TEAM SHELBY FORUM

belt slip issue

KR158

Took the car out this weekend and was having lots of belt slip issues. In 2nd gear was fine but around 5k plus in 3rd would get the belt noise and lose boost and car would fall on its face until I grabbed fourth. I am running the vmp tvs with 10% lower and never had the issue the last 2-3 times out since install. Also running the 90mm idler Justin sells. Car has maybe 500 miles on new set up and 3k total on belt etc. Any ideas or help would be great. Want to add more power with JLT cai and longtubes but fear it will only make belt issue worse.

Running such a small upper pulley as a 2.5 is most likely the reason for the belt slippage. There's just not enough "belt wrap" considering the power demands put on it. IMO anything smaller than a 2.7 or maybe even a 2.8 will result in shortened belt life due to inadaquate belt wrap leading to permature belt slippage which results in excessive wear on the belt.

VMP is now selling a better belt that was featured in one of the Mustang magazines this month. I believe it's called a green belt or something. It is supposed to address the very issue you are having.

• 4 years later...

Running such a small upper pulley as a 2.5 is most likely the reason for the belt slippage. There's just not enough "belt wrap" considering the power demands put on it. IMO anything smaller than a 2.7 or maybe even a 2.8 will result in shortened belt life due to inadaquate belt wrap leading to permature belt slippage which results in excessive wear on the belt.

is this your opinion or is it backed by facts? there are an awful lot of folks running upper pulleys smaller than 2.7".

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car out this weekend and was having lots of belt slip issues. In 2nd gear was fine but around 5k plus in 3rd would get the belt noise and lose boost and car would fall on its face until I grabbed fourth. I am running the vmp tvs with 10% lower and never had the issue the last 2-3 times out since install. Also running the 90mm idler Justin sells. Car has maybe 500 miles on new set up and 3k total on belt etc. Any ideas or help would be great. Want to add more power with JLT cai and longtubes but fear it will only make belt issue worse.

Scroll down in the belt length guide linked below to verify the correct belt length for your S/C pulley combination.

http://www.revanracing.com/products/gates-belts.html

You should be able to identify what belt number is currently on your car, and compare with what is listed in the link above.............if your pulley combination is listed.

R

• 2 months later...

Archived