TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Supersnake

Did Shelby build your Super Snake or Walmart?

Walmart has a great return policy and they price match.

Maybe Shelby should outsource the build to a 3rd world country and then maybe he could lower the price.

You could always build one yourself.

Go buy a used one.

Take you GT500 to West Coast customs.

www.mustang.com

They say the 2012 will debut with a massive 800hp! WTF? The option was available in the 2012 model,too.Besides,I don't see any difference in performance parts or deviation in design from the regular pattern.So why the hell has cost been increased in comparison to the '11 model? Any ideas? :rant2:

Probably the same reason that the 725 horse package that I paid $31,995 for went up to $34,995 a couple of years later, same parts, same Mod Shop.

Possible reasons - Price of modification parts went up? Employees got raises? Business costs increased? <<All reasonable conclusions..............

Or, they just decided to charge more $$$ for the service they are providing, building Super Snake Shelby's with the valuable CSM number attached. Without the CSM, it is just another GT500 with owner bolt-ons.

R

building Super Snake Shelby's with the valuable CSM number attached. Without the CSM, it is just another GT500 with owner bolt-ons.

R

For certain I could've built an SS knockoff, that would look and perform pretty much like an SS, for cheaper than Shelby's SS package. And probably 99.5% of the world would not know or not care. But I would know and I would care. A big part of having an SS is that CSM number. Having it "blessed" by Shelby makes this car even more special to me. For many folks it wouldn't matter or they couldn't give a damn, but I'm the one driving it and it matters to me.

For certain I could've built an SS knockoff, that would look and perform pretty much like an SS, for cheaper than Shelby's SS package. And probably 99.5% of the world would not know or not care. But I would know and I would care. A big part of having an SS is that CSM number. Having it "blessed" by Shelby makes this car even more special to me. For many folks it wouldn't matter or they couldn't give a damn, but I'm the one driving it and it matters to me.

Then,I'd say they charge it for the so called-"to die for" Shelby badge...

No doubt SS's performance and looks have improved in '10,'11 and '12,simultaneously,but I think they are running out of ideas.SERIOUSLY.The 2007-2009 trend is coming back.The model will remain the same,but will be sold at comparatively higher costs. :slapfight:

No doubt SS's performance and looks have improved in '10,'11 and '12,simultaneously,but I think they are running out of ideas.SERIOUSLY.The 2007-2009 trend is coming back.The model will remain the same,but will be sold at comparatively higher costs. :slapfight:

Well I've never really took a look at all the components in the SS package and then priced them out, so I can't really say if the SS package is inflated over what it might cost if you were to buy all the parts separately.

And the package price does include labor costs, so that alone would add quite a bit to just the cost of parts.

What I was meaning was that I could stripe it like an SS, and I could get the SS hood and I could get a KB blower. And that might be close enough to a SS to satisfy most people.

But nobody is forcing anyone to buy the SS package. If it's not for you there are a million other options you can do to your Mustang or Shelby.

i take exception to the "looks have improved in '10,'11 and '12". Yea you can get black wheels (if ya want them, not me), but I am SO happy to have my 2007 (40th Anniversary) Super Snake which does not have that ugly ass rear end light issue the newer style has. I say all this with a smile cuz all the Snakes are truly gorgeous but I am serious and glad I have the best looking style to date!

I can only go by what I know to be true from the historical past. Sure a person could build a 1965-70 Mustang GT to a Shelby level, and even have a car that would perform better, however, if that Mustang GT is not a CSM'ed Shelby it does not matter how well it performs or how much less it cost to build, it is not in any way the $$$ car that a real Shelby is from that era.

^^^^In this case it is the Mustang GT being modded to a Shelby level.........................................Below it is a Shelby GT500 being modded to a Super Snake level.........In both cases the determining factor is "who did the modding?" Shelby or Joe Lunchbox?

I have no reason to believe that this will not be the case in the future.........................a person could easily build a "Super Snake like GT500", it could perform as well or better, it could cost half the amount to build, BUT it would be very similar to the scenario I have laid out in the first paragraph. The real money buyers are going to pay the real $$$ for the real thing, not something that "performs like" or "looks like", they will spend their big $$$ on "what is" a documented Super Snake.

In the end, it all comes down to documentation and that CSM number. The guys who are spending the big $$$, they know and they care.

R

Well I've never really took a look at all the components in the SS package and then priced them out, so I can't really say if the SS package is inflated over what it might cost if you were to buy all the parts separately.

And the package price does include labor costs, so that alone would add quite a bit to just the cost of parts.

What I was meaning was that I could stripe it like an SS, and I could get the SS hood and I could get a KB blower. And that might be close enough to a SS to satisfy most people.

But nobody is forcing anyone to buy the SS package. If it's not for you there are a million other options you can do to your Mustang or Shelby.

Really? I'd have loved to build one while you just sat and instructed me.Only if i had a Shelby GT500....SIGH! I really don't care,like you,Whammer.If we could spend less and got the car working like a real SS,the Shelby badges won't cost so much as to cause some pain in the ass.

@Poohtang:

Yeah,I agree that the new SS does't has THAT impressive taillights but at least its better than the 2007 model,IMO...

@Robert M:

Well,at least we don't care.We aren't rich like 'em.Also we'd love to build it with our very own hands...

I can only go by what I know to be true from the historical past. Sure a person could build a 1965-70 Mustang GT to a Shelby level, and even have a car that would perform better, however, if that Mustang GT is not a CSM'ed Shelby it does not matter how well it performs or how much less it cost to build, it is not in any way the $$ car that a real Shelby is from that era.

^^^^In this case it is the Mustang GT being modded to a Shelby level.........................................Below it is a Shelby GT500 being modded to a Super Snake level.........In both cases the determining factor is "who did the modding?" Shelby or Joe Lunchbox?

I have no reason to believe that this will not be the case in the future.........................a person could easily build a "Super Snake like GT500", it could perform as well or better, it could cost half the amount to build, BUT it would be very similar to the scenario I have laid out in the first paragraph. The real money buyers are going to pay the real $$ for the real thing, not something that "performs like" or "looks like", they will spend their big $$ on "what is" a documented Super Snake.

In the end, it all comes down to documentation and that CSM number. The guys who are spending the big $$, they know and they care.

R

Well said brother.

@Robert M:

Well,at least we don't care.We aren't rich like 'em.Also we'd love to build it with our very own hands...

That is a good point that you have brought up, I'm not a rich guy either.

And for those who are not rich guys, there are options........................

Let's examine the current market GT500 market. I'll bet that Ford will sell every 2011 GT500 that they produced, same thing for the 12's and if I take an average across the board cost of let's say.......$52K, this would include Coupes and Converts. with good options, that will be our $$$ comparision point. For that $52K, plus (not a whole lot more), maybe $8K-$10K, the average new 550 horse GT500 buyer "could" be into a used 725 horse Super Snake. These Super Snakes have been produced for what, 3.5 years now? and the current economy has also been a factor. You don't have to be a "rich guy" to buy/own a Super Snake, but you do have to be of the $$$ means to buy a $55K-$65K car which many guys are, as I said, enough for Ford to sell all that they make.

I am not "rich", I made some wise collector car investments through the years and the most recent gains were from 1998-1999 to 2008. I bought some big block Mach 1's in the $15K-$17K price range, sold them in 2003/2004 for $40K-$50K, reinvested those $$$ into the Cobra R's (1993, 1995, 2000), sold the R's at their higher $$$ point in 2008, and then I paid cash for a new 725 Super Snake. <<Remember, this was a $15K-$17K investment 10 years earlier, I did not know that Ford was going to build a GT500 back then, nor that Shelby was going to offer a Super Snake, but when the car was offered at 700+ horsepower, plus all of the creature comforts, I was in!!

The choice is..................can a buyer who is of the means to buy a new 550 horse GT500 (and many normal guys are), willing to spend those same $$$ with some added, to get into an older low mile 2007-2009 725 Super Snake? The '10's will be in this lower range, and then the 11's, is the buyer willing to wait?

If Shelby would have also offered a "Build your own Super Snake in your garage" option with CSM number, I would have considered that, I like to wrench, but they don't, and there is also a Good reason for that. So in the end, my choices were................have Shelby build me a CSM's Super Snake that has some possibility of future collectablity/value OR spend (piss away) $$$ on a GT500 with added "similar" parts to a Super Snake and in the end sell that car for pennies on the dollar spent. Knowing what I know after 35+ years of collector car experience, I had to pay a little more go with the CSM'ed car. If in the end the $$$ risk does not work out, at least it is nice to sit at a car show, and when the many "average people" walk up to my Super Snake, look it over for a minute or so, and then ask, "is it real?", I can say, "yes". <<This happens often, even the average car guy has heard, or read about a Shelby Super Snake.

On the tought of wrenching................there have been many "upgrades" offered for the Super Snake that were not available on the earlier built cars. These upgrades fit very nicely on the earlier cars and are nice additions. So even now, I am able to wrench on my car when I choose.

R

That is a good point that you have brought up, I'm not a rich guy either.

And for those who are not rich guys, there are options........................

Let's examine the current market GT500 market. I'll bet that Ford will sell every 2011 GT500 that they produced, same thing for the 12's and if I take an average across the board cost of let's say.......$52K, this would include Coupes and Converts. with good options, that will be our $$$ comparision point. For that $52K, plus (not a whole lot more), maybe $8K-$10K, the average new 550 horse GT500 buyer "could" be into a used 725 horse Super Snake. These Super Snakes have been produced for what, 3.5 years now? and the current economy has also been a factor. You don't have to be a "rich guy" to buy/own a Super Snake, but you do have to be of the $$$ means to buy a $55K-$65K car which many guys are, as I said, enough for Ford to sell all that they make.

I am not "rich", I made some wise collector car investments through the years and the most recent gains were from 1998-1999 to 2008. I bought some big block Mach 1's in the $15K-$17K price range, sold them in 2003/2004 for $40K-$50K, reinvested those $$$ into the Cobra R's (1993, 1995, 2000), sold the R's at their higher $$$ point in 2008, and then I paid cash for a new 725 Super Snake. <<Remember, this was a $15K-$17K investment 10 years earlier, I did not know that Ford was going to build a GT500 back then, nor that Shelby was going to offer a Super Snake, but when the car was offered at 700+ horsepower, plus all of the creature comforts, I was in!!

The choice is..................can a buyer who is of the means to buy a new 550 horse GT500 (and many normal guys are), willing to spend those same $$$ with some added, to get into an older low mile 2007-2009 725 Super Snake? The '10's will be in this lower range, and then the 11's, is the buyer willing to wait?

If Shelby would have also offered a "Build your own Super Snake in your garage" option with CSM number, I would have considered that, I like to wrench, but they don't, and there is also a Good reason for that. So in the end, my choices were................have Shelby build me a CSM's Super Snake that has some possibility of future collectablity/value OR spend (piss away) $$$ on a GT500 with added "similar" parts to a Super Snake and in the end sell that car for pennies on the dollar spent. Knowing what I know after 35+ years of collector car experience, I had to pay a little more go with the CSM'ed car. If in the end the $$$ risk does not work out, at least it is nice to sit at a car show, and when the many "average people" walk up to my Super Snake, look it over for a minute or so, and then ask, "is it real?", I can say, "yes". <<This happens often, even the average car guy has heard, or read about a Shelby Super Snake.

On the tought of wrenching................there have been many "upgrades" offered for the Super Snake that were not available on the earlier built cars. These upgrades fit very nicely on the earlier cars and are nice additions. So even now, I am able to wrench on my car when I choose.

R

Just exactly what I think.Original Shelby parts are for those who care its a Shelby SS.And these caretakers are often the richest ones.Well,if you don't really care,doesn't necessarily mean that you're poor,but the fact reflects the passion for "power" and not for the "badge".I admit I come from a middle-class family and can't afford to buy one,but one day if I plan to do it,it won't be about the badge,but the power of my snake's venom,ofcourse,which lies under the hood.So,as my friend Robert has said,the power is what actually matters because many people don't even know about mustangs (In India,rarely anyone recognizes or has heard about a mustang). :finger:

Even then,I'm passionate about a "SuperSnake",just at the age of 17,for 3 years!!!

On a side note,Mr. Robert,I liked your idea of investing.Maybe someday I could get into this type of buisness.

As for the "Build your own SS" option,they've just provided a virtual software to do that on their website.If they provide you with all the original Shelby upgrade components and/or the 'how to' guide,you will soon see all of the Shelby employees begging for pennies on national highways.

Just exactly what I think.Original Shelby parts are for those who care its a Shelby SS.And these caretakers are often the richest ones.Well,if you don't really care,doesn't necessarily mean that you're poor,but the fact reflects the passion for "power" and not for the "badge".I admit I come from a middle-class family and can't afford to buy one,but one day if I plan to do it,it won't be about the badge,but the power of my snake's venom,ofcourse,which lies under the hood.So,as my friend Robert has said,the power is what actually matters because many people don't even know about mustangs (In India,rarely anyone recognizes or has heard about a mustang). :finger:

Even then,I'm passionate about a "SuperSnake",just at the age of 17,for 3 years!!!

On a side note,Mr. Robert,I liked your idea of investing.Maybe someday I could get into this type of buisness.

As for the "Build your own SS" option,they've just provided a virtual software to do that on their website.If they provide you with all the original Shelby upgrade components and/or the 'how to' guide,you will soon see all of the Shelby employees begging for pennies on national highways.

I enjoy both sides, having a unique car and using/enjoying it too.

I also agree that having a non-Super Snake GT500 and buying a something like a correct Super Snake KB for it would be a waste of $$$ when a reugular KB blower of the same size would do the same job.

The problem for the "build your own at home"........................many of the unique Super Snake parts are not available to non-Super Snake owners, the blower for one, the wheels and a few other parts. Do some of these parts slip out into the public from time to time, sure, but because they are few and far between, the price goes up. It is more than a badge and a CSM plate that is unique to the Super Snake.

I also agree that there are GT500's that are much faster in the world and then I would ask the owner, how much $$$ do you have in that 9 second GT500?, does it handle well also? can it do a road course? The Super Snake, as provided by Shelby is not a purpose specific car, unless the purpose is multi-purpose, and then there is always more power that can be gained, even through the SPP catalog.

Yes, in the end it is all about performance. Performance sells, it always has..................Guys like performance! When the car is also "unique", it is just icing on the cake, or should I say $$$ in the bank.

R

@Robert M: What Shelbys do you own currently?

Just the 725 Super Snake....................

019.jpg

The picture below was 4 years ago, those were the good old days, before the market went south...............

Picture945-1.jpg

Picture946.jpg

But in the end, it is nice to not have the hassle of keeping up 5 cars and it was also nice to pay stuff off. I will also admit that after experiencing a 725's acceleration, even the fastest of the 5 SVT Cobra's shown above is slow.

Speaking of unique......in the picture shown above, it is hard to imagine that only 1156 total cars were built of all 5 Cobra's shown. The only thing that sucked.........the R Model's have no A/C in Fla., not to mention no radio or rear seat. Any time I was interested in going to a car show with my family, the R's were out, my wife does shift and the kids had no place to sit.

That is a telephone truck in the background, like I said, I am not a "rich guy" either, I just made wise car investments after years of buying and selling collector cars. I knew what, and when to buy.

R

Oh so cooooooool!! You know what,I seriously think that the Cobras still look more beautiful (like a gorgeous blonde!) than a '11 SuperSnake.And even more,if you modify 'em with matching bodykits.You just keep staring with your tongue wagging and eyes popped out forever.I just imagine it as a girl and I get a boner everytime.I just want to hug and kiss and makeout and take her to bed afterwards and pour all my love on her.SERIOUSLY! She looks gorgeous in red!!! :wub:

Oh so cooooooool!! You know what,I seriously think that the Cobras still look more beautiful (like a gorgeous blonde!) than a '11 SuperSnake.And even more,if you modify 'em with matching bodykits.You just keep staring with your tongue wagging and eyes popped out forever.I just imagine it as a girl and I get a boner everytime.I just want to hug and kiss and makeout and take her to bed afterwards and pour all my love on her.SERIOUSLY! She looks gorgeous in red!!! :wub:

The Red Super Snake that you have pictured in your first post is the best looking 2010-2012 that I have seen, just my opinion of course. I like the dark Alcoa's, I like the choice of black block-off plates instead of body color upper scoops, the car just looks Great, and Red is always a good color. I would like a newer body SS looking like that, it looks very aggressive.

I have the black block-offs for my car. I have contemplated changing to them, if I can figure out how to get the scoops off without paint damage.

Red body color would also help to blend in the hideous 2010-up tail lights.

R

The Red Super Snake that you have pictured in your first post is the best looking 2010-2012 that I have seen, just my opinion of course. I like the dark Alcoa's, I like the choice of black block-off plates instead of body color upper scoops, the car just looks Great, and Red is always a good color. I would like a newer body SS looking like that, it looks very aggressive.

I have the black block-offs for my car. I have contemplated changing to them, if I can figure out how to get the scoops off without paint damage.

R

IMO, the black plates look great. Hope you can figure that one out Robert.

IMG_2813.jpg

IMO, the black plates look great. Hope you can figure that one out Robert.

IMG_2813.jpg

And yes they do^^^^^^^^^^^^!

I was going to do the black plates originally, but then I thought about it and compared the price of each through SPP and decided that I wanted SAI to match the paint on the scoops during the conversion, and I would worry about swapping them to block-offs at a later time. Well, now it seems to be getting close to that "later time". I have even purchased a spare pair of 1/4 windows thinking it may be an option to swap the whole thing, window with scoop for window with block-off, but I am not sure if that is going to be the direction yet.

Did you ever wonder, or know why the black block-offs through SPP have silver/alum. colored rivets on those plates and the Super Snake conversion cars have black rivets?

R

Red body color would also help to blend in the hideous 2010-up tail lights.

R

Thanks.If you notice that one is also in my signature.And I decided that one only because this one was unique.I don't know why but they've shown all the other '11 SSs in Race Red.This one's a cherry-blossom type glow.How can it be? This is the only type distinguished from others.

Archived