TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I finally broke down and bought it

I was going to ask you if you had changed anything with the new setup...but figured I'd just search for answers. So other than plugs...your car didn't need anything else changed to handle the additional power?

Nope...just the plugs. I did install a 170 thermostat, but that's only becasue it's 115 degrees out here in the summer. I'll put the stocker back in when winter rolls around. I also toyed with the idea of getting a larger throttle body but those things are $600 and the 15 or 20 hp it provides just doesn't seem to offset the price. Maybe if i get impulsive some day...

That's the beauty of the FRPP TVS, it's plug & play.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have run the VMP TVS with a 2.5 pulley and 10% or 15% lower with no problems. This put you up around 19-20psi, which is about the max safe limit for the stock engine. If you don't want to go that high, my TVS will make 17psi right out of the box with a stock lower, no pulley changes required.

The Ford Racing TVS is a great deal, they won't last, my sources indicate FRPP is blowing out their inventory and will only continue to carry the Whipple blowers. However, if you factor the costs to bring the FRPP TVS near VMP spec (2.6 pulley and high flow elbow) you are close to the cost of a new VMP TVS, which has all of that done at time of manufacturing including CNC port job on the inlet opening, and comes warrantied for 1 year with all those mods already done.

The Ford Racing TVS is a great deal, they won't last, my sources indicate FRPP is blowing out their inventory and will only continue to carry the Whipple blowers.

Hi Justin - I am confused...I thought you used the FRPP TVS as a starting point for your product? Does that mean you will no longer be making them in the future when Ford stops production?

Hi Justin - I am confused...I thought you used the FRPP TVS as a starting point for your product? Does that mean you will no longer be making them in the future when Ford stops production?

Justin will continue to make these in the future after Ford stops production.

The problem now is that he almost can't keep up with the demand.

I have a question about the TVS s/c upgrade....why is it necessary ???? I'm not kidding..I must be missing something here or I just don't have enough knowledge about these applications.

I have a 2010 GT-500 and I first installed a 2.6 pulley, idler and mild Jon Lund tune which produced 568 rwhp.

That investment was approximately $1,200.00 installed.

I have ordered 373 gears, a 2011 dual pass h/e and the large volume reservoir and the M-5230-SA mufflers again total investment about $1,200.00 less installation but I should be able to tweak about 40 to 50 more hp.

so...for argument sake...at the end of the day...(actually within a week or so..lol ) I should have roughly 575 + rwhp, good gears out of the hole and enough cooling to keep heat soak at bay for a little play time.

All for under $3,000.00 installed give or take....

So...this is a serious question because I really don't know the answer....does the TVS run more efficient, cooler, different power band..????

If I couldn't get any hp increase from stock then I would completely agree with the upgrade but...

If you can achieve similar numbers and hp gains with stock but increase intercooler size, reservoir size and diff ratio for less than a TVS upgrade what is the logic behind this mod ?

Feed me guys...

I need some feedback...

I have a question about the TVS s/c upgrade....why is it necessary ???? I'm not kidding..I must be missing something here or I just don't have enough knowledge about these applications.

I have a 2010 GT-500 and I first installed a 2.6 pulley, idler and mild Jon Lund tune which produced 568 rwhp.

That investment was approximately $1,200.00 installed.

I have ordered 373 gears, a 2011 dual pass h/e and the large volume reservoir and the M-5230-SA mufflers again total investment about $1,200.00 less installation but I should be able to tweak about 40 to 50 more hp.

so...for argument sake...at the end of the day...(actually within a week or so..lol ) I should have roughly 575 + rwhp, good gears out of the hole and enough cooling to keep heat soak at bay for a little play time.

All for under $3,000.00 installed give or take....

So...this is a serious question because I really don't know the answer....does the TVS run more efficient, cooler, different power band..????

If I couldn't get any hp increase from stock then I would completely agree with the upgrade but...

If you can achieve similar numbers and hp gains with stock but increase intercooler size, reservoir size and diff ratio for less than a TVS upgrade what is the logic behind this mod ?

Feed me guys...

I need some feedback...

Yes the TVS is MUCH more efficient than the M122. Reasons? 1) 4 lobe rotors with 160* twist. 2) 200cc more displacement 3) Better design. If you turn them over and put both side by side you'll see how much larger the inlet is on the TVS. Higher boost numbers with a pulied M122 is accomplished by spinning the blower faster, generating more heat (not efficient). The TVS does it by its design, which is inherently more efficient.

Regarding power band, I can tell you there is a large difference in how the torque comes on. Torque in the TVS hits like a hammer at low RPM's.

Why spend the extra money? It's not about the numbers; It's about efficiency.

There was a post here awhile back (at least I thought it was here but can't seem to find it now) comparing blower efficencies at various boost levels. Anyway, if I recall correctly from that, even at the same boost level of 12 pounds a TVS makes about 40-50hp more than a pullied M122. And of course there's a lot more room to grow with the TVS.

Yes the TVS is MUCH more efficient than the M122. Reasons? 1) 4 lobe rotors with 160* twist. 2) 200cc more displacement 3) Better design. If you turn them over and put both side by side you'll see how much larger the inlet is on the TVS. Higher boost numbers with a pulied M122 is accomplished by spinning the blower faster, generating more heat (not efficient). The TVS does it by its design, which is inherently more efficient.

Regarding power band, I can tell you there is a large difference in how the torque comes on. Torque in the TVS hits like a hammer at low RPM's.

Why spend the extra money? It's not about the numbers; It's about efficiency.

Thank you for the reply,very informative

I figured there had to be something to it as so many are making this change but looking at similar hp numbers up front I wasn't sure there was a real cost benefit and not just a follow the leader scenario.

By having a higher efficiency rate by design it keeps the air cooler and useable power up.

I could see a real benefit from this if you race or track the car for sure but as a grocery getter It wouldn't do much for me.

The power this car has now scares the crap out of me if it breaks loose unexpectedly...any more efficient and I'd have a freakin heart attack...lol

but as a grocery getter It wouldn't do much for me.

Most people wouldn't buy buy a supercharged Shelby GT500 as a grocery getter.

The everage owner buys the car and loves the power but more is always better.

If you like your 575ish HP you would LOVE 675+ HP especially with a huge jump in on demand massive amounts of torque.

I occasionally drive Justins GT500.

His power is well over 800.

The power is intoxicating especially for such a civil car at normal driving.

If you like your 575ish HP you would LOVE 675+ HP especially with a huge jump in on demand massive amounts of torque.

Lucky bum....

Ohhhh... don't get me wrong...I love this car and I drive it every chance I get...groceries is just another excuse to drive somewhere..lol..

I love the rush of raw power but with the traction loc fully off it can get a little squirrely sometimes when the foot gets a little heavy.

I don't know about more added power but I guess you do have a point considering I've already increased the FWHP 20+ % over stock and I'm sure if I drove a bone stock 2010 now I would notice a big difference.

You adjust as you go along I suppose but I don't know how you would even keep 800 hp in one of these beasts on the road, that would be a rush enough for me..trying not to get airborne...lol..

Ohhhh... don't get me wrong...I love this car and I drive it every chance I get...groceries is just another excuse to drive somewhere..lol..

I love the rush of raw power but with the traction loc fully off it can get a little squirrely sometimes when the foot gets a little heavy.

I don't know about more added power but I guess you do have a point considering I've already increased the FWHP 20+ % over stock and I'm sure if I drove a bone stock 2010 now I would notice a big difference.

You adjust as you go along I suppose but I don't know how you would even keep 800 hp in one of these beasts on the road, that would be a rush enough for me..trying not to get airborne...lol..

I have had my 03 Cobra vert for 7 years. It started out at 390 and I'm up to 675 using on of Justin Terminator TVS.

There has been many upgrades along the way. Each time I added power I couldn't believe how fast it was.

I find it strange how fast you get used to the power and always want more.

The great thing is there are ways to add power each time the addiction hits.

The only way to keep Justins GT500 on the road is throttle control and holding on for dear life!

Hi Guys, just one more bit of information. I have a 2009 GT500 which I have been slowly moding. Most recently I had a stock blower with the FRPP CAI and VMP tune. The car ran the quarter mile in 12.009 @ 116.49 mph. Also the car was able to run similar times back to back. Like a lot of you I saw the great prices on the TVS and bit the bullet. Off came the stock supercharger and on went the TVS with the FRPP tune that came with it. The car ran a best time of 11.83 @ 119.76 in virtually identical weather conditons about 89 degrees at the same track (Infineon Raceway). So if I can make a comparison the car gained about 20 - 25 additional horsepower which is great. Here is the bad part. The car heat soaked with the TVS and my next run which was only 20 minutes later was a 12.09 @ 115.72. In other words I lost 4 mph. Some of you may be thinking other factors were at play here but the runs were pretty much identical in every regard.

I guess I mention all of this because I was surprised by the heat soak. In fact that is one of the reasons I bought the TVS as opposed to Justin's (VMP's) pulley and tune. I figured the TVS being more effiecient would not heat soak like a stock supercharger being oversped. So with my experience so far it looks like the FRPP CAI and VMP tune is a wonderful option for those who don't want to spend a bunch of money. It looks like after spending $3172 for the supercharger and $200 more to have it installed, I will now have to buy an upgraded heat exchanger for $700 to $800 and pay to have it installed.

Has any one else had a similar experience?

I am a new Team Shelby member. This is post #1.

I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 convertible.

I am very interested in the FRPP 2.3 TVS as the OP described. In the description it is listed as 2010 only.

Will this work on a 2011?

My apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thank You,

Sean

I am a new Team Shelby member. This is post #1.

I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 convertible.

I am very interested in the FRPP 2.3 TVS as the OP described. In the description it is listed as 2010 only.

Will this work on a 2011?

My apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thank You,

Sean

Welcome to TS! I know it's a cliché but there's no such thing as a dumb question.

Ford Racing discontinued the TVS kit (which includes the Procal tuner and FRPP tune) for 2011. The only FRPP kit you can get for 2011+ is the 750hp 2.9 Whipple. If you want to go with a TVS VMP has a killer combination that includes a TVS, 2.5 pulley, and match ported elbow.

Hope this helps...

Welcome to TS! I know it's a cliché but there's no such thing as a dumb question.

Ford Racing discontinued the TVS kit (which includes the Procal tuner and FRPP tune) for 2011. The only FRPP kit you can get for 2011+ is the 750hp 2.9 Whipple. If you want to go with a TVS VMP has a killer combination that includes a TVS, 2.5 pulley, and match ported elbow.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the tolerance to new guy questions. Similar to no bad beer, just some better than others.

Stinks that FRPP is discontinuing the option for 2011.

Hopefully I can provide remote tech support for your install, I'm about 6 hours south of you. But I did this three times because of fault of my own, so I can do the entire job in about 2 hours now. It very easy, take your time and don't pull the last vacuum line that goes to the side of your mass air tube. If you break the nipple it connects to you have to take the blower all the way off. Also be careful, as the instructions say something like 221 lbs of TORQUE. That is WAY WRONG. It's 18FT lbs according to a call to Ford Racing.

In florida the HE is mandatory even on a factory car, in out of the boost will provide less power without out. The VMP tune and pulley are the way to go. You'll love the driveability, all the stock one will work for now until you feel the need for more power :) You will love the lower torque of the blower compare to stock.. It's alot like the rocking roller coaster at Disney Studios! Now, if it would only hook on 20's.. :)

I posted some questions on another site and got the wisen-heimer response.... Also thinking about the TVS up-grade for my 09 Vert. I currently have the FRPP Procal Tuner, Tune, Cai, and KR Axle-backs, 500/473 Wheel, Sae.

OK, some questions.,,,,I'm in S. Ca. and we only have 91 Octane "Premium"...

1. Pulley, Idler, and a Re-tune for my Eaton, from VMP, gets me to 530-545 Wheel....right??

2..FRPP TVS Kit / Tune is 605 HP Crank, say 550-565 [tops] Rwhp, right???

3. VMP kit has the same TVS Blower, a smaller pulley, a hi-flow inlet elbow, and a Custom Tune, etc. Puts down 630 -670 Rwhp, with apparently no other up-grades needed....Hmm, well help me understand the big diff. in the numbers.

Could I in fact run 17 lbs. of Boost on 91 Octane??? No replacement Injectors, Pumps, Bap, Maf or Mafia needed, right... { I came over from the Terminator side, and we became very familiar with these extra Mods}

If i have the numbers correct, the # 2 Frpp Blower Kit makes no sense, over $ 3000.00 for 20-25 Rwhp....

Thanx!!!!

Could I in fact run 17 lbs. of Boost on 91 Octane??? No replacement Injectors, Pumps, Bap, Maf or Mafia needed, right... { I came over from the Terminator side, and we became very familiar with these extra Mods}

If i have the numbers correct, the # 2 Frpp Blower Kit makes no sense, over $ 3000.00 for 20-25 Rwhp....

Thanx!!!!

Ive got the VMP TVS kit and its runs great with the 91 octane tune Justin loaded for me. no fuel system upgrades. 643hp/665tq. I've got an L&M 72MM throttle body that will be going in next month and I picked up some 72# injectors to go in at that point.

I posted some questions on another site and got the wisen-heimer response.... Also thinking about the TVS up-grade for my 09 Vert. I currently have the FRPP Procal Tuner, Tune, Cai, and KR Axle-backs, 500/473 Wheel, Sae.

OK, some questions.,,,,I'm in S. Ca. and we only have 91 Octane "Premium"...

1. Pulley, Idler, and a Re-tune for my Eaton, from VMP, gets me to 530-545 Wheel....right??

Yes those numbers are right about where you'd be.

2..FRPP TVS Kit / Tune is 605 HP Crank, say 550-565 [tops] Rwhp, right???

On the money again. I had that exact set-up on my 08 and got 560whp.543tq SAE. Keep in mind there's lots of variables and number vary from dyno to dyno. Mine was a Dynojet on a 95deg day.

3. VMP kit has the same TVS Blower, a smaller pulley, a hi-flow inlet elbow, and a Custom Tune, etc. Puts down 630 -670 Rwhp, with apparently no other up-grades needed....Hmm, well help me understand the big diff. in the numbers.

Your FRPP 605 TVS kit comes with a 3" pulley and very conservative tune (especially on 07-09 with no knock sensors.) WIth the VMP you answered your own question 2.5 pulley yields 17psi, high flow inlet is good for another 20 hp, and much better performance tune all add up to the numbers you indicated.

Yes yes and yes. Just let your tuner know you only have 91. The great thing about a TVS is there's no supporting mods required.

If you're talking strictly numbers, OK. But ask anyone who wons a TVS...power comes on differently and is a torque monster. (I got out of shape in 4th gear the other day.) TVS is MUCH more efficient and has tons of potential.

Thanx!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the IW installed you really need to go with the non-VMP TVS else you run the risk of too much boast (if there is such a thing).

If you are worried about too much boost with a 10% or 15% OD lower, I now have a version of the VMP TVS with interchangeable upper pulleys, in 2.5", 2.75", and 3" sizes:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=463&parent=103

vmpgt500tvsic.jpg

Heck, even with my tune, it will pass as I keep all emissions systems turned on.

That is good to know.... Is your TVS carb legal? I may retire in Ca so I want to make sure my car will be able to pass and all parts have to be carb legal for that to happen... Thanks for all your help....

V/R,

James A. Stalnaker

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the fence about the 2.3 TVS for years....literally. It just seemed too expensive..... Well FRPP dropped the price and BUYFORDRACING.com had them on sale with free shipping....

I ran out of excuses and pulled the trigger.... :shift:

$3100.00 out the door for the M-6066-SGT 605HP kit......WOW!!!! :happy feet:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/2007-%252d-2009-MUSTANG-SVT-605-HP-SUPERCHARGER-UPGRADE-KIT.html

This should be fun!

You'll enjoy the TVS, I installed mine in about 90 minutes. But I got your price beat, $2610 with free shipping!!! Found it on ebay, was such a killer deal I jump off the fence and grabbed it. Enjoy

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, just one more bit of information. I have a 2009 GT500 which I have been slowly moding. Most recently I had a stock blower with the FRPP CAI and VMP tune. The car ran the quarter mile in 12.009 @ 116.49 mph. Also the car was able to run similar times back to back. Like a lot of you I saw the great prices on the TVS and bit the bullet. Off came the stock supercharger and on went the TVS with the FRPP tune that came with it. The car ran a best time of 11.83 @ 119.76 in virtually identical weather conditons about 89 degrees at the same track (Infineon Raceway). So if I can make a comparison the car gained about 20 - 25 additional horsepower which is great. Here is the bad part. The car heat soaked with the TVS and my next run which was only 20 minutes later was a 12.09 @ 115.72. In other words I lost 4 mph. Some of you may be thinking other factors were at play here but the runs were pretty much identical in every regard.

I guess I mention all of this because I was surprised by the heat soak. In fact that is one of the reasons I bought the TVS as opposed to Justin's (VMP's) pulley and tune. I figured the TVS being more effiecient would not heat soak like a stock supercharger being oversped. So with my experience so far it looks like the FRPP CAI and VMP tune is a wonderful option for those who don't want to spend a bunch of money. It looks like after spending $3172 for the supercharger and $200 more to have it installed, I will now have to buy an upgraded heat exchanger for $700 to $800 and pay to have it installed.

Has any one else had a similar experience?

Thanks for sharing, great information!

Cheers,

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Archived