TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Possible performance upgrades for a 2007 Shelby GT

I recently picked up a 2007 Shelby gt with only 2700 miles on it about 2 weeks ago. I absolutely love it. First mustang in over 10 years. I was looking to make some performance upgrades. My question is, "is this a bad idea to modify a shelby production car." I have completed two exterior modifications such as a Shelby billet gas door and some removable window louves. What are some ideas to soup up the performance? I would love to throw a supercharger in but that would be at least a year from now. I have also been entertaining a chip/tuner. Any other suggestion or comments on whether or not any performance modifications are frowned upon or encouraged plus options would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Car SOLD, BOUGHT 2008 GT500

It depends what you want to use your car for. The car was designed to run on road courses and if you wish to do that you will first want to work on suspension pieces, brakes and tires. Then get the car on the track and work with the car to realize its potential in the twisties. When you have all that working, you can add power and instantly incorporate it at the track. If you are not interested in the road courses, there is no particular order for your modifications. Superchargers are seductive as all get out (I should know) but the are expensive and they void your warranty. Many choices for sure. Enjoy.

Jim

My question is, "is this a bad idea to modify a shelby production car." .

Cheers

No! Not a bad idea at all.

I would coat-tail Clark in that brakes and tires are the best start. A lower grill insert is also a good idea. After that, save for the blower and don't look back! (That's where you'll soon find your competition)

Welcome to the Team!

Dan

Thanks gentlemen for all all the help. Any suggestions for which supercharger to chase?? I know jmn444 suggested the whipple. What route did some of you other guys go?? Looking for best bang for my buck. I have looked at the ford motorsports option but it seems quite pricey and looks as if I would need to change my hood(which i am not looking to do). Once again thanks for all the great suggestion and timely support.

I guess i should say that the upgrades are mainly for street driving with occasional track runs. Hopefully a few times year. I would also love to get some more idle rumble. The car sounds great stock but I am greedy and want more on the low end

thewhip2.jpg

thewhip1.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about modding a production Shelby, whoever repainted the car before you bought it took care of that!!

I will echo JMM for obvious reasons...... Whipple it!!!

Welcome to the site from another Keystoner!

What supercharger to get is a tough choice. You will not go wrong no matter what you choose. You have a 2007 so your options include the Paxton, which is the supercharger that Shelby used back in the 60's. It was my first choice and Shelby actually had it installed on my cars (they sent me the photos) when it was found that Paxton could not get CARB certification for the 2008 cars. Shelby then offered a Kenne Bell option, complete with Shelby specific plate mounted on the supercharger itself so I had them install that for me. I stayed away from the Whipple for a number of reasons. First, in my mind, the Whipple is identified with the GT500 and "belongs" to them. The SGT cars are night and day different and I wanted to preserve that difference to the extent I could and still supercharge the car. Second, the location of the air pickup is superior with the KB (down in the lower fender well, passenger side and out of the heated environment of the engine compartment), although doing that does not let you see the CAI like you can with the Whipple. Again, some want that visual. Third, I prefer the sound of the KB over the Whipple (others are drawn to the Whipple to get that very sound). Fourth, I did not like losing the strut tower brace. Probably the cleanest supercharger set up out there right now is the Edelbrock: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/superchargers/fuel_injected.shtml. I would have strongly considered it had it been available when I made my choice. I am an old guy and Edelbrock is a great name in hot rodding and has been for many years. Once you have saved your nickels and have enough for your supercharger, that is when the fun starts. Don't let price drive your decision - get the one you want and you won't be sorry. Keep us informed as you progress.

Jim

White with blue stripes!? Wasn't there a couple of these done by Shelby, or am I just dreaming?

Anyway, I was seduced by the power of the supercharger and went with the Edelbrock E-Force! (Dyno at 460 hp and 428 lbs tq on 5 psi!) You will most likely HAVE to upgrade other things if you supercharge - brakes, clutch, and wheels/tires! Your warranty is already done for, (unless you purchased an extended one), so mod away! (Good idea to hang on to old parts so you can return it to stock trim if necessary)

Sam

I would do a whipple for the mere fact ford has licensed it . it is badass I like where the intake is. the kit is complete it comes with pumps tensioner and maf.

historically there has been less problems with them (surging,coding) the KB intake requires you to modify the rad support and headlight bucket for the intake which is placed near the street.to me not the optimal position (could be a water/snow issue BUT it is BIG issue with the heat from the road. here in vegas the road gets in excess of 280 degrees) yes you cant use the strut tower brace with the whipple but you can subframe connect it and make it even stiffer.

and nothing sounds cooler than the spooling squeel of a whipple I dont know much about the other superchargersI like the whipple's looks pulley and intake see below

thanks everyone for all the suggestions, very informative information. Best way to learn is from others who have tested some of these parts. So once again much appreciated.

Another option I was looking at was Borla exhaust. This something I wanted 10 years ago with my last mustang. I noticed they put what it seems like a basic muffler kit with the Shelby GT's. Will I be able to squeeze some extra horses out and a better sound with a new exhaust system?? Also interested in hearing some other exhaust suggestions for a more throaty sound with increased horse power.

Sorry for all the questions. Just been out of the game for so long and now the obsession is running wild.

I would do a whipple for the mere fact ford has licensed it . it is badass I like where the intake is. the kit is complete it comes with pumps tensioner and maf.

historically there has been less problems with them (surging,coding) the KB intake requires you to modify the rad support and headlight bucket for the intake which is placed near the street.to me not the optimal position (could be a water/snow issue BUT it is BIG issue with the heat from the road. here in vegas the road gets in excess of 280 degrees) yes you cant use the strut tower brace with the whipple but you can subframe connect it and make it even stiffer.

and nothing sounds cooler than the spooling squeel of a whipple I dont know much about the other superchargersI like the whipple's looks pulley and intake see below

That is beautiful. great pictures everyone. my head is starting to spin

White with blue stripes!? Wasn't there a couple of these done by Shelby, or am I just dreaming?

Sam

No Shelby did not produce any 2007's white with blue stripes. They were all either black or white with silver stripes.

No Shelby did not produce any 2007's white with blue stripes. They were all either black or white with silver stripes.

I actually just found out today from my dealer that they had a problem with the silver stripes fading. The dealer put the blue on my vehicle. Much happier with the OG colorway

As others have said....your 07 Shelby came with silver stripes, so staying true to production stock is already out the window. unless you change them back....:spend:

Next...on the SC.......I know the Paxtons are not legal on an 08 and I dont believe you can get a Paxton on an 07 anymore either....but you need to check that to be sure.

KB have had issues, I am sure if you do a search on this site,....you will find details......

I went with the Whipple.....Ford Racing Bullitt Proof tune being a big reason why...

Congrats on your Shelby and welcome to the team!

As others have said....your 07 Shelby came with silver stripes, so staying true to production stock is already out the window. unless you change them back....:spend:

Next...on the SC.......I know the Paxtons are not legal on an 08 and I dont believe you can get a Paxton on an 07 anymore either....but you need to check that to be sure.

KB have had issues, I am sure if you do a search on this site,....you will find details......

I went with the Whipple.....Ford Racing Bullitt Proof tune being a big reason why...

Congrats on your Shelby and welcome to the team!

What do you mean by not legal? I ask because I have a Paxton 1200SL

The paxtons aren't approved for California... No CARB certification, SO, SAI wouldn't put them on as part of the GT/SC package. A few slipped by though! You can personally put them on and I THINK the Shelby speed shop will install them for you as well now.

The paxtons aren't approved for California... No CARB certification, SO, SAI wouldn't put them on as part of the GT/SC package. A few slipped by though! You can personally put them on and I THINK the Shelby speed shop will install them for you as well now.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

BTW, I have emails exchanged with the speed shop regarding the Paxton, GT/SC stripes and the engine bay plaque being an option, BUT it wouldn't be an official GT/SC per the registry... It was pricey IMO, but thought I'd share in case others wanted the Paxton with a little extra Shelby history attached.

Forget the Paxton, it does have history, but it is not up to the quality of a Whipple or even a KB. The Whipple, is without-a-doubt the superior blower offered for these cars. I will disagree with my learned friend from San Diego in saying that the KB is not superior to the Whipples.

Archived