TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track day at Sebring - Everyone was using about 1/4 tank of fuel per session, but my guage dropped to 3/4 tank and stayed there through at least 4 sessions. Toward the end of the day, I got worried and went and fueled up - with some difficulty, as I experienced the "put fuel in at a trickle or else the pump will instantly shut-off" problem. I thought this might be related to the g-forces and resultant sloshing of fuel in the tank and left it at that. Yesterday, after arriving home, unpacking, unloading and cleaning the car, I started up and noticed the fuel gauge indicated 1/4 tank. OK, so I'll go get gas. On the way to the station, the gauge moved up to indicate 1/2 tank! Weird, it's never done that before! On to the station and I filled up, (about 1/2 tanks worth) and when I started the car, the gauge read 3/4 tank! So, I ran a couple of errands, and the next time I started up, it showed a full tank - truly bizarre! I'm sitting here wondering what it will read next and if it's all related to the "track antics"!?

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

Sam

My gauge would only go up to 3/4 when I first got it out of storage this year... It corrected itself fairly quickly, but I was a little worried too....

In my case, I think the SGT is in a state of shock after it's first track event! :hysterical:

I'll see if it straightens itself out!

Sam

With supercharged cars you shoud never have the car on the track below a 1/2 of a tank. If you ever get down to a 1/4 tank on the track you should pull off the track and fill it up. I never go below a 1/2 tank on the track. Gary Patterson told me this the very first time I tracked my car at Tulsa. He said going below a 1/4 tank is asking for your engine to blow up. I would assume this info would also apply to N/A cars as well.

I have had similar issues after tracking my 06 GT. You have probably dislodged some gunk in the tank from the sloshing of fuel in the tank under cornering.

My solution was a bottle of Greased Lightning fuel system treatment. The stuff is amazing and resolved the issue.

Archived