TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 GT500 going to get another cooling upgrade?

bpmurr

Check out the brakes. The rear rotors are larger and do I see carbon ceramic front rotors?

It almost looks like it has 20's all the way around on it, front and rear with VERY low profile tires on the wheels.

Also, I spy SVT PP style wheels but "base" OTT and side stripes. Boss wheels perhaps?

Then there's the factory roll bar (single hoop) with Recarro seats. Not a "full" roll bar, but a drivers side bar so rear seat passengers would still be able to get in!

I also see the taped up splitter with a fence on the lower lip. It could be to divert air up onto a IC radiator but it could also be testing a new front splitter/air dam.

I also see something in the wheel wells, front and rear on the back side of the tires. Could be telemetry sensors but it looks like two little " marks (like quotation marks).

The tubing in the upper grille looks like AC tubing. I have a feeling Ford put some stuff up in the grille to keep everyone from looking elsewhere on the car, ala Gary Ormsby & Lee Beard in NHRA TF/D when everyone thought they had some kind of traction control on the car so he'd cover the pedel assembly everytime they took the front panel off the car...all the while never covering the real "trick" at the back of the car. People were so intent on looking under the cover to see the pedels they never even LOOKED at the back of the car.

They (Ford engineers) don't get paid the big bucks 'cuz they're stupid!

Phill

According to this story, the pics were taken at the Nurburgring and they speak of a twin-turbed 5.0L:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/122517/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-spied-with-twin-turbo/

Hmm. This is kind of odd...

They say Nuremburg and the track looks like it could be...but they have Mich. Mfgr. plates on the car.

Why would they have ANY plates on the car on a closed course, let alone USA/Mich. plates?

Does anyone know the track well enough to say it is or is NOT "The Ring"??? Not that it matters, just more of my suspicion that Ford is playing the ole' "shell game" again.

Find the pea,

Phill

Just found that article on Autoblog myself. Definitely has bigger brakes front and rear.

As for the proposed powerplant, why would Ford invest all this money into a turbo Coyote when Ford of Australia has already released a supercharged Coyote? With upcoming fuel economy standards and such, I'm almost afraid to say the Ecoboost V6 is more likely to be what gets the nod if they go the turbo route :(

Hmm. This is kind of odd...

They say Nuremburg and the track looks like it could be...but they have Mich. Mfgr. plates on the car.

Why would they have ANY plates on the car on a closed course, let alone USA/Mich. plates?

Does anyone know the track well enough to say it is or is NOT "The Ring"??? Not that it matters, just more of my suspicion that Ford is playing the ole' "shell game" again.

Find the pea,

Phill

I would be 99% sure it’s the Ring based on the spray-paint/graffiti on the track. Ford testing at the Ring is nothing new, even for US Spec only rides. The Mich. plate only indicates it was Registered in Mich.

Just found that article on Autoblog myself. Definitely has bigger brakes front and rear.

As for the proposed powerplant, why would Ford invest all this money into a turbo Coyote when Ford of Australia has already released a supercharged Coyote? With upcoming fuel economy standards and such, I'm almost afraid to say the Ecoboost V6 is more likely to be what gets the nod if they go the turbo route :(

It is 100% impossible that the 2013 GT500 will have a V6.

Thanks 2Sharpie...it does seem like the car sits lower, doesn't it? Also, anyone have an idea what those marks are above the wheel on the fender?

A couple more pics - this one has some strange air deflectors attached on the front below the marker lights:

LeftLane says this is "more evidence of twin-turbocharging"...........Huh?????

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500-future.html

LeftLane says this is "more evidence of twin-turbocharging"...........Huh?????

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500-future.html

Interesting...sounds like the car is really going to be loaded for bear!

one thing I always wonder...in this day and age...why do we only get spy "photos"? How could someone not have video of these cars going around the track?

Interesting...sounds like the car is really going to be loaded for bear!

one thing I always wonder...in this day and age...why do we only get spy "photos"? How could someone not have video of these cars going around the track?

Well maybe Spy photos ain't all that "spy". Perhaps these are pics that Ford and other car makers leak?

Car forums just love this kind of stuff and all these "spy" pics keep people talking about the various cars year 'round.

A Shelby with a V6------not me! If I want that there are much better vehicles than a Mustang.

Will just keep my 2012 but a twin turbo 5.0----WHO wants to buy my old dog 2012??????? :happy feet:

A Shelby with a V6------not me! If I want that there are much better vehicles than a Mustang.

Will just keep my 2012 but a twin turbo 5.0----WHO wants to buy my old dog 2012??????? :happy feet:

I talked to a friend that has been testing this vehicle, 5.0 Eco boost is coming in the future for Mustang and also will replace the 6.2 in the Raptor, that's all he would tell me!

Tom

I talked to a friend that has been testing this vehicle, 5.0 Eco boost is coming in the future for Mustang and also will replace the 6.2 in the Raptor, that's all he would tell me!

Tom

They won't put a boosted motor in a truck built for desert running. N/A is required.

Tom

What kind of friend is that :redcard:

They won't put a boosted motor in a truck built for desert running. N/A is required.

Hmmmm, good point!

I can't think of ANY sanctioning body that allows forced induction in off-road desert (or stadium) racing.

At least not in the USA. I think the Dakar rally MIGHT if it's a factory showroom stock class. And I say, MIGHT 'cuz quite honestly, I don't KNOW.

Phill

Guess the open question is whether these test mules are for the 2013 GT500 or the new 2014 "world" Mustang chassis. Hard to know from just looking at the pictures. I'd guess that Nurburgring credentials would matter more for the later, as Ford would be putting the 2014 "world" Mustang up against BMW/Audi/Mercedes Coupes in Europe. But then GM seems to make such a big deal of Corvette/Caddy ring results, maybe Ford is going for some sort of nearer term results to market against the Camaro/Corvette/CTS? Coincidence that these "spy" phosts appear on the same day that GM releases a new (and impressive) ZR1 Nurburgring lap time video? :headscratch:

Anyway, I'm guessing 2013 GT500 comes with the current 5.4L bored out to 5.8L supercharged+TVS at something like 650 HP, while a 5.0 turbocharged Ecotech shows up sometime in 2014 or soon afterward and is offered in the new chassis at around 500 HP at first.

Car and Driver just reported on this as well. Said Ford insiders said no way on a twin turbo V8 for the '13 Shelby.

My thoughts (guesses):

2013 will most likely have a larger blower and intercooler for the 600+ HP- I think that's what were seeing. They're probably going for a new mustang record around the 'ring to brag about. Look how low that suspension is!

2014 new model mustang is rumored to have not only a turbo I-4 but also twin turbo V-6 as options like the ecoboost...

Long time reader and first time poster. I am currently stationed in Kaiserslauthern, Germany and was informed on Tuesday that there was a new GT500 testing at Nurburgring. I went up on Wednesday and Thursday to check it out. There were quite a few club members there and they were clocking both cars throughout the week. You could not get near the vehicles (not that I would try) and no questions were answered. It rained Monday, Tuesday and some on Wednesday and was cool and clear the rest of the week (about 65-72). I could not hear a supercharger or a turbo but I was not very close to the actual track and exhaust was pretty decent (and tire noise). Club members here clocked the red GT500 around a best of 7:30 and the black one around 7:40. There were two passengers most of the time with the occasional driver only run. The cars would do 2-3 laps of 8 minute laps and then move to a 7:XX lap so it seems heat soak was being looked at as well. It was said that Karl Gieger was there personally but I don't know if anybody from the US has heard of him. The traffic was pretty low when I went up on Wednesday and Thursday and I was told that the it was that way pretty much all week. Both cars would do 2-3 laps, sometimes running together, sometimes one at a time and then they would disappear for 30 minutes. There were a series of 10 minute laps (which is slow) and as I said, multiple time keepers clocked the cars mid 7 minutes at their best under very good weather and traffic. This is all I know, I have iPhone video of some turns but it really sucks and the audio was crappy so I didn't keep them, the group I was in picked a location way too far from the track IMO. We were told that there would be photos and video online later this month so I didn't care about the video. I was surprised when I checked the internet late Thursday night and found it posted already.

Anyway, I thought the lap times would be interesting at least, I am trying to circulate this info as much as possible. I was also told that a local guy ran his Boss 302 LS at a 7:45-7:49 which is right on par with the BMW M3 GTS and the Audi R8 V10 but this, along with everything else I was told is all hearsay. I did however, confirm a 7:35 from the red GT500 and a 7:43 from the black car via a club members stop watch so... I can see a 7:30 and a 7:40 from these cars. There was speculation about the Red GT500 being a Nurburgring edition and the other being a future production GT500 SVTPP. There was speculation that maybe one was a manual and one was an auto and that one was a 2012 and the red one was a 2013.... either way, they were both very fast and ran most of the day for most of the week...

Hope this helps...

Long time reader and first time poster. I am currently stationed in Kaiserslauthern, Germany and was informed on Tuesday that there was a new GT500 testing at Nurburgring. I went up on Wednesday and Thursday to check it out. There were quite a few club members there and they were clocking both cars throughout the week. You could not get near the vehicles (not that I would try) and no questions were answered. It rained Monday, Tuesday and some on Wednesday and was cool and clear the rest of the week (about 65-72). I could not hear a supercharger or a turbo but I was not very close to the actual track and exhaust was pretty decent (and tire noise). Club members here clocked the red GT500 around a best of 7:30 and the black one around 7:40. There were two passengers most of the time with the occasional driver only run. The cars would do 2-3 laps of 8 minute laps and then move to a 7:XX lap so it seems heat soak was being looked at as well. It was said that Karl Gieger was there personally but I don't know if anybody from the US has heard of him. The traffic was pretty low when I went up on Wednesday and Thursday and I was told that the it was that way pretty much all week. Both cars would do 2-3 laps, sometimes running together, sometimes one at a time and then they would disappear for 30 minutes. There were a series of 10 minute laps (which is slow) and as I said, multiple time keepers clocked the cars mid 7 minutes at their best under very good weather and traffic. This is all I know, I have iPhone video of some turns but it really sucks and the audio was crappy so I didn't keep them, the group I was in picked a location way too far from the track IMO. We were told that there would be photos and video online later this month so I didn't care about the video. I was surprised when I checked the internet late Thursday night and found it posted already.

Anyway, I thought the lap times would be interesting at least, I am trying to circulate this info as much as possible. I was also told that a local guy ran his Boss 302 LS at a 7:45-7:49 which is right on par with the BMW M3 GTS and the Audi R8 V10 but this, along with everything else I was told is all hearsay. I did however, confirm a 7:35 from the red GT500 and a 7:43 from the black car via a club members stop watch so... I can see a 7:30 and a 7:40 from these cars. There was speculation about the Red GT500 being a Nurburgring edition and the other being a future production GT500 SVTPP. There was speculation that maybe one was a manual and one was an auto and that one was a 2012 and the red one was a 2013.... either way, they were both very fast and ran most of the day for most of the week...

Hope this helps...

Awesome...Thanks

I'm not saying your making anything up, but while I would LOVE to believe those times, something has to be wrong here. Unless this car is absolutely and compltely altered somewhere.everywhere we don't know about, I can't even fathom the idea of our cars doing those times. That would be beating the 911Turbo, Ferrari 458, Lambos etc. - and pushing it to ZR1 and GT-R times. I wish.......but something just ain't right. :headscratch:

Archived