TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WARPED HOOD SCOOP

I hear you! That's why I have ALWAYS said..well..at one point back about two years ago, take it to another shop and pay the difference over the dealer amount Ford gives. So I agree with you. What i don't get is the difference in results. I am in HOT Arkansas! I have had the scoop for about two years. I went through three others....almost every version I think working 1:1 with Amy at the time. I have aftermarket HIGH QUALITY stripes and I have ZERO issues with weeks of 100+ heat or 20's-30's in the winter, and a daily driver.

I'm just trying to find what might be causing this for some but not others.

Frustrating...I REALLY thought this was behind us...maybe it never will be and that's just the way it is!

Had mine done at Tasca last Sept. Replaced stripes as well. No problems so far. Didn't want to pay anything,

so I let the dealer do it. It can be hit or miss with the dealers depending on how many they do (or if someone

different installs it as it is not expertise they keep in house). I've read one issue with a Tasca install, so no one

is immune. At the show last week, I could see various old scoops with minor but different states of deformity.

And my vinyl stripes match just fine now, but I presume all will fade or spot over time, even aftermarket high

quality ones. So if we are all long term owners of these cars, I'm sure we'll eventually have not only build dates

but also painted stripe dates as part of the history. Something to commiserate together.

-Tom

I hear you! That's why I have ALWAYS said..well..at one point back about two years ago, take it to another shop and pay the difference over the dealer amount Ford gives. So I agree with you. What i don't get is the difference in results. I am in HOT Arkansas! I have had the scoop for about two years. I went through three others....almost every version I think working 1:1 with Amy at the time. I have aftermarket HIGH QUALITY stripes and I have ZERO issues with weeks of 100+ heat or 20's-30's in the winter, and a daily driver.

Frustrating...I REALLY thought this was behind us...maybe it never will be and that's just the way it is!

Well I am VERY grateful for your devotion to be pointman on this. But I remember you being adamant about getting a warranty claim at a dealer for the stripes and scoop and pin issue.

My experience was pretty frustrating as it started with the corrosion on hood pin plates and spotty roof stripes and a "burst" at trunk.

I won't go into it here...but I just applied the last front bumper stripe about an hour ago...this project started November 30th 2010, at the Ford dealer.

A real comedy of errors, as I expect a 4 year old car to be right, not almost right. Personality defect probably on my part.

The John Farmer stripes look way better than the originals...amazing that the gloss really helps the cars "pop"...love them. The originals were a duller finish.

Interestingly when I put the scoop on there was some very very slight distortion in 2 spots around the scoop. I thought it was as I made my scoop functional and I have a hole in the hood, or the buildup of varying paint thickness around the rivet holes as my hood had been repainted 3 times attempting to match the color correctly. I left the heater on in my shop set to 72 overnight and today the scoop must have settled in or something, the slight distortion is virtually gone! happy%20feet.gif

I am with you though Jeff, strange that the glass scoop is warping makes no sense...it is a real stout piece of fiberglass...

Next go around for me I am going to paint the stripes on I think...the vynil is a pain. If these last 5 years I will be very happy....I looked at a ZO6 Carbon today and the sales manager proudly showed me the "decal" pack in the trunk....I almost spit out my coffee on the car....:hysterical:

The other thing that got me was that the dealer was going to replace the trunk and hood stripes with new gloss ones and leave the spotty duller roof ones on...asinine.

Frankly I wish I knew who at SA thought that the vynil stripes were a good idea originally...especially the substandard ones....

Best car I ever owned, period, however.happy%20feet.gif

I don't know Jeff, maybe I did not tighten mine down tight enough with the rivet nuts and screws, and that is why it "moved" and wrinkled the stripes. I used a small chrome washer between the screw head and the scoop in hopes of not breaking the paint on the scoop and even that did not work in a few spots...didn't want to crank down on the screws and break the scoop either...she is snug, but apparently not snug enough...it's been well into the 100's here in West Texas, saw 116 just a few days ago on the temp gauge in my wife's GT/CS...you say that you had your stripes replaced as well, I still have original stripes, because they still looked good...at least until after the scoop change... :banghead:

Do these rivit nuts look like a rivit from the top and a nut underneath to tighten them up? If so, what kind of place has them? When I got my hood done, they put some silicone between the hood and the painted stripes (after 2 new scoops) because the scoop did not fit the hood perfectly. It looks real good but we put some nice stainless steel bolts, but I like the look of the rivits better.

Hate hearing about these stories but my new stripes are actually spotting worse than the originals, my hood stripes were replaced when my new hood scoop was installed about a year or so, to date I only have one small wrinkle, oh well, what can you do but enjoy the ride. I also went with the riv nut set up. Here is my wrinkle, maybe wrinkles are part of getting older :hysterical:

0228c352.jpg

5200bfd0.jpg

Well I am VERY grateful for your devotion to be pointman on this. But I remember you being adamant about getting a warranty claim at a dealer for the stripes and scoop and pin issue.

To me it's just such an important characteristic of the car and I just wish we could get a handle on it once and for all....I'm honestly just exhausted with the whole scoop issue i think.

You are correct that I urged anyone with an issue to get a warranty claim, but if you go back and read, I was also adamant about taking the scoop and stripes to a good quality body and auto graphics shop. As I said then the best thing to do, unless you have a REALLY good dealer shop, is to have the dealer pay the Ford install $$$ to the shop of your choice and you pick up any additional cost. Not ideal, but truth is the $$$ Ford gave was VERY low so many dealers, who contracted the work out anyway, did do to the lowest bidder not the best qualified. To me the few extra $$$ out of pocket were cheap insurance. I know I'm going to have to remove the scoop and stripe the car again and I think at that point I'll paint them and be done with it.

There is a big difference between hitting 100+ a few days here and there, and then what West Texas endures.....but even still, I hate to see that happen to any Shelby!

I always liked the look of the SGTs with the deep draw hoods....would almost make sense to just dump the scoop versions and take it in a different direction altogether....

To me it's just such an important characteristic of the car and I just wish we could get a handle on it once and for all....I'm honestly just exhausted with the whole scoop issue i think.

You are correct that I urged anyone with an issue to get a warranty claim, but if you go back and read, I was also adamant about taking the scoop and stripes to a good quality body and auto graphics shop. As I said then the best thing to do, unless you have a REALLY good dealer shop, is to have the dealer pay the Ford install $$$ to the shop of your choice and you pick up any additional cost. Not ideal, but truth is the $$$ Ford gave was VERY low so many dealers, who contracted the work out anyway, did do to the lowest bidder not the best qualified. To me the few extra $$$ out of pocket were cheap insurance. I know I'm going to have to remove the scoop and stripe the car again and I think at that point I'll paint them and be done with it.

It is really a great looking scoop and for me it just makes the car perfect. I went drag racing tonight and my scoop stayed on and thats good enough for me...

I did the stripes and they are not 100% perfect but thats cool...at least now I know what these guys go through replacing them...they do look fantastic however!

post-9886-0-25858900-1307775864_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-61787300-1307775864_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-97551000-1307775864_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-25858900-1307775864_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-61787300-1307775864_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-97551000-1307775864_thumb.jpg

More:

post-9886-0-70188300-1307777730_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-05335900-1307777731_thumb.jpg

Word to the wise...replace the shelby letters on the trunk or use REALLY thin foam otherwise they look like crap...Dealer went that route with 1/8 thick foam sticky tape...no good.

I also found that while the grill is off the car the running horse emblem on the grill can be repainted with duplicolor touch up paint really nice using Ford Supersonic Blue and Ford Red and of course Performance White with a touch up brush...looks 1000 times better than even the replacement emblem after you paint it. Cheers!

So far so good on scoop. Next go around the stripes are getting painted...for me it would be just as big of a pain as using the vynil IMO....but then again this was my first vynil stripe job.

edit: the new hood pins are truly awesome!!!

post-9886-0-70188300-1307777730_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-05335900-1307777731_thumb.jpg

It is really a great looking scoop and for me it just makes the car perfect. I went drag racing tonight and my scoop stayed on and thats good enough for me...

I did the stripes and they are not 100% perfect but thats cool...at least now I know what these guys go through replacing them...they do look fantastic however!

A lot better than many of the "professional" jobs I've seen!

:happy feet:

Hate hearing about these stories but my new stripes are actually spotting worse than the originals, my hood stripes were replaced when my new hood scoop was installed about a year or so, to date I only have one small wrinkle, oh well, what can you do but enjoy the ride. I also went with the riv nut set up. Here is my wrinkle, maybe wrinkles are part of getting older :hysterical:

0228c352.jpg

5200bfd0.jpg

Yep, That is exactly how my stripes look now... :censored:

There is a big difference between hitting 100+ a few days here and there, and then what West Texas endures.....but even still, I hate to see that happen to any Shelby!

I always liked the look of the SGTs with the deep draw hoods....would almost make sense to just dump the scoop versions and take it in a different direction altogether....

Would LOVE to switch to a deep draw hood for my SGT, but the PRICE!!! OMG!!! Other hoods are $400 -$900...Shelby just keeps sticking it to us every chance they get!!! Deep Draw hood should have been a warranty replacement option...

The biggest factor in the scoop/stripe situation is that the hood is aluminum, and actually contracts and expands with temperature differences.

Measure the gap at each fender when cold, then after being in the sun a few hours...

The fiberglass scoop doesn't change the same way, thus...

Jer

FORDROCKS

Was your scoop pre drilled with counter sink?

No, it was done by the installer. Notice the stripes were perfect after the instal but after a year in this blazing Florida heat and serving DD duties the stripes are getting wrinkles near the scoop as posted earlier.

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04650.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

My only complaint, it was not aligned properly, I did not want a re-do of getting a new scoop and time in the shop was a hassle that I don't ever want to go through again, so for now it will stay as is until I can purchase the CS8/deep draw hood.

DSC04659.jpg

No, it was done by the installer. Notice the stripes were perfect after the instal but after a year in this blazing Florida heat and serving DD duties the stripes are getting wrinkles near the scoop as posted earlier.

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04650.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

My only complaint, it was not aligned properly, I did not want a re-do of getting a new scoop and time in the shop was a hassle that I don't ever want to go through again, so for now it will stay as is until I can purchase the CS8/deep draw hood.

DSC04659.jpg

Looks good in pictures. It is very disturbing that after all that the stripes still wrinkle-bummer. Did they have to re paint the scoop after drilling the counter sink? Also-on riv nut installation-are they aluminum so does not cause corrosion problem as with hood pins?

Looks good in pictures. It is very disturbing that after all that the stripes still wrinkle-bummer. Did they have to re paint the scoop after drilling the counter sink? Also-on riv nut installation-are they aluminum so does not cause corrosion problem as with hood pins?

The riv-nuts are aluminum from fastenal. The scoop was painted after the holes were made to match the stripes. Next go around will be painted stripes when the time comes, I am kind of done with exterior items, I don't do shows anymore, I am really into the road course and that my friend will take your mind off of all the cosmetic defects. :shift:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Had mine done at Tasca last Sept. Replaced stripes as well. No problems so far. Didn't want to pay anything,

so I let the dealer do it. It can be hit or miss with the dealers depending on how many they do (or if someone

different installs it as it is not expertise they keep in house). I've read one issue with a Tasca install, so no one

is immune. At the show last week, I could see various old scoops with minor but different states of deformity.

And my vinyl stripes match just fine now, but I presume all will fade or spot over time, even aftermarket high

quality ones. So if we are all long term owners of these cars, I'm sure we'll eventually have not only build dates

but also painted stripe dates as part of the history. Something to commiserate together.

-Tom

Was considering having TASCA apply my new stripes. What was the issue that you had with them. Is it worth the trip from NJ to have it done there? I thought of all places...

The riv-nuts are aluminum from fastenal. The scoop was painted after the holes were made to match the stripes. Next go around will be painted stripes when the time comes, I am kind of done with exterior items, I don't do shows anymore, I am really into the road course and that my friend will take your mind off of all the cosmetic defects. :shift:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Amen brother... I have a cone smudge from one of my autox sessions that I'm keeping to

remind me to not get *that* close.

-Tom

Amen brother... I have a cone smudge from one of my autox sessions that I'm keeping to

remind me to not get *that* close.

-Tom

hysterical.gif

Jer

I still have the original hood scoop. I will wait until I am fed up with it before I go thru the same events everyone has begun.

:play:

If I had it all to do over again, I would get the money together to paint stripes on, get my replacement scoop sent over, then have my favorite body shop do the entire job.

My local dealer hacked my car up so bad, and had the car for months. TRAUMATIC. I still have no idea where I found the restraint NOT to freak out on those guys.

Jer

Was considering having TASCA apply my new stripes. What was the issue that you had with them. Is it worth the trip from NJ to have it done there? I thought of all places...

My one minor issue was the alignment of the stripes with the center stripe on the scoop,

but they fixed it pretty quick. The major issue I had read was on another thread about the

scoop not being installed correctly. Haven't searched for it yet, but you may find it. Point

is, depending on the guy that does the actual job, your mileage may vary. I know that many

other scoops/stripes have turned out just fine. I took the risk because they have done quite

a few and want repeat business (plus I was cheap in wanting the warranty to cover all). The

sure fire way is as Jeff has described.

If I was paying out of pocket for everything, I'd save up for paint or the deep draw hood. Now

that I have the good scoop (and it looks really good on my car... I got a bunch of compliments

from the other old scoop SGT owners at the Carlisle show), when (not if) it becomes time

to deal with the stripes, I'll get the best body shop to paint the stripes and make the hood

"functional".

-Tom

If I had it all to do over again, I would get the money together to paint stripes on, get my replacement scoop sent over, then have my favorite body shop do the entire job.

My local dealer hacked my car up so bad, and had the car for months. TRAUMATIC. I still have no idea where I found the restraint NOT to freak out on those guys.

Jer

Yes, my worry is Who re-does the scoop.

Archived