scratched the hood stripes when prepping the car. It looks like there was some grit on the cloth that they used. I did find a small fine scratch on the paint between the stripes that continues on both stripes. I used paste wax and rubbed it into the scratches, it did a good job of hiding most of them.

It took me a few trips to the dealer and a complaint to Ford to convince them that the dealer caused the damage. It took almost a year before they replaced the stripes.

Recommend NOT using pastes on the market for vinyl. The one I bought only made my stripes WORSE. Casey

Thanks! The dawn was used when I applied them...I like to use the ICE spray on the whole car its quick and easy...Cheers!

Hi there,

So I picked up the ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish. I would imagine that would suffice as much as the ICE spray detailer - correct? Sounds like this stuff is both great on the paint AND the stripes.

I will try some this weekend when I have a chance to work on my baby. I am going to be applying Mr. Farmer's Torch Red Racing Stripes to my beautiful Vista Blue SGT! I cannot wait to see the look and contrast! I am just going to be bummed if I mess them up on my first attempt and have to order another pair. John told me to just be liberal with the Dawn spray bottle and to actually split the two stripes somewhat down the middle so that I can play around with the positioning of the first one and then once that is set pull the second one down. I think if I follow his guidelines and just be patient they will come out pro!

Say SGT/SC#471 - where exactly in Washington State are you located? I am in Walla Walla now but I spent most of my adult life in Seattle. I was stationed in Bremerton in the U.S. Navy until 1985 and then moved to Seattle/ Greenwood after that. I played in the Seattle music scene for ~10 years. I am a rock drummer that played in original bands and had a blast! I owned a home right on 80th and Greenwood for years and then had an apartment in Ballard for a while as well.

Thanks! Dana

Hi there,

So I picked up the ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish. I would imagine that would suffice as much as the ICE spray detailer - correct? Sounds like this stuff is both great on the paint AND the stripes.

I will try some this weekend when I have a chance to work on my baby. I am going to be applying Mr. Farmer's Torch Red Racing Stripes to my beautiful Vista Blue SGT! I cannot wait to see the look and contrast! I am just going to be bummed if I mess them up on my first attempt and have to order another pair. John told me to just be liberal with the Dawn spray bottle and to actually split the two stripes somewhat down the middle so that I can play around with the positioning of the first one and then once that is set pull the second one down. I think if I follow his guidelines and just be patient they will come out pro!

Say SGT/SC#471 - where exactly in Washington State are you located? I am in Walla Walla now but I spent most of my adult life in Seattle. I was stationed in Bremerton in the U.S. Navy until 1985 and then moved to Seattle/ Greenwood after that. I played in the Seattle music scene for ~10 years. I am a rock drummer that played in original bands and had a blast! I owned a home right on 80th and Greenwood for years and then had an apartment in Ballard for a while as well.

Thanks! Dana

Forgot I was using the ICE spray wax...a guy on TS turned me on to it....I was using Meguiars and still do from time to time but that ICE is so easy..I got a friend using it on his cars too...pretty cool.

West Side! I am sure we met if you were around Pioneer Square or Ballard in the early 90's...really was a small scene then. We used to play music at our house in WS 4-5 nights a week...for years. Music is so fun!

Do you remember the crazy metal fabricators who were on Market Street who fabbed the guerillia public art? Thats where I lived in Ballard after P-Square.

The stripes take some patience it's a trippy material...watch that you don't crease it that screws it up and take your time....a seamstress fabric tape measure worked for us to measure the center of the hood etc...and a grease pencil to draw on your paint. I like PPG Acryli-clean to get the wax off before working on paint....Hood takes some coaxing...John is very helpful and on it!

Hope yours turn out awesome! If your ever in the city let me know!

Archived