TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Touchless Carwash"

BoneDoc

Guys and Gals:

I like to wash my car. alot.

I know I do not need to explain to you all... as many of you suffer the same affliction.

On occasion, though..... the car gets a bit dusty and I am tempted to drive through one of those "touchless" car washes at the gas station when I fill up.

Now, I would NEVER take my car through a conventional car wash system (for obvious reasons).......

Can anyone tell me if going through "touchless" carwash system is bad for the car and why?

Thanks in advance to everybody

Guys and Gals:

I know I do not need to explain to you all... as many of you suffer the same affliction.

On occasion, though..... the car gets a bit dusty and I am tempted to drive through one of those "touchless" car washes at the gas station when I fill up.

Now, I would NEVER take my car through a conventional car wash system (for obvious reasons).......

Can anyone tell me if going through "touchless" carwash system is bad for the car and why?

I know someone local who has a v6, pony pack... the touchless car wash ate their side stripe on their second trip through. Took a few big chunks out of it.

Having asked around, I've heard of a few others (all v6's) who've had the same experience. The side stripe gets chewed up on occasion.

Don't have any direct experience on the GT500, though.

- Tony

I know someone local who has a v6, pony pack... the touchless car wash ate their side stripe on their second trip through. Took a few big chunks out of it.

Having asked around, I've heard of a few others (all v6's) who've had the same experience. The side stripe gets chewed up on occasion.

Don't have any direct experience on the GT500, though.

- Tony

Tony-

was that water pressure that damaged the stripes... or did the rotating "spray nozzels" hit the car?

Guys and Gals:

I made that mistake once, 5 years ago it scuffed a rim very bad. :stop:

A neighbor owns one of these. He told me once:

In order for the car to get as clean as possible it needs to use strong detergents (think your dishwasher - same principle) and high water pressure. In older cars and verts the pressure can make the water go where you don't want it (inside the car).

I HAVE seen stripes get pulled/cut due to the water pressure if it's just right (usually where it starts on a body panel).

If dusty, use one of those good car dusters - works great.

post-2704-1174186245_thumb.jpg

If dirty, hand was like it was your newborn.

post-2704-1174186245_thumb.jpg

I have had my shelby in a touchless wash so many times it isnt even funny. (Not the type where there is a rail for you to drive thru, I wont have that!) I have had ZERO problems with the wash system PERIOD. This is my experience from my countless times in a touchless wash with my fullly striped Shelby. The stripes still look as though I picked it up today.

Its great to give an opinion, But make sure its known that its "your opinon" vs. your experience with your GT500.

Guys and Gals:

The touchless car washes are putting out in excess of 1000 psi (pounds per square inch) pressure at the nozzels. Along with the nearly caustic detergents (and they are caustic non diluted), I wouldn't run an armerded vehicle thru one let alone my personel car. Thoes that have never had a problem are living a charmed life and probably using an older or nonmaintained carwash with less pressure than spec. :rolleyes: Just my thoughts. :rolleyes:

The touchless car washes are putting out in excess of 1000 psi (pounds per square inch) pressure at the nozzels. Along with the nearly caustic detergents (and they are caustic non diluted), I wouldn't run an armerded vehicle thru one let alone my personel car. Thoes that have never had a problem are living a charmed life and probably using an older or nonmaintained carwash with less pressure than spec. :rolleyes: Just my thoughts. :rolleyes:

On that note, usually they have someone who will be drying your car...wearing jewelry, using soiled rags etc. which equal scratches.

I have had my shelby in a touchless wash so many times it isnt even funny. (Not the type where there is a rail for you to drive thru, I wont have that!) I have had ZERO problems with the wash system PERIOD. This is my experience from my countless times in a touchless wash with my fullly striped Shelby. The stripes still look as though I picked it up today.

Its great to give an opinion, But make sure its known that its "your opinon" vs. your experience with your GT500.

Roger that.

I asked the same question when I got my '07 V6, and got the answer I posted above. Actual side stripe damage, from more then one person who owned a V6. But it's clearly no GT500. So I'll continue to wash it by hand, since it's no GT500.

:doh:

As for the question on if it was the nozzles hitting it, or the water pressure, the one girl who's I've seen up close had no scratching - it was either the water pressure, or the blow dryer thing at the end. It peeled the stripe back right at the seams, and around the letters.

- Tony

Im not pointing fingers here guys. Or trying to give people a virtual "b@%#h slap", No sir. I was a wee bit tired when I made that post last night and obviously did'nt feel that it was on the harsh side.

There must be a difference from the V6 stripe package and the shelby in the tape (Im not knocking any level of Mustang FWIW, Ive driven all 3 levels and enjoy each one honestly). Every touchless Ive been in the nozzles are 3 to 4 feet away from the body. Its not as high of pressure that far from the nozzle.

It may be possible that other types are alot closer (drive in with tire track style?)

If the chemicals are that bad, My car must be "blood" red because, The stuff ate right thru her skin! :lol:

Im not pointing fingers here guys. Or trying to give people a virtual "b@%#h slap", No sir. I was a wee bit tired when I made that post last night and obviously did'nt feel that it was on the harsh side.

There must be a difference from the V6 stripe package and the shelby in the tape (Im not knocking any level of Mustang FWIW, Ive driven all 3 levels and enjoy each one honestly). Every touchless Ive been in the nozzles are 3 to 4 feet away from the body. Its not as high of pressure that far from the nozzle.

It may be possible that other types are alot closer (drive in with tire track style?)

If the chemicals are that bad, My car must be "blood" red because, The stuff ate right thru her skin! :lol:

At best I'd say it's a gamble on the difference of car wash, and how well or poorly the adhesive on your stripes held. Perhaps areas with less adhesive tore, or something.

- Tony

I will not use the 'touchless' car wash systems. Just way to much water pressure blasting away.

I do, however use the full service Mr. Car Wash here in Houston on a very regular basis. Have on all my cars for years. My 98 Cobra blue paint looked better than factory new when I sold it. Have never had them scratch any of my vehicles.

They did do some damage to a fiberglass running board on a truck I had years ago but they were very quick to get it repaired at thier expense.

So yes, my GT500 goes through the car was on occasion. I do it myself when I have time but I drive the car to work daily and will not drive it dirty.

The GT500 owners manual said do not use a carwash. They suggest hand wash only. I'm thinking its stated that way for a reason. :redcard:

On page 9, the manual states "Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle's low ground clearance, tire width, and track. Wash you vehicle by hand, with a commercial wand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechnical tracks on the floor."

The wide tires and low clearance are the stated reasons, not detergents and pressure.

I have used the touchless systems in the past on my vehicles without damage, but none have vinyl stripes. I've taken the Shelby to the carwash a couple times now, but might be something to reconsider if the stripes will truly strip off.

Hand wash your stripes. I don't know of a stripe in this world that can last past 1500 psi but there are many "touchless" car washes that boost the pressure way above this to make sure your car is clean. Trust me on this one.

Maybe my carwash runs 1499 psi? :hysterical2: (just messing around)

My stripes are perfect even after 20 touchless washes. 1500psi is at the nozzle, Which does not come close to your paint.

But im seriously done with this one now.

best reason I found is I just tried that Mr Clean car wash system. We have the worst hard water I have ever seen here and that system did wonders on my car (all black) and on my Harley (Black and silver with a lot of Chrome). Very worth the money and you only need about 5 minutes to wash and no drying required!

Archived