TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Saga

When I got my beautiful grabber orange 2008 GT-C last month I knew about the stripe spot problems because of this forum. And since the car has only 15k mi and been on the road less than 36 mo I figured that getting them replaced would be no big deal. The local dealer first said "Yeah, we've replaced these before on other GTs".

But Ford rejected the warranty replacement saying """damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) - where there is no factory-related defect...""".

Then called Shelby American and they said not covered.

Looking for advice.

post-32680-0-03032700-1307473159_thumb.jpg

post-32680-0-03032700-1307473159_thumb.jpg

That's pretty much the standard response to spotting and has been for quite some time and that's some pretty nasty fallout damage. I would go to an auto graphics house or Shelby, or any of the sources outlined the the stripe forum for replacement. If the car is stored outside I would look at getting them painted. My stripes an 07 replaced in 09 have no issues but the car is garaged and rain or standing water are ALWAYS wiped off followed by detail spray. NEVERlet rain water dry in sunlight on the stripes. Nasty residue.

Good luck!

When I had my stripe issue the dealership said SAI had the final say on stripe replacement.

(the service rep said that the old stripe material even had to be sent back to them. Really?)

There was a 3 year warranty on the stripes and I was at about the 1/2 point of those 3 years

so the stripes got replaced. After the second set started to go bad I was just beyond the 3 years

and so not covered and I just went and had the stripes painted.

IMHO, Get the stripes painted and get rid of the future headaches.

CC

Just visited with a local trim guy who does stripes. Since 99% of my problem is with the 2 roof stripes, he can replace them very affordably. His Oracal material is an exact match. I think that's the way to go for now. Can change my mind later and paint, but this solves most of it right now.

Just visited with a local trim guy who does stripes. Since 99% of my problem is with the 2 roof stripes, he can replace them very affordably. His Oracal material is an exact match. I think that's the way to go for now. Can change my mind later and paint, but this solves most of it right now.

Just my 2 cents worth...got mine painted for $700, could've be happier, they did the scoop at the same time. Looks great and can be washed, clayed, waxed. This whole issue is very frustrating! Good luck!!

Jason

I got new stripes for 250.00 installed, and I'm very happy with the job.

...Get the stripes painted and get rid of the future headaches.

CC

Exactly.

I hate the fact that the Shelby GT ever came with vinyl stripes in the first place. I wasn't suprised on the GT500 models, since they are built by Ford and all of the OEMs use vinyl for stripe material (due to cost). But, when SAI released the SGT with vinyl stripes, I was amazed. I've said if before and I'll say it again so more people will know- vinyl is not meant to be permanent. Paint is the way to go for long term looks. :)

Anyway, happy trails.

Exactly.

I hate the fact that the Shelby GT ever came with vinyl stripes in the first place. I wasn't suprised on the GT500 models, since they are built by Ford and all of the OEMs use vinyl for stripe material (due to cost). But, when SAI released the SGT with vinyl stripes, I was amazed. I've said if before and I'll say it again so more people will know- vinyl is not meant to be permanent. Paint is the way to go for long term looks. :)

Anyway, happy trails.

Exactly!! In 5 years when the tape comes off the paint will be different where the tape was. If your car never gets out in the sun maybe not but when the tape is removed you will still have stripes... :banghead:

When I had my stripe issue the dealership said SAI had the final say on stripe replacement.

(the service rep said that the old stripe material even had to be sent back to them. Really?)

There was a 3 year warranty on the stripes and I was at about the 1/2 point of those 3 years

so the stripes got replaced. After the second set started to go bad I was just beyond the 3 years

and so not covered and I just went and had the stripes painted.

IMHO, Get the stripes painted and get rid of the future headaches.

CC

What color was used for stripes have 08sgt thinking of painting them on got to get hood painted because of bubbling up around hood pins any help tks dave

What color was used for stripes have 08sgt thinking of painting them on got to get hood painted because of bubbling up around hood pins any help tks dave

My stripes are silver.

Attached is the paint codes the shop manager gave me in case I ever needed to have the stripes re-painted.

He said any shop should be able to interpret the codes and match the paint.

Having the stripes painted makes washing and waxing the car soooo much easier.

Clarence

paint code Shelby GT.doc

paint code Shelby GT.doc

Today I got the roof stripes replaced. They look like new and match perfectly. Took about 1.5 hrs. Quite a bit of work taking the old ones off. And strange thing, there was a 1/2" ding with body filler under one of the stripes with a 4" sanding circle. Looks like this roof got a ding sometime in the past and probably had new roof stripes. That's interesting because 99% of the rust spots were on the roof stripes. Anyway, it's good now and since I'll be keeping her in the garage instead of the California sun, I'm hoping this setup will last for several years. Then I'll consider painting them. :happy feet:

Today I got the roof stripes replaced. They look like new and match perfectly. Took about 1.5 hrs. Quite a bit of work taking the old ones off. And strange thing, there was a 1/2" ding with body filler under one of the stripes with a 4" sanding circle. Looks like this roof got a ding sometime in the past and probably had new roof stripes. That's interesting because 99% of the rust spots were on the roof stripes. Anyway, it's good now and since I'll be keeping her in the garage instead of the California sun, I'm hoping this setup will last for several years. Then I'll consider painting them. :happy feet:

Good for you!! Glad you are satisfied.

:salute:

Archived