TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving SGT into enclosed cargo trailer

Question to those that use an enclosed cargo trailer to transport or store their Shelby - how do you guide your Shelby into the trailer?

I've run out of garage space (wife's truck and golf cart put the Shelby outside) but I have a 8 1/2' x 20' enclosed cargo trailer so that the Shelby doesn't sit outside. The problem is that, as with any 8 1/2' wide trailer, the fender wells are inside which only allows 2 3/4" on the passenger side and 6 1/2" on the drivers side after the car is driven in. Getting out of the car, via the drivers door, is no problem. My problem is making sure that the right side of the car, blind side, doesn't make contact with the metal bender well.

As an intermin solution, I have installed 48" high yellow fiberglass poles on the driver's side for alignment but driving up the ramp and into the trailer is hard due to limited visability.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated .... Don

Question to those that use an enclosed cargo trailer to transport or store their Shelby - how do you guide your Shelby into the trailer?

I've run out of garage space (wife's truck and golf cart put the Shelby outside) but I have a 8 1/2' x 20' enclosed cargo trailer so that the Shelby doesn't sit outside. The problem is that, as with any 8 1/2' wide trailer, the fender wells are inside which only allows 2 3/4" on the passenger side and 6 1/2" on the drivers side after the car is driven in. Getting out of the car, via the drivers door, is no problem. My problem is making sure that the right side of the car, blind side, doesn't make contact with the metal bender well.

As an intermin solution, I have installed 48" high yellow fiberglass poles on the driver's side for alignment but driving up the ramp and into the trailer is hard due to limited visability.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated .... Don

Son or daughter in car and winch it in, done it in the old Interstate, then the Pace, now the unbranded bank repo, used cheapo Harbor Freight winches, or put wife friend in front of trailer with mutually agreed on hand signals, or......... Garage lift time!

Doc Scott

Son or daughter in car and winch it in, done it in the old Interstate, then the Pace, now the unbranded bank repo, used cheapo Harbor Freight winches, or put wife friend in front of trailer with mutually agreed on hand signals, or......... Garage lift time!

Doc Scott

Ditto someone in the trailer and agreed upon signals as you go in slowly.

Good luck,

David

FordFan Bracket and Tow Hook Kit - used with a power or manual winch

When not in use the FRPP "Red" hook is removeable in 2 mins with a 1/2" wrench

P5151453.jpg

P5151446.jpg

FRPP "Red" Hook removed and bracket still onP3010345.jpg

The Mirror Trick is a good one, even one of those cheap Wal Mart framed Door Mirrors will work good..........you could also use the Blue Painters Tape. Put it on the Ramp Door and the Floor where your Drivers Side Tires go. It peels up real easy with out any fuss and will last a while if left inplace.

I just drive mine in and stay as close as you can on the left side. It's a birch to crawl out of, but that's the way it goes. I know were your comming from, I blew a front tire once loading my race car in this trailer(24x8.5) those metal fenders can cut a tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for their input.

I've posted a picture of my current method of driving into my cargo trailer. Those are 48" hign fiberglass hitch alignment posts which have a magnetic base, the posts are held in place by screwing a 1-1/2" washer into the wood base and dropping the posts onto the washer. This method makes the poles movable and will not scratch the paint yet provide a guide to get into the trailer.

The scratches on the ramp are from the previous who used the trailer to move his lowered hot rod.

Again, thank you all for your input and I haven't ruled out the idea of installing a mirror .... Don

SGT in trailer for TS.jpg

SGT in trailer for TS.jpg

Archived