TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel cap upgrade.

So I went to my vehicle this morning and noticed a little yellow puddle at the driver's rear tire. At first I was a bit worried thinking it may be brake fluid from the road course event, however, I dipped my finger into it did not smell like brake fluid, it smelled like urine. I sure hope it was urine from a cat or dog and not from a human.

I work in the health care field so it did smell like human urine. Anyway, I though the worse case scenario that someone might of urinated in my gas tank, who knows.

So, I went to my local auto parts store and bought a locking fuel cap for $20. I suggest it to anyone that lives in a condo or apt building. Yes we cameras and roving security in my condo but as usual, no has seen anything.

I was only at a quarter tank from Sebring so I went to top of and will drive her slowly until all is gone and then refuel again. I hope it was a lost dog or cat but who knows, I've been getting dirty looks ever since I installed those SLP loud mouths. So point of this is to get a locking cap for peace of mind.

a25bc504.jpg

db588cb1.jpg

b57eb4fd.jpg

hmmmmm, was there any residue inside the filler door area? any streaks down the paint? Definitely sucks if someone did that, but I do have to laugh that you put your finger in it though.... :)

I couldn't tell if there were any residue because the car was filthy. I was planning on washing my car today, it was still dirty from the Sebring event. It sucks having to share a open space with others. I can't wait to buy a house again. My said looked at me funny when I told her I put my finger in it to smell it.

Really? You put your finger in an unknown substance???:banghead:

Keep an eye on your check engine light. I had put a locking gas cap on a couple of years ago when gas here went up and

cars were getting their tanks drained. After a couple months of having the cap on the light came on. I put the original cap back in place

and the light went out. Bought another locking cap and had the same issue after a few months. Back went the original cap and the

check engine light went out. I asked the service rep about this and he said it has been an issue with other mustangs too. No real

answer from him as to why though.

CC

Keep an eye on your check engine light. I had put a locking gas cap on a couple of years ago when gas here went up and

cars were getting their tanks drained. After a couple months of having the cap on the light came on. I put the original cap back in place

and the light went out. Bought another locking cap and had the same issue after a few months. Back went the original cap and the

check engine light went out. I asked the service rep about this and he said it has been an issue with other mustangs too. No real

CC

I hope all of my pre and post deployment immunizations will protect me from anything, lol.

Thanks for the tip though about the check engine light. I still have the oem cap just incase.

CC

I had the same problem as you with gas caps put 2 locking caps on the expedition and shelby. I didn't get a check engine light but the wife truck wouldn't pass inspection so the dealer put back the factory one and problem solved.

I would buy the Ford locking gas cap that allows for the proper pressure vent.

Motorcraft 8L3Z-9030-E

I did, and it was worth the price just because of the two-sided key: you don't have to figure out which edge goes which way, just like your ignition key!

Archived