TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 is a pig

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jumpincactus-

Boo Hoo I want my termie back :cry:

I think you are probably a troll. Doubt that you own a GT500 or have ever driven one based on your comments.

My PIG would outrun your Termie with those mods easily. In fact, I might let my wife drive past you.

hope you get your termie back.

I hate to say it and I know I am going to get flamed right outta here but I must say I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

Keep in mind all I have to compare it too is my 03 SVT Cobra that I traded in for this pig. Only mods I had on my 03 was a Borla Stinger and a CAI. My 1/4 times with the 03 were at best 12.09 @ 116 mph. The car made 415 RWHP SAE corrected. The GT 500 is not much better than this and it sports a 5.4 L mill. The 03 was a 4.6L

The GT 500 in not that much heavier so it cant be a weight thing

Here are the reasons I am sad about the loss of my 03. The 03 rode like it was on rails. Handled much more superior than the 500. Ford went to a live axle in the GT due to lots of feedback from 03 and 04 cobra owners thinking it would eliminate the wheel hop that the 03 was riddled with. Although the wheel hop in my 03 was fixed with some bushings and a little patience.Well guess what Ford the GT 500 has wheel hop also so much for the live axle. The IRS in the earlier model Cobras was a much better ride and had better handling.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration. It just not pull like my 03 did. All the way around I feel that my 03 was a far superior car. The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned I even went back to the dealer to see if I could buy back my 03 and it was gone :(

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge, what can I do to improve the throttle response, improve the lousy handling, and get this pig to pull like my 03 did. I really am resentful at this point with all the wait and all the hype, I just hope that I can somehow come close to having even somewhat of the same ride and performace that the 03 had.

After the intitial flames maybe you guys can tell me what you have done to improve your ride quality,handling and performance in the GT.

:kuko::kuko::kuko::kuko::kuko::kuko:

5.4 vs. 4.6; pig vs. terminator; bottom line is that you never saw this kind of fan fare, nor veracity, for the termie. But if you're so damn unhappy with it, autotrader.com will happily allow you to gouge away. That is unless you bought before you thought; which is likely as you must've been toasted when you posted. Get a clue and $hit on our cars somewhere else.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 19 2007, 03:41 PM) 117364[/snapback]
Well, I know for a fact that a GT500 with proper traction will beat a Terminator with proper traction - all stock. Won't be a big margin of victory (just a few tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile), but a victory none-the-less.

However, the S197 platform does really disappoint in the butt-o-meter department, as our new friend so "eloquently" pointed out. The chassis is so much better and more refined than the SN95 platform, and the power comes on so linearly without the peakiness that the prior cars had, that it gives the illusion that it is going much slower than it really is.

So in summary, the GT500 outperforms the Terminator; it just does not feel like it does.

Five Oh, this is soooo true....the part about it being so refined. I remember posting that my...ahem...Camaro FEELS stronger...but I know it's not. It's just all that loose steering, loud exhaust, tranny noise coming through the tunnel, and vinyl seats that you slide around in. It's an illusion plain and simple. This car is so refined that you are tricked into thinking it's not that fast. The flatness of the torque curve is unbelievable...it's flatter than my first girlfriend. The numbers tell the real story.

Dave

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 19 2007, 03:41 PM) 117364[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I know for a fact that a GT500 with proper traction will beat a Terminator with proper traction - all stock. Won't be a big margin of victory (just a few tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile), but a victory none-the-less.

However, the S197 platform does really disappoint in the butt-o-meter department, as our new friend so "eloquently" pointed out. The chassis is so much better and more refined than the SN95 platform, and the power comes on so linearly without the peakiness that the prior cars had, that it gives the illusion that it is going much slower than it really is.

So in summary, the GT500 outperforms the Terminator; it just does not feel like it does.

Five Oh, this is soooo true....the part about it being so refined. I remember posting that my...ahem...Camaro FEELS stronger...but I know it's not. It's just all that loose steering, loud exhaust, tranny noise coming through the tunnel, and vinyl seats that you slide around in. It's an illusion plain and simple. This car is so refined that you are tricked into thinking it's not that fast. The flatness of the torque curve is unbelievable...it's flatter than my first girlfriend. The numbers tell the real story.

Dave

>>>>>it's flatter than my first girlfriend<<<<<

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Has anyone track tested the GT500 and the Terminator at the same time? Not drag strip mind you a road course. I dont know about the rest of you but the roads I drive on daily have curves in them and just wondering which car was a better handling car not most powerful or faster in a straight line.

Has anyone track tested the GT500 and the Terminator at the same time? Not drag strip mind you a road course. I dont know about the rest of you but the roads I drive on daily have curves in them and just wondering which car was a better handling car not most powerful or faster in a straight line.

:stirpot:

My 2004 Terminator was a pig as well, but I just applied some skill to it, learned how to get the most out of it and continued doing my thing.

I'm certain the GT500 will be much the same. Even better, it has the live axle so you can kick out the rear end without worrying about axle hop after you straighten out. (even if you have to put the LCA for 150 bucks on there)

Nobody here, myself included, bought this Mustang, or any other one before it for that matter, for a road course car. These cars handle 'well enough', and have that rough edge that differentiate between our flavor of cars and Porsche's for instance. But look at the tradeoff-

Porsche Cayman S - Handling - win Power? - 295hp. Price - 60k

Personally I'd rather have bigger balls and less handling than the other way around. I owned a 04 Cobra, I'm glad to hear the new Mustangs are more solid, quiet, and less prone to degenerating into a hoopty. That chasis was old and busted, and it showed. Do you give up some butt-o-meter fun? Maybe, but that's what mods are for. Intake, exhaust, pulley, tune? Tell me this thing ends up being a pig then. Because that's what I had to do on my 2004 Cobra to make it 'not feel like a pig'.

Sell your car if you can't appreciate it, you're obviously a troll anyway. Pictures of your car, with you holding a sign that says 'I'm a tool' or I don't believe a thing you have to say.

I put 50K+ miles on my '01 Cobra, 40K miles on my '04 Cobra and have 11K+ on my GT500 to date. The IRS handles better on real (meaning bumpy not smooth) corners. Period. By how much? Hard to say. I have driven the cars on the same roads day after day in all conditions in the same way. I find the solid axle annoying the way it ass hops over expansion joints, especially in corners, when driven hard.

That said, the GT500 is a better car overall. Period. It is tighter from the start than either Fox car was, so I suspect the suspension mods will produce more predictable and repeatable results. I will install LCA and a Panhard Rod with urethane bushings soon, and likely the UCA shortly after that just so I can evaluate the changes each makes. I suspect much of the ass hopping in the GT500 will go away. I did not do anything to the IRS on the '04 because I knew I wasn't keeping it, so I know improvements were possible there as well.

Summary: I really, really, really liked my '04 Cobra. It was the best car I ever owned. The GT500 is the best car I've ever owned.

I put 50K+ miles on my '01 Cobra, 40K miles on my '04 Cobra and have 11K+ on my GT500 to date. The IRS handles better on real (meaning bumpy not smooth) corners. Period. By how much? Hard to say. I have driven the cars on the same roads day after day in all conditions in the same way. I find the solid axle annoying the way it ass hops over expansion joints, especially in corners, when driven hard.

That said, the GT500 is a better car overall. Period. It is tighter from the start than either Fox car was, so I suspect the suspension mods will produce more predictable and repeatable results. I will install LCA and a Panhard Rod with urethane bushings soon, and likely the UCA shortly after that just so I can evaluate the changes each makes. I suspect much of the ass hopping in the GT500 will go away. I did not do anything to the IRS on the '04 because I knew I wasn't keeping it, so I know improvements were possible there as well.

Summary: I really, really, really liked my '04 Cobra. It was the best car I ever owned. The GT500 is the best car I've ever owned.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Thank you for playing, next customer please. :hysterical:

Some of you are very simple minded . I fully understand where he is coming from.I love my shelby but its not the supercar some say it is. I wasnt disapointed with the car but i will tell you that the car is certainly not gods gift to the world.Its a mustang with 500hp.No more no less.Well maybe a little more wheelhop.........I think the newbie has totally valid points.The terminators could be had for HALF THE price and certainly were not much less of a car regardless of what you all think. Take a stock shelby and put on $1000 worht of mods on a terminator and it will smoke you hands down.............Thats reality. Now i agree if you do the same to the shelby it will reverse the situation but i understand where this guy is coming from.Instead of insulting him.Why not just give him evolutions number and explain what needs to be done? Maybe some of you are new to this HP thing but im not.My $700 modded lightning would hang with my shelby stock. Thats a 4800lb truck..........

Some of you are very simple minded . I fully understand where he is coming from.I love my shelby but its not the supercar some say it is. I wasnt disapointed with the car but i will tell you that the car is certainly not gods gift to the world.Its a mustang with 500hp.No more no less.Well maybe a little more wheelhop.........I think the newbie has totally valid points.The terminators could be had for HALF THE price and certainly were not much less of a car regardless of what you all think. Take a stock shelby and put on $1000 worht of mods on a terminator and it will smoke you hands down.............Thats reality. Now i agree if you do the same to the shelby it will reverse the situation but i understand where this guy is coming from.Instead of insulting him.Why not just give him evolutions number and explain what needs to be done? Maybe some of you are new to this HP thing but im not.My $700 modded lightning would hang with my shelby stock. Thats a 4800lb truck..........

Simple minded? Are you kidding me? You honestly think that this guy is sincere with his post? If this person even owns a Shelby, don't you think there are better ways to ask questions about performance upgrades?

WTF? :nonono:

5.0 Mag tested both a Termie and a Condor (GT500) with mods. They were not the EXACT SAME mods but closest possible. If I remember correctly, the Termie's best 1/4 mile time was 11.88 vs the Condor's 11.37. I wasnt able to read the entire article since it was torn. Its the best I can provide. I think stock would show similar results (Termie would not be that much behind the Condor) These both were modified, so I can only assume what they would be stock. I thinHope it helps cool things. GT500 is much more refined and faster...but the Termie is very quick and not too far behind.

Alex

:tequila:

Simple minded? Are you kidding me? You honestly think that this guy is sincere with his post? If this person even owns a Shelby, don't you think there are better ways to ask questions about performance upgrades?

WTF? :nonono:

+1

I got batting practice tonight. :hyper:

Many of us, particulary myself and 3 Cobra's understand precisely where this guy is coming from. Both of us have owned 04 'Terminator' Cobras.

But neither of us has chosen to introduce ourselves to the board or illicit a conversation using the following method:

"Hi guys, your cars sure are pieces of shit. And heavy? Man, I own one and I have to say it is the heaviest, ugliest, slowest POS ever seen.

So...what kind of wax you guys using?"

He came off like an ass, and got treated like one. You're not telling anyone anything they didn't know already, that being that this is a performance MUSTANG at the end of the day. And as for saying what would hang with the GT500, there is always something that some Jim Bob can build in his basement out of used Nova parts and aluminum siding from Wal Mart that might be faster or 'hang with' a GT500. But who gives a crap? You can polish a turd, it's still going to be a turd.

Me? Personally I'd rather purchase a new car, with a warranty, that doesn't require a PHD in duct tape and rebar bending to keep it on the road with 500hp.

Archived