TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WARPED HOOD SCOOP

Where do I get a replacement hood scope for my 2008 ?....I didnt mind it when it started but it keeps getting worse.....Im looking for the real thing not a clone is shelby offering one ? jim

If the car is still under warranty take it back to Ford they will file the claim and replace it....... If not contact Shelby. There was a thread in here somewhere that dealt solely with the scoop problems, I'll see if I can find it.

Sure I finally have time to search and actually find what I was looking for and 07SGT4578 is quicker with the right stuff!!!! I was going to state in my first post that someone on here was bound to come up with info, because the folks on Team Shelby rock!!!! Thanx Chris

anyway as promised here's a link to the infamous "Hood Scoop Thread" all 19 pages of it..... http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31128-the-hood-scoop-thread/

Sure I finally have time to search and actually find what I was looking for and 07SGT4578 is quicker with the right stuff!!!! I was going to state in my first post that someone on here was bound to come up with info, because the folks on Team Shelby rock!!!! Thanx Chris

anyway as promised here's a link to the infamous "Hood Scoop Thread" all 19 pages of it..... http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31128-the-hood-scoop-thread/

It's still VERY important to read through this thread to better understand the challenges and potential techniques to ensure a smooth replacement.

I suggest you find a shop that has done at least one... Don't let them experiment on your car. The shop that did mind has done over a dozen or more cars, including a few from as far away as MD & VA.

Sure wish someone could tell me how to get the "new" scoop to stop expanding and contracting and wrinkling my stripes!!! I thought that the new one was not supposed to expand and contract since it was made of fiberglass, but mine sure did out here in the West Texas heat and now my stripes look awful at the rear of the scoop and on both sides near the rear....I used the rivet nut method to attach the new scoop....Not real happy now....

The only way to fix the hood scoop-stripe problem for good is to paint the stripes. If someone wants a set of the latest hood stripes, let me know, I have a set I will let go cheap!!!

Sure wish someone could tell me how to get the "new" scoop to stop expanding and contracting and wrinkling my stripes!!! I thought that the new one was not supposed to expand and contract since it was made of fiberglass, but mine sure did out here in the West Texas heat and now my stripes look awful at the rear of the scoop and on both sides near the rear....I used the rivet nut method to attach the new scoop....Not real happy now....

Strange....not seeing that issue here a few miles to your east in AR. 100+ degree days, at the two year point, and no issues.

I'd say someone screwed up and sent an older gen scoop. My glass scoop has tolerated 110*F+ days and 20*F nights without warping, stretching, contracting a bit. Is your car still under warranty? Anyone know what SA is selling the new scoop for to people out of warranty?

I've seen Carl's stripes and scoop, it's the right scoop, and the stripes are pinching around the scoop. It may not be the scoop moving, but the vinyl could be. My stripes have a small pinch that only appeared here in the last few months and nearly a year after the new scoop was installed.

No issue here w/ wrinkling either, but when I got my new scoop I also got the improved stripes...so that my have something to do with it....

Seems like a good solution to this ongoing problem would be a fiberglass hood with the scoop molded in (fake rivets and all). Maybe the market for such an animal is too limited.

I'd say someone screwed up and sent an older gen scoop. My glass scoop has tolerated 110*F+ days and 20*F nights without warping, stretching, contracting a bit. Is your car still under warranty? Anyone know what SA is selling the new scoop for to people out of warranty?

$170.00 Last time I heard.

Funny that's what I was thinking!

I am in process reinstalling new scoop and new version of stripes...

What is new version of stripes? I am planning to replace mine when finished with install of new scoop. Wendy at SA said they were the same as originals.

Do you have an 07 or an 08? If you have an 08 they are the same, if you have an 07, they ARE different.

No issue here w/ wrinkling either, but when I got my new scoop I also got the improved stripes...so that my have something to do with it....

Actually the improved "thicker" stripes are part of the problem. When the scoop moves it digs into the thicker 08 stripes more than the thiner 07 stripes.

So actually you're proving the new scoop doesn't expand and contract like the old one did.

I've seen Carl's stripes and scoop, it's the right scoop, and the stripes are pinching around the scoop. It may not be the scoop moving, but the vinyl could be. My stripes have a small pinch that only appeared here in the last few months and nearly a year after the new scoop was installed.

How can you tell externally it's the new scoop? I had all three versions, maybe even a test 4th, and there's no way I can see a difference other than looking under the scoop. If there is a way to tell just looking I'd be interested to know! The concern here is that it's just as hot over here in AR and my car is pretty much a daily driver now and after two years and two 100+ summers, thick stripes, I'm good to go. So we're trying to figure out why his experience would be different than others in similar situations.

I am in process reinstalling new scoop and new version of stripes...

What is new version of stripes? I am planning to replace mine when finished with install of new scoop. Wendy at SA said they were the same as originals.

hi Im jim didnt you have to send your old scope back before they sent you a new one ? if so how long did it take ? This is not the time of the year to be with out one thats more of a winter project when the cruse in are over ......jim

hi Im jim didnt you have to send your old scope back before they sent you a new one ? if so how long did it take ? This is not the time of the year to be with out one thats more of a winter project when the cruse in are over ......jim

I could be wrong but I personally think it's the vinyl stripes that are major contributors to the warping issue, I mean think about it, it's like shrinkrapping something to the hood. Not that the plastic breathes well as it is but the vinyl makes it worse. My stripes were removed and painted on at the dealer before it was sold. My scoop is the original, it has some barely noticable warping (I'll post a pic when i return from travel) it's been in the sun not only last summer but quite a bit so far this year. I believe that my scoop hasn't warped like his or the rest so far because the stripes aren't vinyl, and the vinyl stripes are insulating the heat between the two. I saw Jims a few weeks ago at a cruise in an it has some big time warping to it. Maybe, maybe not just my thoughts on it. I'm sure Jim could post a pic of his to show how bad it is.

Jeff

How can you tell externally it's the new scoop? I had all three versions, maybe even a test 4th, and there's no way I can see a difference other than looking under the scoop. If there is a way to tell just looking I'd be interested to know! The concern here is that it's just as hot over here in AR and my car is pretty much a daily driver now and after two years and two 100+ summers, thick stripes, I'm good to go. So we're trying to figure out why his experience would be different than others in similar situations.

Should be easy to tell on or off the car...last version is Fiberglass the other ones are urethane....glass ones have pop rivets all the way around holding them on. I own 2 glass ones and they are both different...I was assuming it was just a production change as the only difference is the reinforcing material visible from the inside, and one has a SA production sticker inside .Also the glass ones are not as symettrical to an observant eye as the machine molded urethane ones are. Glass ones are handmade.

I put scoop on over the newest stripe material last night. The stripe and scoop issue once you are in it is a process...:banghead:

Best thoughts for anyone riding that train...

I looked at a new Corvette today...:hysterical:

I have the latest version fiberglass scoop...I waited until right before my warranty ran out in February to get the hood scoop replaced in hopes of not having any issues after the replacement...Dealer pinched the hood and bent it on both sides, I had to fix that myself, and then the stripes started wrinkling....I used the Rivet Nut attachment method, but wouldn't think that would make any difference in the install...I'm just dissapointed that I waited so long and my original scoop was not really bad at all, just had the little dip in it, but it sat flush for almost 3 years...now, my stripes look awful....I could probably get it taken care of through warranty since I started all of this before the warranty ran out, but kind of wonder if it would be worth it really...

I just drive fast......................that way no one has time to look at the scoop!

:hysterical:

Motorjock, that is discouraging news...

Jeff- Hate to say I told you so but I told you so in 07 having a dealer fix this problem is a real longshot.

Good luck all...

I hear you! That's why I have ALWAYS said..well..at one point back about two years ago, take it to another shop and pay the difference over the dealer amount Ford gives. So I agree with you. What i don't get is the difference in results. I am in HOT Arkansas! I have had the scoop for about two years. I went through three others....almost every version I think working 1:1 with Amy at the time. I have aftermarket HIGH QUALITY stripes and I have ZERO issues with weeks of 100+ heat or 20's-30's in the winter, and a daily driver.

I'm just trying to find what might be causing this for some but not others.

Frustrating...I REALLY thought this was behind us...maybe it never will be and that's just the way it is!

Archived