TEAM SHELBY FORUM

P0301 thru p0308 codes

Ok I own an SGT and I have replaced 3 coil packs with 0nly 16k miles on it, I was curious if anyone else has been throwing these codes and has found if you just repalced the stock coil packs with a better grade as well changed the 2 piece plug to the one pice if it cured the issue??? Also what is a good quality coil pack to go with and my engine is Stock 4.6 with FRPP shorty headers no other mods..

thanks

So, you have a misfire code for EACH cylinder? Seems that the issue would lie with the overall ignition, fuel system or rotating mass sensors; not individual coil packs.

To be honest, the factory coils are plenty good. Does anyone know if the 800hp GT500 Super Snake is using stock coils?

I keep getting a code 300 random misfire even drop my timing and always have high octane fuel. The dealer cant figure out what's causing the problem they run a diagnostic test and nothing it's on hard driving. The light comes on after a few minutes of slowing down and cruising. I have a feeling it the sparkplugs which I asked them numerous times to pull the plugs and do a visible inspection of them. I also think that why my car won't pass the emission inspection. I told the dealer owner if it's my plugs you owe me some money will find out when swapping out the intake manifold. But you can't always go by a computer for every problem sometime you have to get dirty. I hate part changers and refused to do it as a mechanic its wrong to the customer and embarrasing to a educated tech. When I worked at the feds most of the guys had no clue on how to diagnose a problem so they just start throwing parts in. One guy had a electrical short so he started replacing the cars harness it took me 5mins to find a dime in the cigartte ashtray!! SAD

I know what you mean. It's called to shotgun it- throw a bunch of parts at it and hope the problem is fixed.

It's interesting that you say the misfire occurs during light throttle. Usually, an ignition related misfire will get worse with load- including broken plugs or incorrectly gaped plugs. And, the fact that it occurs randomly at different cylinders makes me believe it's a triggering issue. Try checking the crank sensor and it's references marks. I would also check the cam sensors. And of course, check all the wiring related to them.

I know what you mean. It's called to shotgun it- throw a bunch of parts at it and hope the problem is fixed.

It's interesting that you say the misfire occurs during light throttle. Usually, an ignition related misfire will get worse with load- including broken plugs or incorrectly gaped plugs. And, the fact that it occurs randomly at different cylinders makes me believe it's a triggering issue. Try checking the crank sensor and it's references marks. I would also check the cam sensors. And of course, check all the wiring related to them.

Well I'm at the tail end of my paint job But I always find something to redo which is never ending and stops the intake install and plugs. My buddy the service manager got canned so its a new guy. I guess the new guy didn't get the memo he wanted to know why I was in his garage he got the memo later on when the owner made him drop my rims off at the tire shop :hysterical: But if the problem isn't with the plugs then I will be forced to go to the dealership of course with the owners approval (friend) and run through the cars electronic as you said and till my car passes inspection and that code is gone. I will not stop till its corrected they did try a new computer and 02 sensors and nothing . I have stayed on my own time if thats what it takes to correct a problem their is no excuse. They did 99% of engine mods so its up to them to fix it, I never pushed it but even though not having a valid inspection does bother me. Plus I know from my own experience stopping someone is a production then only to find out its someone your not going to write is a major pain. Plus god forbid your involved in an accident it does not make things any better. It did start after the cams were installed so maybe something is loose or off never went over the work that was done. But will update when I get to that stage.

Racer,

I'm also getting the 300 every once in a while with the Hot Rod Cams. Yes, usually while setting at an idle for to long. Even with the tune, I guess when it starts to get into that lope pattern, the computer catches that as a misfire sometimes. Once you have some RPM, and everything is running nice and smooth, The computer is happy.

Mick, I have the same question which I've been thinking about on the coil packs and plugs. My car will be headed for Vegas here pretty soon for a Paxton and I'll see what Gill and the other guys at the mod shop recomend or to see if they have had any issues. Probably can learn more by spending some time on the other Mustang Forums, but I don't have time for that right now.

Racer,

I'm also getting the 300 every once in a while with the Hot Rod Cams. Yes, usually while setting at an idle for to long. Even with the tune, I guess when it starts to get into that lope pattern, the computer catches that as a misfire sometimes. Once you have some RPM, and everything is running nice and smooth, The computer is happy.

Mick, I have the same question which I've been thinking about on the coil packs and plugs. My car will be headed for Vegas here pretty soon for a Paxton and I'll see what Gill and the other guys at the mod shop recomend or to see if they have had any issues. Probably can learn more by spending some time on the other Mustang Forums, but I don't have time for that right now.

Thanks for the info at least, I know that is not a coil problem

Archived