TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 is a pig

Many of us, particulary myself and 3 Cobra's understand precisely where this guy is coming from. Both of us have owned 04 'Terminator' Cobras.

But neither of us has chosen to introduce ourselves to the board or illicit a conversation using the following method:

"Hi guys, your cars sure are pieces of shit. And heavy? Man, I own one and I have to say it is the heaviest, ugliest, slowest POS ever seen.

So...what kind of wax you guys using?"

He came off like an ass, and got treated like one. You're not telling anyone anything they didn't know already, that being that this is a performance MUSTANG at the end of the day. And as for saying what would hang with the GT500, there is always something that some Jim Bob can build in his basement out of used Nova parts and aluminum siding from Wal Mart that might be faster or 'hang with' a GT500. But who gives a crap? You can polish a turd, it's still going to be a turd.

Me? Personally I'd rather purchase a new car, with a warranty, that doesn't require a PHD in duct tape and rebar bending to keep it on the road with 500hp.

:hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

Perfect.....I like your opinion, and agree with it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many of us, particulary myself and 3 Cobra's understand precisely where this guy is coming from. Both of us have owned 04 'Terminator' Cobras.

But neither of us has chosen to introduce ourselves to the board or illicit a conversation using the following method:

"Hi guys, your cars sure are pieces of shit. And heavy? Man, I own one and I have to say it is the heaviest, ugliest, slowest POS ever seen.

So...what kind of wax you guys using?"

He came off like an ass, and got treated like one. You're not telling anyone anything they didn't know already, that being that this is a performance MUSTANG at the end of the day. And as for saying what would hang with the GT500, there is always something that some Jim Bob can build in his basement out of used Nova parts and aluminum siding from Wal Mart that might be faster or 'hang with' a GT500. But who gives a crap? You can polish a turd, it's still going to be a turd.

Me? Personally I'd rather purchase a new car, with a warranty, that doesn't require a PHD in duct tape and rebar bending to keep it on the road with 500hp.

+1

Well said!

I hate to say it and I know I am going to get flamed right outta here but I must say I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

Keep in mind all I have to compare it too is my 03 SVT Cobra that I traded in for this pig. Only mods I had on my 03 was a Borla Stinger and a CAI. My 1/4 times with the 03 were at best 12.09 @ 116 mph. The car made 415 RWHP SAE corrected. The GT 500 is not much better than this and it sports a 5.4 L mill. The 03 was a 4.6L

The GT 500 in not that much heavier so it cant be a weight thing

Here are the reasons I am sad about the loss of my 03. The 03 rode like it was on rails. Handled much more superior than the 500. Ford went to a live axle in the GT due to lots of feedback from 03 and 04 cobra owners thinking it would eliminate the wheel hop that the 03 was riddled with. Although the wheel hop in my 03 was fixed with some bushings and a little patience.Well guess what Ford the GT 500 has wheel hop also so much for the live axle. The IRS in the earlier model Cobras was a much better ride and had better handling.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration. It just not pull like my 03 did. All the way around I feel that my 03 was a far superior car. The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned I even went back to the dealer to see if I could buy back my 03 and it was gone :(

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge, what can I do to improve the throttle response, improve the lousy handling, and get this pig to pull like my 03 did. I really am resentful at this point with all the wait and all the hype, I just hope that I can somehow come close to having even somewhat of the same ride and performace that the 03 had.

After the intitial flames maybe you guys can tell me what you have done to improve your ride quality,handling and performance in the GT.

First thing I CALL B.S YOU DONT OWN A GT500!!!SECONDMAYBE YOUR JUST TO FAT FOR THE SHELBY SO GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND RUN AROUND THE BLOCK!!!THEN LET ME KNOW WHICH BLOCK SO I CAN PUT YOU OUT OF YOUR MISERY!!!

Dam Jolly Roger .... I think you got it ! .... that has to be jumpin cactus ... and the reason his car isnt a go fast shelby.

I guess his curb weight with him in it is closer to 4500 pds :hysterical2:

Ive owned 3 terminators. 1 '03 10th Anniversary, 1 '04 Cobra Vert, and 1 '04 Cobra Coupe. I can tell you hands down the the Terminators gave you the feeling of handling on rails, but the GT500 chassis is so much stiffer and the car is quite a bit larger which lends itself to the feeling of being a little portly vs. the smaller terminator cars, but Id be willing to bet that its because the chassis is so good that it makes the car feel like its not going as quickly and I felt the same way too until I started paying more attention to the gauges. The car hauls ass!! And stock for stock the GT500 is obviously a quicker car and it should be. Ive had my '04 on the road course at Buttonwillow and I cant wait to put the GT500 out there too just to see how it feels on the track. I think Im going to be very impressed with the car on the road course as well.

I hate to say it and I know I am going to get flamed right outta here but I must say I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

Keep in mind all I have to compare it too is my 03 SVT Cobra that I traded in for this pig. Only mods I had on my 03 was a Borla Stinger and a CAI. My 1/4 times with the 03 were at best 12.09 @ 116 mph. The car made 415 RWHP SAE corrected. The GT 500 is not much better than this and it sports a 5.4 L mill. The 03 was a 4.6L

Here are the reasons I am sad about the loss of my 03. The 03 rode like it was on rails. Handled much more superior than the 500. Ford went to a live axle in the GT due to lots of feedback from 03 and 04 cobra owners thinking it would eliminate the wheel hop that the 03 was riddled with. Although the wheel hop in my 03 was fixed with some bushings and a little patience.Well guess what Ford the GT 500 has wheel hop also so much for the live axle. The IRS in the earlier model Cobras was a much better ride and had better handling.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration. It just not pull like my 03 did. All the way around I feel that my 03 was a far superior car. The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned I even went back to the dealer to see if I could buy back my 03 and it was gone :(

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge, what can I do to improve the throttle response, improve the lousy handling, and get this pig to pull like my 03 did. I really am resentful at this point with all the wait and all the hype, I just hope that I can somehow come close to having even somewhat of the same ride and performace that the 03 had.

After the intitial flames maybe you guys can tell me what you have done to improve your ride quality,handling and performance in the GT.

if you wanted a nice ride why didnt you by a linciln town car and if irs handles better then why do road racers take out the irs and put in a solid axle . I think you have your head so far up there your stuck

Gee, I got rid of my 2004 Terminator which was an awesome car and find that my GT500 is not only faster, but it handles and rides better. But what would I know...I only have 498 RWH with a tune. I guess I had better tell my GT500 to take it's head out of the troft...it's eating too much!!

:finger: Bad Gt500, stop eating...the terminator may pass you!! :hysterical2: NOT!!

Gee, I got rid of my 2004 Terminator which was an awesome car and find that my GT500 is not only faster, but it handles and rides better. But what would I know...I only have 498 RWH with a tune. I guess I had better tell my GT500 to take it's head out of the troft...it's eating too much!!

:finger:

Sell it, so somebody else can enjoy it.

FWIW, I've reread Cactus' post several times, and I'm not sure I don't understand and agree with at least some of it. I'm no troll just because of that.

I know that after putting over 260K miles on three Cobras that were all Fox platforms, the '07 did not feel as comfortable at first as those cars. I rode more softly and twitched the rear end much more than those cars. It did not feel leaps and bounds better at first to me. You sit down in it more, so visibility is worse, especially to the rear. The big side mirrors create some blind spots during turns, especially if you are turning onto a road that slopes down from the road you are on.

I have said elsewhere that my GT500 is the best car I have ever owned. It has taken some getting used to with the change from the others to this car, though. I think the rubber bushings have taken a set, and the springs have settled some. And maybe I'm just getting more used to it. I definitely wouldn't go back. But I can understand what Cactus may have felt about the car. Anyway, I'm going to make some mods to improve a few things - just like I do with every car I own. I wouldn't do that if it was perfect.

FWIW, I've reread Cactus' post several times, and I'm not sure I don't understand and agree with at least some of it. I'm no troll just because of that.

I know that after putting over 260K miles on three Cobras that were all Fox platforms, the '07 did not feel as comfortable at first as those cars. I rode more softly and twitched the rear end much more than those cars. It did not feel leaps and bounds better at first to me. You sit down in it more, so visibility is worse, especially to the rear. The big side mirrors create some blind spots during turns, especially if you are turning onto a road that slopes down from the road you are on.

I have said elsewhere that my GT500 is the best car I have ever owned. It has taken some getting used to with the change from the others to this car, though. I think the rubber bushings have taken a set, and the springs have settled some. And maybe I'm just getting more used to it. I definitely wouldn't go back. But I can understand what Cactus may have felt about the car. Anyway, I'm going to make some mods to improve a few things - just like I do with every car I own. I wouldn't do that if it was perfect.

No, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a troll because of his post- I'm saying he is a troll because of his lack of posts after others began giving input. If it was a legitimate topic of discussion, I would think the thread starter may have an interest in advancing the topic :shrug:

I certainly don't subscribe to the belief that the car is perfect, that designation is reserved only for myself :hysterical2:

It's obvious he only posted here to stir up crap. I too traded an 04 term for my Shelby and I'm here to tell you stock for stock the Shelby wins hands down in every department. I should correct myself, the engine bay in the term was nicer looking then that of the Shelby, to much black, but thats nit picking, and can be fixed very easily.

post-3019-1174599694_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1174600613_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1174599694_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1174600613_thumb.jpg

Some of you are very simple minded . I fully understand where he is coming from.I love my shelby but its not the supercar some say it is. I wasnt disapointed with the car but i will tell you that the car is certainly not gods gift to the world.Its a mustang with 500hp.No more no less.Well maybe a little more wheelhop.........I think the newbie has totally valid points.The terminators could be had for HALF THE price and certainly were not much less of a car regardless of what you all think. Take a stock shelby and put on $1000 worht of mods on a terminator and it will smoke you hands down.............Thats reality. Now i agree if you do the same to the shelby it will reverse the situation but i understand where this guy is coming from.Instead of insulting him.Why not just give him evolutions number and explain what needs to be done? Maybe some of you are new to this HP thing but im not.My $700 modded lightning would hang with my shelby stock. Thats a 4800lb truck..........
'

Thank you Shelby GT 500 for being one person in here that seems to have some insight into what I was talking about. I do own a GT 500 its a perfomance blue vert. I will admit it was assinine starting out the way I did and I apologize to all of you right here and now. I can also see that one of the few things you guys stated is that I was most certainly in the wrong forum I guess my judgement was clouded thru my disappointment.

I would however like to ask of how many of you that would have burned me at the stake ever owned the 03 term. I heard about some other years but all BS aside, my term was no slouch. I owned it and drove it hard for over three years and I do not get the same SOTP response from my GT 500 as I did from the term.

What I had really hoped was that after you all figured out I was just plain bummed out about MY car that you would all see me as a fellow stang enthuesist and help me figure out what are the best ways to mod this car.I know what to do to get more horsepower but what about the handling deficiencies in the 500

It was just after all the hype for almost two years and after having two dealers sell my GT 500 out from under me while having held my deposit, that after finally making the purchase I cannot and will not change my position this Shebly just doesnt seem to perform as well as the Term, especially in the handling category.

As for the claim that the horsepower I got from the 2 mods I did do on the 03 take a look in the SVT performance site some time and see the treasure trove of horsepower that is and was hidden in that 4.6 modular motor. The 03 terms have gobs of horsepower with the least amount of mods. But what good is all that horsepower when you cant get it to the ground and keep it there. This car's A** is all over the place when cornering hard and even the slightest irregularity in the road feels way looser than the term.

I would also request that those of you all that keep bantering that 500 HP battle cry around show me your baseline dyno slips before you modded your motor and show me anything near 500 bone stock HP with the GT 500. I ran a baseline on mine the other day and after 4 pulls the best I could come up with was 438 SAE corrected. thats a far cry from 500 ponies.

I again would like to say I'm sorry for getting this whole mess started, for some reason I thought that I was still living in the land of the free. I guess, thats only if you dont speak your opinion. But I can see that most of you are too grandiose because you thought I was talking about your car.

As for the troll BS I am not a troll just a guy lookin for ways to make this car as strong as it can be and not delude myself into thinking that because its got a Shelby badge its the baddest car on the block. And with all due respect to Carroll Shelby he is and always will be an American icon when it comes to American muscle. I am down for that. I just truly wish he had had more to do with the actual build of the car then I would have nothing to be down about.

So can you all put down your bruised egos and turn me on to some tried and tested suspension mods for my very real not imaginary GT 500. I am capable of letting go and getting on from this point and attempt to be a part of this forum and the other one I should have started in in the first place,but after seeing the response and comments over a simple matter of speaking my mind, and correct me if I'm wrong I still have a right to do that or did I wake up in another country. Sad part be known most of the flamers would probably be just fine with that.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”

Herbert Spencer

Archived